Is passport needed?

For trips leaving from US and going to Caribbean and returning to US, is a passport needed?

If you are returning to the same US port, and you are a US citizen, then a certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID can be used.

Edited by clarea

As others have noted, all you technically need to cruise when you're departing and arriving back to the same port.

Now that being said, you really want a passport. If something happens during the cruise... For example if you miss the boat on an excursion or if you get sick and require treatment off ship, you're going to end up in a bad position.

If at all possible, travel with a passport. :)

As others have noted, all you technically need to cruise when you're departing and arriving back to the same port.

Now that being said, you really want a passport. If something happens during the cruise... For example if you miss the boat on an excursion or if you get sick and require treatment off ship, you're going to end up in a bad position.

Yes! Better to have a passport and not "need it" than to need it and not have it.

JoeRum

I know I am not a U.S. Citizen, but even in Europe where we can travel to several countries without a passport, I would not want to be taken ill or involved in an incident without having mine in my pocket.

We drove through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany without showing our passports once. But, must show them if asked by the police. I guess the same might apply to. Caribbean Island. Especially if you visit a British, Ducth or French one...

Agreed! Get a passport.

I know I am not a U.S. Citizen, but even in Europe where we can travel to several countries without a passport, I would not want to be taken ill or involved in an incident without having mine in my pocket.

We drove through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany without showing our passports once. But, must show them if asked by the police. I guess the same might apply to. Caribbean Island. Especially if you visit a British, Ducth or French one...

I would not be worried about having a passport with you while off ship. Most passengers leave in safe.

I agree with the others and we always use passports, but on our recent cruise we thought it was ironic that the "only" place we were asked to show a picture ID was in the US ports (like St. Thomas). Every other port just looked at our Seapass card and let us back to the ship. St. Thomas took our driver's licenses and inspected them and then let us through.

I guess other countries in the Caribbean don't have to worry about people trying to escape :)

Tom

I would not be worried about having a passport with you while off ship. Most passengers leave in safe.

This is always a worry of mine and other passengers. In the past, we always brought photocopies of our passports while ashore.

Nowadays, we have a compact "passport card" in our wallets. Good for travel to/from the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico. $30 cost for current US passport holders. More info available at the State Department website.

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport AT ALL from cruise passengers...you don't need to carry it ashore. If something were to happen where you missed the ship, they will go into your cabin, and get your stuff and leave it with the port authority people.

I just sent my passport in for renewal last week. I just found out this morning that I have to take a flight in 2 weeks within the U.S. I've been using a passport for so long that I'm going to feel like a criminal using my drivers license. :D

I might have my new passport by then but it'll be close.

Once you have a passport nothing else comes close.

TRUE

But ship will usually inform you of the ports that you need to use your Passort, also it does not Hurt to have Colour Photocopies as well with you

TRUE

But ship will usually inform you of the ports that you need to use your Passort, also it does not Hurt to have Colour Photocopies as well with you

I must not get around much. What ports require a passport