Cruising in February

So guys,

My family and I are planning on skipping a cruise this summer, going on a road trip instead, but going on a cruise in February; which where I live is the absolute WORST month of the year (-40 C/F sometimes). So I'm all up for this idea. Especially because the prices are A LOT cheaper than in the summer.

BUT I am a bit concerned as to how cold/warm it will be in various destinations. We took a cruise over Christmas/Holiday Season in 2012 to the Bahamas and the water and air was a little chilly for our tastes, but we made do with it. So I'm asking all y'all who've cruised in Feb to let me know how it was for you.

The cruise that we are trying to take is in my description and I'm wondering what your take is on cruising to those places in the cold winter months.

Thanks in Advance

~TheCriuseDirector

I've done Feb out of Galveston to Mexico. Mexico is always fabulously warm, like 80. Cold on first day of cruise, warm by second afternoon, cold again last night. If you're leaving from a northern port, I imagine it's cold longer.

We took our last cruise in February and loved it. Sea days had good weather but could be semi-chilly up on the Lido with all the wind. It rained the last sea day for about an hour, two tops-no biggie. We went to Mexico and both ports were hot and humid!

I like a Southern itinerary, from San Juan south in February. I also like land vacations in Costa Rica and Panama then.

If a cold front penetrates the southern states, it will be felt in the northern Caribbean.

Even if it is only 70 degrees, I contrast that with the cold in NY and am grateful that I can be away.

Bahamas could be not exactly "tropical" if there is a cold front in the area. We've been there in Feb when is was a stretch to reach 70 and other years well into the 80's, but if you are sailing on the "San Juan/St Tomas/St Martin" route and/or there abouts it will be.

If you go to the CARIBBEAN, not the Bahamas or Bermuda, the weather will be just fine....once you get there! It's cold along the US coast in Feb....even in Florida, in many cases.

If you can leave from Puerto Rico, instead of Fl...you'll be good! Even if you leave from Fl...it will be a whole lot better than in Pa!

We have always had beautiful temperatures in February no matter what part of the Caribbean we sail.

Bahamas is not Caribbean.

PA with -40 C/F????

We live in south western PA and haven't experienced that low of a temperature in years. Wind chills -- yes. This past February when we left for Ft Lauderdale we had a wind chill of -29 F.

The further south you head the warmer it will be. We cruised to the Bahamas in 2014 and are headed there again in 2016. The weather was warm but, the water was a tad chilly.

We've cruised several times to the Caribbean in January stopping in many ports like St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Martin, Curacao many others and the water is much warmer there.

Try and arrive at your cruise embarkation port at least a day early in case there are weather issues leaving Pennsylvania.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

So guys,

My family and I are planning on skipping a cruise this summer, going on a road trip instead, but going on a cruise in February; which where I live is the absolute WORST month of the year (-40 C/F sometimes). So I'm all up for this idea. Especially because the prices are A LOT cheaper than in the summer.

BUT I am a bit concerned as to how cold/warm it will be in various destinations. We took a cruise over Christmas/Holiday Season in 2012 to the Bahamas and the water and air was a little chilly for our tastes, but we made do with it. So I'm asking all y'all who've cruised in Feb to let me know how it was for you.

The cruise that we are trying to take is in my description and I'm wondering what your take is on cruising to those places in the cold winter months.

Thanks in Advance

~TheCriuseDirector

We live next door to you in Ohio, and we used to cruise in February to coincide with our anniversary. It's great to get away from winter weather for a week, but it sucks to come back home to it! The last time we cruised in February, we came back home right after a blizzard came through, and I had to shovel three feet of snow out of the driveway just so we could park our car and get into the house. After that, we switched to cruising in May. As to cruising in the Caribbean in Feb., the weather can vary. Southern Caribbean is the best. The water temps. are much warmer for swimming. In the Eastern Carib., we've experienced water temps. that have ranged from upper 60's (68 in Nassau) to mid / upper 70's. The Western Caribbean's weather can vary too. If February is the only time you can go, enjoy the warm weather (mostly mid to upper 70's) while you're there, and try not to think about what's waiting for you back at home.:eek::D

February is our favorite month to cruise in the Southern Caribbean because it gets pretty darn cold in IL in Feb. We normally fly into San Juan and board there. Weather is nearly perfect with temps in the 80's. The biggest challenge for us is to fly out in time to cruise. We did the fly out on same day of the cruise. Though we made it in time, I'll never do that again. Fly the day before so you have a chance to unwind and get in cruise mode the next day. Good luck!! :cool:

We took three cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale this February. While it was warmer in Florida than where we live, it was not hot, which is what we want for our winter cruises.

The first cruise was Western Carib, and it never got hot. Warm & pleasant, but not hot. The next two cruises went south, and it finally got hot!! A nice hot, not the kind of hot where you can't breathe or take two steps without getting covered in sweat ... just hot, the way we like it! And when we got back to Florida after the third cruise ... cool & rainy.

We'll stick to cruising out of San Juan ... we want to feel the heat as soon as we exit the plane, and we just didn't get it this year!!

Have taken several cruises that time of year.

Loved the weather. Just think of all your friends and co-workers back home freezing, shovelling snow, working.

I love winter vacations. :D:D