Local money - how much

aunty69

Hi, we are due to go on our first cruise with Diamond Princess on November 29th and are going to Vietnam, Kota Kimbala, and Thailand - do we need local currency for each port and if so how much. We are only in each port for apprex half a day. Thanks in advance

On what you have said so far, it's impossible to say! What are you planning on doing on each stop - ship-arranged excursions, self-planned trips, walk ashore and explore, go shopping?

Perfect answer. If you are doing ship excursions in each port, or not even getting off the ship, you will probably not need any local currency. As opposed to independent tours, meals, shopping, etc, where you might need local currency (if credit cards weren't appropriate).

We've found it easier to wait until you get to each port. It has been our experience that there is always an ATM or money changing booth right there. If we are just going exploring, we might get $20 - $50 in local money for those small snacks and souvenirs. For any sizable purchases we always use a credit card. Visa and MasterCard are pretty universally accepted. We always have two or three different ones in case one doesn't work for any reason. Make sure and call your credit card companies ahead of time to inform them of your up-coming travel plans.

Hi thank you for your replies, yes I realised afterwards I hadn't put much detail. We are doing a few walk arounds by ourselves and then a few organised. Thanks julesdb99 that is really helpful particularly about informing credit card companies.

Hi, we are due to go on our first cruise with Diamond Princess on November 29th and are going to Vietnam, Kota Kimbala, and Thailand - do we need local currency for each port and if so how much. We are only in each port for apprex half a day. Thanks in advance

This is what I would do if I was on this cruise:

Singapore: You need SGD there, and I am assuming you will be staying there before the cruise.

Vietnam. Use USD small bills. VND not required.

Thailand. As you are there for two stops I would buy some THB from a money changer when you are in Singapore.

Malaysia: You could do the same and buy some in Singapore, or you may be able to use small USD bills there.

Local money changers may come on board when you arrive in Thailand.

This is what I would do if I was on this cruise:

Singapore: You need SGD there, and I am assuming you will be staying there before the cruise.

Vietnam. Use USD small bills. VND not required.

Thailand. As you are there for two stops I would buy some THB from a money changer when you are in Singapore.

Malaysia: You could do the same and buy some in Singapore, or you may be able to use small USD bills there.

Local money changers may come on board when you arrive in Thailand.

That is soooooo helpful, thank you very much

Depends.

Hi thank you for your replies, yes I realised afterwards I hadn't put much detail. We are doing a few walk arounds by ourselves and then a few organised. Thanks julesdb99 that is really helpful particularly about informing credit card companies.

I've spent between nothing and thousands in port, it just depends on what your doing.