Coffee cards

Dorset Cruiser

Hope its not true as I have a couple of completely unused cards which we received in exchange for our Elite bar on a previous cruise. Not planning another Princess cruise any time soon. In fact if they can still be used, might Ebay them :)

I just returned from the British Isles cruise on the Royal and used two "old" cards at the International Café. First, I have to say that Princess needs to develop and implement a written coffee card policy and post it somewhere for all of us and be sure the ship's staff is aware of it.

The first day I went to the International Café with my cards and ordered a back coffee. The woman who was at the "order" site, looked at each of my cards, noted CP and Ocean, and punched the card. Then DH went up for coffee and was told to buy a new card for black coffee [it was not from the glass pot, but an urn tucked beside the counter]. He returned without the coffee so I marched up and told another served, "black coffee." Got it without a punch.

After that, I never had any card punched for a regular coffee, though I expected to have it done. I'm very much into a good cup of quality coffee and have to admit, the coffee served at the buffet in Horizon Court/Bistro was very good, not the swill 've had on other ships. Must be using a better quality of coffee on the Royal.

As an aside, the card can be used for gelato. It's not posted anywhere, except in the sit down menu. I was charged for gelato - $3.50, plus tip/service charge.

I just finished my post cruise survey and noted the need for a consistent policy on the coffee cards.

Darcy

We just got off the Ruby and were told when we purchased the card that it would only be good during that cruise. I had one punch left the final morning, so I gave the card to someone standing in line at the coffee bar. I didn't want to try and use it on our next cruise and end up getting frustrated by all the different opinions.

A couple of years ago Princess changed their coffee card rules. That was because many people left at least 1 punch on the card and continued to use that card for brewed coffee only. Then the rule change which was each coffee card would have the ship and date written on the back by someone from the staff. Each card could be used only for that cruise for brewed coffee. However you could always use any coffee card for specialty drinks such as a espresso until all the punches were use up.

With that said I have had coffee cards with nothing written on the back and continued to use them for brewed coffee with no problem. Princess doesn't seem to be consistent with their rules at all. Just DO NOT laminate your coffee cards since that is a dead give away the coffee card is not from the cruise you are on.

BTW for brewed coffee, your card should NEVER be punched at all. The punches are for specialty coffee's only. Don't let any employee even try to punch the card for regular coffee.

So a card from ANY cruise with punches left can be used for speciality coffees and punched accordingly but CANNOT be used for unlimited brewed coffee, hot chocolate or tea?

It can also be used for brewed coffee but will be punched each time. Not sure if it's the same for hot chocolate/tea as I don't drink them.

It can also be used for brewed coffee but will be punched each time. Not sure if it's the same for hot chocolate/tea as I don't drink them.

Hot chocolate/tea are the "same" as brewed coffee for the cruise on which you bought the card.

That being said, on our last cruise we had 2 used coffee cards from 2 different sailings and when we ordered hot chocolate (yum), sometimes the card was punched, most of the time it was not.:cool:

I marched up and told another served, "black coffee." Got it without a punch.

Is this the part you want fixed? That you were able to use a

card from another ship for brewed coffee, and you should not

have been able to?

I'm charitable -- I'll agree with you. Princess should fix it.

It this had happened to me, I would have cancelled the steward's tip immediately.

Edited by pablo222

We just got off the Ruby and were told when we purchased the card that it would only be good during that cruise. I had one punch left the final morning, so I gave the card to someone standing in line at the coffee bar. I didn't want to try and use it on our next cruise and end up getting frustrated by all the different opinions.

We have purchased maybe 20 plus cards so far and I have been told this from the beginning. :confused:

Well acvording to Vantec the vicious rumours are true ;)

Guess we will have to wait and see if it will be substantiated.

Then the barista was wrong...each card clearly states "Unused specially coffees redeemable on next voyage. Complementary coffee and tea only applicable to voyage of purchase".

The correct procedure was followed on the Regal in April.

On another recent thread about sodas someone was told on CC that Princess never allows any sort of liquid to be brought onboard. They were told this by someone on CC who said it was absolutely "correct"...it's absolutely "wrong".

Not everything posted on CC is accurate & many of the rumors prove to be false. And just because a crewmember incorrectly doesn't follow policy that doesn't mean that the policy has changed.

Then the barista was wrong...each card clearly states "Unused specially coffees redeemable on next voyage. Complementary coffee and tea only applicable to voyage of purchase".

The correct procedure was followed on the Regal in April.

On another recent thread about sodas someone was told on CC that Princess never allows any sort of liquid to be brought onboard. They were told this by someone on CC who said it was absolutely "correct"...it's absolutely "wrong".

Not everything posted on CC is accurate & many of the rumors prove to be false. And just because a crewmember incorrectly doesn't follow policy that doesn't mean that the policy has changed.

That is exactly what my card said. Just off Star Princess and those are the rules that were followed.

I'm surprised that they don't like using the unused punches for regular coffee when the card is from a different cruise. I would be more then happy for them to do it just to get rid of the old cards. I like the specialty coffees in the afternoon but I just want my one cup of coffee in the morning. I'm getting quite a collection of cards.

Edited by waltd

FWIW our read of our card was pretty clear

Unused punches free to save and use on future cruise

Free complimentary tea and stuff, for the specific cruise only. Reason they write in your ship and cruise on the back of the card.

All makes sense, why should Princess give any cruise that ever purchased a lifetime freebie, too good to be true, and nu surprise why that isn't allowed.

I am going on the Crown in 3 weeks and am planning on getting a card. My first time with the card. So I will get 15 specialty coffees and then unlimited, brewed coffee, tea and hot chocolate? Gratuity not included. Can my husband and I share the card, or is it passenger specific?

I am going on the Crown in 3 weeks and am planning on getting a card. My first time with the card. So I will get 15 specialty coffees and then unlimited, brewed coffee, tea and hot chocolate? Gratuity not included. Can my husband and I share the card, or is it passenger specific?

Grat is included when you buy the card.

Punches can be shared but technically the brewed portion is for one passenger (cardholder)

We are going on our first Princess cruise on Royal Princess next month so dont know about these coffee cards.

Do we need to buy one each or can we buy one between us and get it punched twice.Presumably only one person could get the no punch drinks.

We are not big coffee drinkers - what teas are available ? Are they served in real cups or take away type.

Is there somewhere to sit and have a drink?

thanks