Early reports from Crown to Alaska?

jasbo49

I'm trying to be patient, but it's not working. We're set to sail to Alaska RT from Seattle on May 30, and I'm looking for reports from the May 16 sailing. Anyone out there just return? Have any tidbits for those of us anticipating?

I know sometimes it's daunting coming up with a full review, but I'm curious about:

-- The Alaskan menu: were there a lot of menu items tailored to the territory?

-- How about entertainment? MUTS, production shows?

-- Enrichment lectures? Did you have Michael Modzelewski?

-- Was there any Sound of Music related stuff?

And anything else you care to pass along. Thanks in advance.

Jim

I am awaiting reports back from Alaska as well. I don't sail until June 20th, so I have a couple of cruises in between. But I would like to hear back and see platters if anyone has them.

I am waiting too we don't sail till the 13th. I was wondering about progressive check in. This is our first time on Princess and our documents state we should board at 2:30 I was hoping to be on before then.

We always ignore progressive check in and haven't had a problem. Princess seems to usually start boarding around noon. In transit passengers, Elites, Platinum, and then everyone else usually close to order of check-in.

We always ignore progressive check in and haven't had a problem. Princess seems to usually start boarding around noon. In transit passengers, Elites, Platinum, and then everyone else usually close to order of check-in.

Thanks for the info I was hoping we could board early other wise we will have to find a place to hang out after we check out of our hotel

Thanks for the info I was hoping we could board early other wise we will have to find a place to hang out after we check out of our hotel

That's one of the reasons the staggered boarding times are usually just a suggestion in order to reduce congestion.

Hello, I just returned from this sailing. This was our first cruise so I have nothing else to compare it to, but it was AMAZING. Weather was perfect, Crown was beautiful, food was good, shows were entertaining, people were friendly, etc. I could go on and on.

I have attached copies of all the patters (hopefully I did it right).

Embarkation was very easy. Our documents stated boarding would be between 1:00 and 3:00. We arrived around 10:15 expecting to kill a few hours. We noticed about 5 people in line so we got in it. They took our luggage and opened the door. We had filled out our health questionnaire, checked in, and were sitting in the waiting area by 10:30. They started boarding the ship at 11:00. We were in our room by 11:15. The best advice I received from Cruise Critic was to go to the dining room for lunch. They were right. Our documentation said the buffet was open for lunch, but we looked at our patter and headed to the empty dining room (there were only about 20 people eating the whole time we were there).

Day 1 - Embark.pdf

Day 2 - At Sea.pdf

Day 3 - Juneau.pdf

Day 4 - Skagway.pdf

Day 5 - Glacier Bay.pdf

Day 6 - Ketchikan.pdf

Day 7 - Victoria.pdf

Hello, I just returned from this sailing. This was our first cruise so I have nothing else to compare it to, but it was AMAZING. Weather was perfect, Crown was beautiful, food was good, shows were entertaining, people were friendly, etc. I could go on and on.

Embarkation was very easy. Our documents stated boarding would be between 1:00 and 3:00. We arrived around 10:15 expecting to kill a few hours. We noticed about 5 people in line so we got in it. They took our luggage and opened the door. We had filled out our health questionnaire, checked in, and were sitting in the waiting area by 10:30. They started boarding the ship at 11:00. We were in our room by 11:15. The best advice I received from Cruise Critic was to go to the dining room for lunch. They were right. Our documentation said the buffet was open for lunch, but we looked at our patter and headed to the empty dining room (there were only about 20 people eating the whole time we were there).

[ATTACH]350508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350509[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350511[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350514[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting these. :)

Thanks for posting these! I don't suppose you took any pictures of menus, particularly the new Alaska items? :o

Unfortunately, no. I didn't think of it. We literally ate all over the ship so I can't even offer any suggestions. The MDR had a good Alaskan salmon on the 2nd formal night. Also, the lobster and filet were very good in Crown Grill. We ate there on the 1st formal night. I can't even remember what we had at Sabatinis. We also ate in a few ports. I guess I should have paid more attention, LOL.

[ATTACH]350508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350509[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350511[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]350514[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much for posting the Patters! We are sailing this same itinerary on July 11th and have never been to Alaska. I love being able to read through these before we leave to give us an idea of the ship activities we often miss because we are so excited to be on the ship (or tired the next morning), we don't take the time to review the Patters at the start of each day like we should. :)

If you haven't booked an excursion for Skagway, you should consider the White Pass Train and Yukon Experience (8hrs). We did this last week on the Crown and it is absolutely amazing. The bus ride up and the scenery is just unbelievable as is the train ride down. You will see a lot more from the bus than you will from the train, but still all is just breath taking. We did the Mendenhall Glacier which was very interesting, but not even comparable to Glacier Bay. It was still interesting. In Ketchikan we did the hop on and off trolley, don't waste your money. Did a little shopping on Creek Street and that was the highlite of the tour.

This was our first trip to Alaska and we are already talking about going back. The sights were unbelievable. We saw lots of wildlife, to include bears, sea otters, eagles, whales and sea lions.

If you haven't booked an excursion for Skagway, you should consider the White Pass Train and Yukon Experience (8hrs). We did this last week on the Crown and it is absolutely amazing. The bus ride up and the scenery is just unbelievable as is the train ride down. You will see a lot more from the bus than you will from the train, but still all is just breath taking.

As nice as this excursion is (we have done it twice), you will see so much more renting a car from Avis in town and driving into the Yukon. We have done it twice and are going to do it again next month. Rent the car and download Yukon Murray's guide. You will have an incredible day!

If you haven't booked an excursion for Skagway, you should consider the White Pass Train and Yukon Experience (8hrs). We did this last week on the Crown and it is absolutely amazing. The bus ride up and the scenery is just unbelievable as is the train ride down. You will see a lot more from the bus than you will from the train, but still all is just breath taking.

As nice as this excursion is, you will see so much more renting a car from Avis in town and driving into the Yukon. We have done it twice and are going to do it again next month. Rent the car, it is an easy drive, and download Yukon Murray's guide. You will have an incredible day!

Just wondering, does the ship switch to island time?

Overnight, on the second night, it switches to Alaska Daylight Time. At least I think that's what it's called. It stays there for most of the cruise.

Jim