Hurricane Season, R/T Galveston Tx late August

I am a new member and inexperienced (compared to you all.)

Today is the last day I can pay deposit on Carnival's Magic, 7 days Belize and Cozumel. THE DATE IS AUGUST 30TH. I have traveled to hot humid places, usually with hotel. I now love cruising.

Please be honest b4 I part with my money, it's hard to get back.

WHAT DO YOU "ESTIMATE" MY CHANCES OF HITTING HURRICANES THERE IN THE GULF ARE? I KNOW CARNIVAL GOES ALL THE TIME. THE CARNIVAL MAGIC LOOKED AWESOME! BUT AWESOME DOESN'T COUNT IF WE CAN'T COMPLETE THE CRUISE. I KNOW WEATHER CONDITIONS MAKE IT NON REFUNDABLE.

Please help me, I must pay asap or loose the cruise.

:confused::)

PS:, I am not really cranky, it just sounded funny 2 me!

Edited by mskrankypants
to reassure I am not cranky!

The LAST thing a cruise ship wants is be even near any hurricane. They know where it is and sail far away from it. If the ship is doing a western cruise, it will go to the eastern if a hurricane is supposed to be in the western and visa versa. You have nothing to worry about as far as hurricanes are concerned, cruise ships are always as far away as possible! (WE have cruised is all the summer months as well as September & October. And we live on the NC coast so have been IN many hurricanes as our house was on the Intracoastal Waterway!)

This is expected to be one of the least active Hurricanes in decades:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/27/us/hurricane-outlook-2015/

Also, the cruise ships cost hundreds of millions, so the cruise lines do ALL they can to avoid hurricanes. What you may wind up with in case of a hurricane is different ports, skipped ports or even a cruise to nowhere. On the other hand, Carnival Magic is a great ship. So what if all you do is stay onboard?

An alternative to consider is cruising the Med - which will be hot. But on the other hand a Med cruise is one of the best possible cruises you can do. And this year there are many inexpensive options.

Really, you can't lose!

We sailed last August from Fort Lauderdale. There was a tropical storm (later reached hurricane status--Hurricane Bertha) that kept us from going to the first port--private island in the Bahamas. The captain steered the ship west of the storm. It was very smooth.

The only concern would be if there was a storm that prevented you or the ship from getting to the embarkation port.

I am a new member and inexperienced (compared to you all.)

Today is the last day I can pay deposit on Carnival's Magic, 7 days Belize and Cozumel. THE DATE IS AUGUST 30TH. I have traveled to hot humid places, usually with hotel. I now love cruising.

Please be honest b4 I part with my money, it's hard to get back.

WHAT DO YOU "ESTIMATE" MY CHANCES OF HITTING HURRICANES THERE IN THE GULF ARE? I KNOW CARNIVAL GOES ALL THE TIME. THE CARNIVAL MAGIC LOOKED AWESOME! BUT AWESOME DOESN'T COUNT IF WE CAN'T COMPLETE THE CRUISE. I KNOW WEATHER CONDITIONS MAKE IT NON REFUNDABLE.

Please help me, I must pay asap or loose the cruise.

:confused::)

PS:, I am not really cranky, it just sounded funny 2 me!

There is no way anyone, including the most experienced hurricane experts, can tell you if there will be a hurricane in August, in the Atlantic heading to the Caribbean, or be in the Gulf of Mexico, that will affect sailings out of Galveston.

I have lived in hurricane country most of my life and that is just the way it is.

I will tell you this though, if you really want to go on that cruise, book it! Buy the insurance that will be offered, and plan to fly to Houston 2 or 3 days early.

We can have a little tropical zit that causes a bunch of really hard rain for a few hours and backs up the airport, and then the sun comes out and everything is beautiful, but in the meanwhile it has still played havoc with the flight schedules, so you definitely do not want to be flying in at the last minute.

For whatever it's worth, the hurricane "experts" are predicting a quiet hurricane season. That and $6 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. They predicted quiet hurricane seasons for 2013 & 2014 and we didn't have a hurricane, so I guess they were right. :D

This would be the same as me asking if there was going to be an earthquake in the time frame I want to come to California. Nobody knows.

Book your cruise, get the insurance, fly in early, have a blast! :)

On a more somber note, the torrential rains, flooding, and tornados that have caused so many lives to be lost, people to have gone missing, and hundreds of millions of dollars in damage over this and other areas this past several days was not tropical. It came across Texas from the West. In the meanwhile California is in a horrible drought.

There is no way to predict these things. You just live your life and make the best decision you can with the information you have.