What do the cruise lines charge for babies?

Does anyone know the additional charges for babies from each cruise line? I heard that some are free and others are full price as if it was an additional adult.

Does anyone know the additional charges for babies from each cruise line? I heard that some are free and others are full price as if it was an additional adult.

From reading the boards, I believe the only line that has a reduced rate for children is NCL. Other's charge full rate for first two in a stateroom and then lower rates for third and fourth passengers.

I think Disney might give a break for babies too. I vaguely remember reading that. I won't sail them, too much Mouse :) I love Disney, but on a ship? Maybe not so much. Which means more room for the Mouse addicted!

I think Disney might give a break for babies too. I vaguely remember reading that. I won't sail them, too much Mouse :) I love Disney, but on a ship? Maybe not so much. Which means more room for the Mouse addicted!

Yes that's correct, it's on an age scale. But when we went, it pretty much broke down to $899 for EACH child when you average the two out (one child age 4 and one infant 7 months at the time). So it's not exactly a bargain. :eek:

Make sure you price out your entire cabin before making a decision. I found that a Princess cruise was less than NCL for the time/place we were going even though I had to pay $299 for each child, because the adult fares were less.

Best,

Mia

My niece paid the 3rd person rate for her 9 month old. She gave Special Services a list of baby food and formula and they provided it. They tried to charge for the bottled water to put in the formula, but her e-mail said it was included also, so they didn't. I would suggest bringing along a back up in case they don't have what your baby is used to.

My niece paid the 3rd person rate for her 9 month old. She gave Special Services a list of baby food and formula and they provided it. They tried to charge for the bottled water to put in the formula, but her e-mail said it was included also, so they didn't. I would suggest bringing along a back up in case they don't have what your baby is used to.

Baby Food and formula is not available on all cruiselines. Which cruiseline was your niece on? We've had to take our own on every cruise we've ever been on. Maybe we just weren't asked though.

I want to find out which cruiseline provide baby food, too. We want to pack as light as we can.

I believe that both Princess and Celebrity do, not sure about others. HOWEVER, some people have posted about mix-ups regarding cruise-line supplied baby food and formula, everything from not having it at all to not having the right stuff, or having wierd stuff that the baby won't eat. Honestly, I would rather just feed my baby smashed up table food, like at home. But if you really want to feed jar baby food, I would really consider just bringing it. Think of it this way, you'll have lots of room cleared out of your suitcase for souveniers once you use up the baby food and diapers. Also, I always feel like I have too many bags, but I don't lug them around, that's what I tip porters to do ;) I'm sure it will even be worse this fall when I have a toddler and a baby. I'm saving tip money already :D

I believe that both Princess and Celebrity do, not sure about others. HOWEVER, some people have posted about mix-ups regarding cruise-line supplied baby food and formula, everything from not having it at all to not having the right stuff, or having wierd stuff that the baby won't eat. Honestly, I would rather just feed my baby smashed up table food, like at home. But if you really want to feed jar baby food, I would really consider just bringing it. Think of it this way, you'll have lots of room cleared out of your suitcase for souveniers once you use up the baby food and diapers. Also, I always feel like I have too many bags, but I don't lug them around, that's what I tip porters to do ;) I'm sure it will even be worse this fall when I have a toddler and a baby. I'm saving tip money already :D

I agree with Shellie! I took our own formula and I mashed up all of the table foods I could. You figure they offer so many fruits and veggies onboard, there is always something to mash up. And my 9 month old (at the time) got such a variety of things. She loved it.

Princess faxed me a form to fill out with how many jars of each kind I wanted (fruit/vegetable/dinner), as well as boxes of baby cereal, and we had no complication, though my girls loved all the soups, yogurt, veggies, oatmeal, etc., and the waiters always asked if they could arrange for anything special to be made.

It is essential that you bring more than enough diapers and formula - one mother accidentally dumped a can of formula and of course none is available on board. (She was able to visit a Sam's Club in port though.) I just brought two of the jumbo boxes of diapers (since I have twins), so we could just throw the boxes away as we used them.

Best,

Mia

I booked a Carnival cruise for April 2007. Our baby will be around 6 months old at that time. I had to pay the 3rd person rate. I priced other cruiselines like Disney that don't charge for infants and the Carnival cruise was still much cheaper. It is an 8 day cruise and stops at 5 different ports, it was a better deal all around. With Carnival you have to pay tips of $10 a day per person over age 2 so we won't have to pay a tip for the baby. Carnival rents strollers, high chairs and cribs...and also offers babysitting at certain times for $6 an hour.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried to book NCL Pearl thinking that babies are free. They wanted $750 for a baby (the adult fare was $950), so babys don't even get a free ride on NCL anymore!:confused:

I just tried to book NCL Pearl thinking that babies are free. They wanted $750 for a baby (the adult fare was $950), so babys don't even get a free ride on NCL anymore!:confused:

If trying to book online through ncl.com it can be weird. If your baby is less than 2, definitely call the NCL 1-800 number to speak with someone. I have noticed going through cheapcruises dot com you actually input if they are less than one and the rates show only the government/port charges (and not a third person rate). We haven't booked our cruise yet (awaiting final approval for hubby's 2007 vacation dates) but I did notice that difference with trying ncl.com versus others in seeing grand total booking costs.

We are going on the NCL Crown in October and our then 11 month old is free, just port and gov't fees, no cruise fare (upon first calling a different online TA we were told that the baby had to pay, but then upon further investigation the TA said that she would be free... maybe you should ask a different TA about the fare). Our TA asked about high chairs (provided at no charge), crib (provided at no charge, but we decided to bring her pack n play), and baby food (not provided).

• 5 weeks later...

I called Norwegian today to get a price. The baby (1 year at sailing) was only $236, which was just port and taxes. I can confirm that celebrity and royal caribbean charge full third person rates. Disney is also much cheaper for babies (but more expensive for everyone else).

Archived