Fun Luxury Cruise

gigipops9951

I am looking for a fun cruise for my husband and I and a group of friends. We will have about 10 couples all in their 60's. We still like to have fun but want a luxury cruise. About 6 years ago we went on Oceania Regatta and were the very youngest on the ship. After dinner the ship was totally quiet. We went to Horizons and were the only ones in there. They came a hooked up some music but it was our tiny group of 20 fun people. I realize that we are 6 years older but we still like a lively bar and a place to dance at night.

It looks like Oceania is the only luxury line that is in our price range. We are looking at Riviera for Europe next May. I am hoping that since it is twice as large as Regatta that maybe there will be a little more action at night. Do you have another line that you would recommend??

Riviera ship may be bigger but on a port intensive cruise the ship will probably be quiet after 11pm as people will be getting up early for tours the next day

How about Windstar or Seadream they cater to younger crowd

It is not just about luxury cruise lines, but more about the age group they attract. Even on some mass market lines (like HAL) that attract an older crowd on longer cruises...the ship goes to sleep by 9:30 or 10. Cruise lines like Windstar (somebody mentioned them) are OK, but not known for night life. So what to do?

To be honest, we feel your pain. DW and I are in our 60s, cruise over 70 days a year, and find that lines with our age group tend to die early.... On HAL we do not even have to wait in line to dine at 8pm...since most of the ship prefers to dine before 6!

The nature of Luxury lines, and even some mass market lines, is that they are dead at night. A good compromise is Crystal since they combine a larger ship, luxury, and a more active crowd (because of the larger numbers). We have also had some luck on Azamara....but would suspect its hit or miss since this line is similar (in many ways) to Oceania.

Many years ago, DW and I ended up on a Carnival Cruise because the line of our choice went bankrupt a few weeks before our scheduled Christmas cruise. At the last minute, the only available ship was the Carnival Destiny...and we had promised DD a Xmas cruise. So we held our nose and booked Carnival. The fist evening, while having a drink at a packed and fun bar, we befriended another family whose "daddy" told us that he and his wife usually cruised on Seabourn. But, he said, at Christmas time he took his extended family on Carnival because it was fun! Perhaps there is a message.

We have recently spend 70 days on 2 HAL cruises (all since March) and the cruises were fine. But as is typical of HAL, the ship was dead by 10! Every November we take a 14 day Celebrity cruise....where folks pack the Martini bar until late (many of us have drink packages) and its a lot of fun. Yes, we are among the older folks....but all seems to work when we have a martini in our hands. So we think you might have to compromise. If you want luxury you will sacrifice fun (maybe Crystal is the exception). Of you book one of the better mass market lines...give up some luxury...and perhaps find a fun group. You also might consider paying for a suite on Celebrity...so you get a bit of luxury with suite amenities (including dining in Luminae) with a more fun crowd.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Riviera ship may be bigger but on a port intensive cruise the ship will probably be quiet after 11pm as people will be getting up early for tours the next day

Very very true.

European cruises are, IMO, for folks looking for a floating hotel to allow them to visit numerous spots in a short period of time.

Some of my most enjoyable cruises have been on crossings or itineraries with many sea days (such as some So American itineraries). No "I've got an excursion at 8:30" mindset so you are more likely to find others who are there for the ship experience rather than the ports.

OK, I am really asking here more than recommending, as I have never sailed on Norwegian, but can you get the 'luxury" thing by getting Haven suites? With a group your size you could probably book the whole thing, for all I know; then you could have whatever nightlife is on NCL -- I assume there is some -- but retreat to your retreat for the "luxury."

Otherwise, charter a yacht? It might be doable since you have a large group... Then don't you just put in an "order" for whatever type of fun you want?

What about doing NCL in the Haven? Semi luxe setup in the enclave, but nightlife elsewhere goes on late.

Ha! We are like-minded night owls: you and I posted the same thing within 20 minutes of each other!

Perhaps you have actually sailed on NCL, and in the Haven? (as I have not)