Star Princess - what's best? what to avoid?

RescueDontBuy

Soon to sail the Star Princess to Alaska, looking for some tips on what is best and not to miss on this ship and what to avoid? Love to hear about favorite dishes or really special desserts not to miss. Also, any neat out of the way places to see or find on the ship. Best viewing locations? Any tips would be appreciated.

Soon to sail the Star Princess to Alaska, looking for some tips on what is best and not to miss on this ship and what to avoid? Love to hear about favorite dishes or really special desserts not to miss. Also, any neat out of the way places to see or find on the ship. Best viewing locations? Any tips would be appreciated.

Skywalkers, a great vantage point. Usually quiet during the day.

The Crown Grill, Sabatini's specialty restaurants.

The Chefs Table dinner held once or twice during the cruise based on how many show interest in attending. Only 12 people per dinner and a fantastic and special meal. ($95)

Outside viewing area Promenade deck. (especially forward up the stairs.)

Escargot!!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Don't miss the two for one cocktails in the Wheelhouse Bar. It's normally every day between 3:00 - 4:00 pm.

If you like a quiet swimming pool with a view of the wake, the aft pool area is a great place to relax.

If you have anytime dining, I would recommend waiting until 7:30 pm and going to the restaurant on Deck 6, mid-ship. I find that the one on Deck 5 mid-ship is too rushed.

One dish that I really like in the Main dining room is the surf and turf. It's a small filet mignon with some large shrimp. Not many people mention this dish, but I think it's good. Also try the Crab Shack. It will be offered a couple of nights up in the Horizon Court. You should also be able to get some good salmon and halibut on the Alaska Cruise.

Try a Volcano (banana split off the kids menu) at least once ;)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34772%3Enu%3D3256%3E48%3B%3E385%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A%3A%3A%3C4429232%3Bnu0mrj

and any of (or all ;)) the Norman Love Chocolate Journey desserts....

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv39587%3Enu%3D3%3A%3A%3A%3E%3B6%3A%3E2%3C5%3E2%3B9%3B%3B6%3A3%3B623%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv357%3C7%3Enu%3D3%3A%3A%3A%3E%3B6%3A%3E2%3C3%3E2%3B9%3B%3B6%3A3%3B423%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B4%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3%3A%3A%3A%3E%3B6%3A%3E2%3B%3B%3E2%3B9%3B%3B6%3A3%3A%3C23%3Aot1lsi

Sensing a theme here...???

We just came off the Star a week & 1/2 ago...wishing you a wonderful cruise !!!

Just got back last night from the 5/16 cruise. We had absolutely beautiful weather. I found for Glacier and whale viewing Deck 15 was the best place. In Glacier Bay and College Fjord the bow viewing platform was open and the views to both sides were spectacular. Other times there was always a group on 15 to either side of the ship up near the Tradewinds bar. Any sightings would be relayed to those on the other side. And we could move back and forth with ease.

I was told that the view on the promenade deck was great, but that you did not have easy access to sightings on the other side.

We ended up spending a good portion of our waking ours up there. It was sunny but windy and cool so dress warmly.

Just got back last night from the 5/16 cruise. We had absolutely beautiful weather. I found for Glacier and whale viewing Deck 15 was the best place. In Glacier Bay and College Fjord the bow viewing platform was open and the views to both sides were spectacular. Other times there was always a group on 15 to either side of the ship up near the Tradewinds bar. Any sightings would be relayed to those on the other side. And we could move back and forth with ease.

I was told that the view on the promenade deck was great, but that you did not have easy access to sightings on the other side.

We ended up spending a good portion of our waking ours up there. It was sunny but windy and cool so dress warmly.

Sounds like a great time. :)

I agree that SkyWalkers is great place to view the wake and enjoy some peace and quiet during the day. I also love the aft pool area right outside of the Horizon Court. I eat my buffet meals outside on that deck instead of inside the horizon court.

Definitely go to the International Café. I love the shrimp salad, chicken salad, cheesecake, cronut, and many more items.:D:D:D I also really like the black and white mocha at the specialty coffee bar.

I am a Crown Grill fan. I typically get filet mignon with béarnaise sauce and the lobster tails. Also, the scallop appetizer is fantastic. In the Main Dining Room, I really like to order a pasta each night from the left side of the menu. There will be some that are the same every night and then something new each night. I love the Veal Bowtie Pasta the best.

Have a great cruise.

I enjoyed Skywalker's lounge, during the day for a good vantage point. I enjoyed sabatini's for the way their steak was seasoned. The crew was welcoming and knowledgeable and efficient. All in all a good trip.

I agree that SkyWalkers is great place to view the wake and enjoy some peace and quiet during the day. I also love the aft pool area right outside of the Horizon Court. I eat my buffet meals outside on that deck instead of inside the horizon court.

Definitely go to the International Café. I love the shrimp salad, chicken salad, cheesecake, cronut, and many more items.:D:D:D I also really like the black and white mocha at the specialty coffee bar.

I am a Crown Grill fan. I typically get filet mignon with béarnaise sauce and the lobster tails. Also, the scallop appetizer is fantastic. In the Main Dining Room, I really like to order a pasta each night from the left side of the menu. There will be some that are the same every night and then something new each night. I love the Veal Bowtie Pasta the best.

Have a great cruise.

Now I am hungry. :rolleyes: :cool: :D