Lunch in the MDR?

Chuckwick3

We will be cruising on the Star Princess. I was wondering if anybody has been able to have their embarkation lunch in one of the main dining rooms instead of being forced to eat with the masses?

Thanks!

We will be cruising on the Star Princess. I was wondering if anybody has been able to have their embarkation lunch in one of the main dining rooms instead of being forced to eat with the masses?

Thanks!

Yes 1 of the DR's will be open from Noon-1:30.

Its the best! We do it every time. :D

Regarding lunches (and breakfasts) in the MDR, is it possible to have your own table for two, or is it required that you join other parties? Depending on our mood, either would be okay, but I sort of hate joining a table that is already underway with their meals and conversations. Depending on the people involved, it can sometimes be awkward to join midstream.

Thanks.

Regarding lunches (and breakfasts) in the MDR, is it possible to have your own table for two, or is it required that you join other parties? Depending on our mood, either would be okay, but I sort of hate joining a table that is already underway with their meals and conversations. Depending on the people involved, it can sometimes be awkward to join midstream.

Thanks.

We've never had any trouble getting a table for two.

Thanks.

You can request your own table. Not a problem.

When we went on the Golden Princess last October out of L.A. for a 3 night cruise, there was no MDR open at 12:30 when we boarded. I just wanted to check and see if this was something they were still doing so thank you for all your answers.

Thanks.

Absolutely you can have any type of table you want. Just ask. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks.

This has never happened to us at lunch or breakfast. The MD has always asked for size of table preferred and then looks for a table that hasn't "started" yet.

Not saying it doesn't happen...;)

Breakfast and lunch are not as crowded, so it is easy to accommodate your wishes.

Two things,though:

Staff is often unenthusiastic about letting you have embarkation-day lunch in the MDR, going so far as to steer you to the Horizon Court. Sometimes they'll tell you that only those doing the Bon Voyage Experience, or in special groups, are entitled. I've had to (politely but firmly) insist once or twice. (I've never been on a cruise shorter than 7 days, though, so don't know about your 3-dayer.)

Second, in my experience, seating for new diners closes at 1:30 sharp. Since your cruise history indicates you're not entitled to priority boarding (unless you're in a suite), you may have to hustle to get there in time or miss it all together.

If the mass-trough scene at the buffet doesn't thrill you, you can always grab something nice at the International Café and either eat in the Piazza or take the food back to your stateroom.

Edited by shepp

Lunch on embarktion day is a hit and miss for us in San Pedro for the last 4 cruises. With the coast guard delays and norovirus cleaning, we have ony been able to attend lunch in the dining room 1 out of 4 cruises so far.

Also, I noticed at sea day lunch, if you want a table for your party only, no sharing, they try and get you to dine with others or they tell you there is like a 20 minute wait, when you tell them you don't mind waiting, they seat you right away. I guess they don't want a bunch of people waiting for a table.

Also, I noticed at sea day lunch, if you want a table for your party only, no sharing, they try and get you to dine with others or they tell you there is like a 20 minute wait, when you tell them you don't mind waiting, they seat you right away. I guess they don't want a bunch of people waiting for a table.

We have never experienced this. We have not seen more then 20 or so other diners.

Always nice and quiet. Its been several years since we have missed an embarkation lunch.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When we went on the Golden Princess last October out of L.A. for a 3 night cruise, there was no MDR open at 12:30 when we boarded. I just wanted to check and see if this was something they were still doing so thank you for all your answers.

Hmm, we did a B2B on the Golden in Oct and the MDR was open for lunch on both embarkation days. On one of them they had a very limited menu (which we had seen on the Ruby in March) and on the other day they had a regular lunch menu.

Edited by ar1950

We have never experienced this. We have not seen more then 20 or so other diners.

tonit964 was referring to sea day lunches, not embarkation day. There are usually many more than 20 diners on sea days at lunch time.

Thanks!

Check in the Princess Patter, which should be in your cabin when you get there. Take it with you. On our cruise they tried to dissuade us from eating there but I pushed (actually I mentioned Cruise Critic :D) and they let us in. We had a lovely lunch. I don't think there were any other passengers eating there that day so it was lovely and peaceful, and we had exceptional service ;)

Yes, we noticed that too.

After a few days they recognised us and we always got a table for two without waiting for more than a couple of minutes.

Following up on shepp's post: we experienced the staff trying to steer people to the Horizon Court for lunch. Based on other comments that I've read here, I've discovered that the staff is instructed to answer the question that you asked. Therefore:

"Where can I get lunch?" is answered with "Horizon Court, deck <blah>".

"Which dining room is open for lunch?" is answered with "<blah> DR, deck <blah>, but you can also get lunch in Horizon Court..."

Following up on shepp's post: we experienced the staff trying to steer people to the Horizon Court for lunch. Based on other comments that I've read here, I've discovered that the staff is instructed to answer the question that you asked. Therefore:

"Where can I get lunch?" is answered with "Horizon Court, deck <blah>".

"Which dining room is open for lunch?" is answered with "<blah> DR, deck <blah>, but you can also get lunch in Horizon Court..."

If they don't want us there, they shouldn't open it at all.

Our first couple of cruises, being newbies, we asked "where is the MDR" - because we knew from CC that one is open. The answer was always "go to Horizon Court". We were recently on a BVE on Pacific Princess and asked where is the MDR (different ship layout entirely). Same answer, even though our BVE stickers were on our shirts.:eek:

Lunch on embarktion day is a hit and miss for us in San Pedro for the last 4 cruises. With the coast guard delays and norovirus cleaning, we have ony been able to attend lunch in the dining room 1 out of 4 cruises so far.

Just for anyone's info,

On our last cruise in April out of San Pedro, 10 day cruise on the Golden, we did board way late due to( they said Coast Guard inspection) They finally starting boarding around 1:20PM. We were in the 1st group to board & we thought we missed the MDR lunch.:( It is my favorite meal on the cruise. But in the elevator one of the cruisers said she was told the MDR would be open late due to us boarding so late. We tried it & was really surprised that they let us in. We probably got to the MDR @ around 1:45PM. Many people came in way after us & were able to get in. So it goes to show that if you board late due to it being Princess's fault try anyway.

Just my little tip of the day.

Thanks to all of our troops that fought for our freedom

While we have been steered to the buffet on other lines, answer to MDR on embarkation on Princess has always been conveyed politely. It has never been crowded and we enjoy it very much. However, if for some reason it wasn't available, I would choose to go to the international Café for soup, salad or sandwich, followed of course, with a delicious pastry.

There were not many in the dining room on embarkation today when I actually arrived before 1.30PM always been welcomed.

The other option is International Cafe they have very nice snacks there if you do not wish to go to the court and arrive after 1.30PM :)