pre-paid gratuities

stilltogether

Hi all, my husband & I will be cruising the Caribbean in November & I have already pre-paid our gratuities in the total cost of our cruise. Does this mean that we don't need to tip any more when we are actually on the cruise? It is our first cruise & I think if we have already pre-paid these tips, then we're all paid up. I'm a little confused.

Hi all, my husband & I will be cruising the Caribbean in November & I have already pre-paid our gratuities in the total cost of our cruise. Does this mean that we don't need to tip any more when we are actually on the cruise? It is our first cruise & I think if we have already pre-paid these tips, then we're all paid up. I'm a little confused.

You don't have to tip additionally to the suggested gratuities that you've already paid. Of course, you can, if you wish. Some of us do. Others don't.

thanks for that reply. So if the service is exceptional, we can tip them extra. But if we don't tip them at the time, how do they know that we have already tipped them? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, I just don't know how it works.

The only tips that are not included would be porters at the ports and room service, depending on the cruise line of course. Only history I have had was with Carnival (Port of Miami). So other ports maybe different.

You do not need to pay a penny more if you choose not too. It is totally up to you to tip extra.

thanks for that reply. So if the service is exceptional, we can tip them extra. But if we don't tip them at the time, how do they know that we have already tipped them? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, I just don't know how it works.

Everything is computerized and the crew member will get a report listing the standardized gratuities paid. They'll know if anyone didn't give them a tip or if you do. What isn't clear, is when they get the report. It might be after the cruise ends.

I typically give my server and state room attendant a little more if their service was good.

I always tip a bit of extra cash along with a hand shake to the staff that has personally attended to me (cabin steward, repetitive bar staff, my servers). They always manage to go above the call of duty to make my cruise a joy. Those [extra] tips are a way of showing gratitude to those staff members. That hand shake and extra cash tells them that you actually took note of what they were doing for you and that you thought of them not as robots but as hard working human beings. Not a bad feeling.

It can also depend on the cruise line; there could be subtle differences between the lines. As an example, on Royal Caribbean prepaid tips include your room steward, all dining venues, and miscellaneous behind the scenes workers. Drink packages have an 18% tip. Or, if you order drinks individually there is an 18% tip added.

On RC you should tip room service and also any bar servers in the concierge lounge (if you have access) who serve your free drinks.

With prepaid you are pretty much covered, and if you choose to tip extra it's totally up to you.

the only thing that is NOT covered by pre paid grats is room service and any on board purchases( drinks unless you already have a drink package, salons/Spa, specialty coffees without a package, certain food items like Ice cream sundaes or cupcakes, etc). those items will have it automatically added.

they get a list that shows how everyone paid them: prepaid, daily charge and even if they had them removed.

they all have their own internal way of accounting for cash tips, whether in lieu of the daily charge on an account, or cash on top of what was charged.

Everything is computerized and the crew member will get a report listing the standardized gratuities paid. They'll know if anyone didn't give them a tip or if you do. What isn't clear, is when they get the report. It might be after the cruise ends.

I typically give my server and state room attendant a little more if their service was good.

I have seen the list( with our name on it) on the housekeeping cart in the middle of a cruise. no idea how often it is updated, it might be printed out fresh daily so any changes made will be reflected.

There was a lady that used to do the world cruise on QE2 probably every year. She had been to all the ports that the world cruise visits many times and [i believe] holds/held the record as the most traveled Cunard passenger. She traveled with a nice new bicycle to ride while visiting certain ports and kept it in her suite. At cruises end she gave the bike, along with a very nice gratuity (tipping back then was not a line item as it is today), to her cabin steward to keep or pass on to another crew member.

I last spoke with her four years ago on a short New England cruise aboard QM2. By now deep into her eighties I bet she is still adding miles to her Cunard legacy but the bike riding days are probably just a fond memory stored in a long life.

And how exactly do you know this?:confused:

There are pictures of these lists published on the internet -so why would you think that that information is not shared amongst the crew (who are affected by it)?

On some lines (Princess IIRC) there was a chit in our room in clear view showing that we had prepaid gratuities. I suspect the cabin steward can read.

Edited by SteveH2508

The staff also know who removed the tips, and on certain lower-end cruise lines, many do!

I'm not going to do your research for you, but it's out there. :cool:

I'm not going to research it either, but I believe that you and the others who espouse this info have no real idea or can verify if the ship posts the names and cabin numbers of passengers who have removed the gratuities.

It sounds to me that most of you are just quoting what you have read somewhere on this forum that hasn't been substantiated. Why would the cruise line take the time to publish a list of passengers who have removed the gratuity for the crew to see, and why would they give the crew a copy? What would be their purpose? Doesn't make sense other than it is a topic for the "experts" on this forum to discuss.:rolleyes:

I'm not going to research it either, but I believe that you and the others who espouse this info have no real idea or can verify if the ship posts the names and cabin numbers of passengers who have removed the gratuities.

It sounds to me that most of you are just quoting what you have read somewhere on this forum that hasn't been substantiated. Why would the cruise line take the time to publish a list of passengers who have removed the gratuity for the crew to see, and why would they give the crew a copy? What would be their purpose? Doesn't make sense other than it is a topic for the "experts" on this forum to discuss.:rolleyes:

Here ya go:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1180762/Outrage-cruise-passengers-dont-tip-revealed-staff.html

I don't think I've seen this mentioned anywhere, but if you take any excursions at ports of call, you might consider tipping guides/drivers. I'm lucky because, even in the Caribbean, anybody is happy to take U.S. dollars. If you fold up a few Australian dollars, I'm sure they'll take them.;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1180762/Outrage-cruise-passengers-dont-tip-revealed-staff.html

Taken out of context. It appears to be a one time incident and from what I read, copies were not handed out to the crew as a whole, and it is NOT common practice, and it was one ship of one cruise line. It clearly says:

A spokeswoman for the cruise company said: 'I've confirmed that this is absolutely not standard protocol and should not have happened. Crew members are not informed of which guests removed their gratuities until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked.

'This information should not have been posted, and shore side management is in communication with this vessel to ensure that it doesn't happen again.'

Taken out of context. It appears to be a one time incident and from what I read, copies were not handed out to the crew as a whole, and it is NOT common practice, and it was one ship of one cruise line. It clearly says:

A spokeswoman for the cruise company said: 'I've confirmed that this is absolutely not standard protocol and should not have happened. Crew members are not informed of which guests removed their gratuities until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked.

'This information should not have been posted, and shore side management is in communication with this vessel to ensure that it doesn't happen again.'

I have seen such lists on the wall of I95 on a behind the scenes tour and on the steward's cart in the hallway. You believe what you like - I know what I have seen.

You seriously think CCL corporate would reply any other way? Oh yes because big business is always honest with their customers!:rolleyes:

You seriously think CCL corporate would reply any other way? Oh yes because big business is always honest with their customers!:rolleyes:

It was on the internet so it must be true. Have you personally ever been able to verify the allegation that the crew is notified if someone removes the gratuity?:rolleyes:

We always tip a couple of dollars for room service. My husband will tip the room steward at the very beginning (rather generously) with special instructions and we will never want for nothing the rest of the cruise.

If we have a constant waiter and bartender we do the same.