Name your "Sleeper" port

celebrity

I suspect we all have one. You know, the port that you were not particularly excited about that totally blew you away.

For me, it was Malta. I knew that it would be pretty but I fell in love with it.

Second on the list for me would be Turkey. I had researched extensively prior to our stop on Kusadasi and I knew that Ephesus would be spectacular but I totally fell in love with everything I saw. I now want to take a land trip to Turkey and explore further.

Would love to hear about your experiences.

Talinn, Estonia.

Yes, everything you read in advance said how wonderful it would be, but still you are not prepared for how spectacular it is. We followed the Rick Steves walking tour.

When you are planning a Baltic cruise, you think of St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen. Talinn is not really a first consideration. But, it is a great port.

Talinn, Estonia.

Yes, everything you read in advance said how wonderful it would be, but still you are not prepared for how spectacular it is. We followed the Rick Steves walking tour.

When you are planning a Baltic cruise, you think of St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen. Talinn is not really a first consideration. But, it is a great port.

This.

When we came back we researched flying there from the UK and it was pretty cheap so we are planning a winter break there when it snows. In the summer sun it is stunning but the photos we have seen of the square in snowfall takes my breath away.

Cartagena (Columbia not Spain) was a port I was excited about and lots of people were really negative about it to the point I was getting less excited. When we arrived and got to the old quarter its wonderful and quirky and I was right ;).

This.

When we came back we researched flying there from the UK and it was pretty cheap so we are planning a winter break there when it snows. In the summer sun it is stunning but the photos we have seen of the square in snowfall takes my breath away.

Cartagena (Columbia not Spain) was a port I was excited about and lots of people were really negative about it to the point I was getting less excited. When we arrived and got to the old quarter its wonderful and quirky and I was right ;).

Awesome! That's one of the many benefits of cruising. Gives you a taste of what could be a spectacular trip without investing too much before pulling the trigger on a costly vacation.

Vigo, Spain

We encountered it on a TA, took a ship's tour to Bayona and fell in love with the country. We never had any interest in Spain before.

Now, we stop in Spain every chance we get.

In the Caribbean, it's Bonaire & Dominca, same thing.

It is the great thing about cruising, showing you parts of the world you'd never see otherwise. :)

Vigo, Spain

We encountered it on a TA, took a ship's tour to Bayona and fell in love with the country. We never had any interest in Spain before.

Now, we stop in Spain every chance we get.

In the Caribbean, it's Bonaire & Dominca, same thing.

It is the great thing about cruising, showing you parts of the world you'd never see otherwise. :)

Exactly! I hope you have been to Barcelona. One of my favorite cities ever!

Not on a cruise.

We had read accounts of theft, violence, rude people, etc. We take those sort of stories with skepticism as we find that the world is full of overly nervous Nellies. We use reasonable caution and have never had anything bad happen to us anywhere in the world.

What we experienced were friendly people of all colors. Even at the airport we were treated with such kindness as we were wandering around trying to find our driver. We eventually found our local driver that took us to our bed and breakfast near the airport and who got us there promptly and courteously in an old but clean van.

Once at the B & B, we were called by the owner to ask if we'd had dinner. We had not and assumed we'd have to order in as dinner was not included in our stay. Well, long story short, a large tray of baked, delicious white meat chicken, 2 crisp green salads, fresh rolls and a pot of rooibos tea and ice water was sent to our room with lovely place settings - all for about $4 US dollars, about 1/5 of what takeout would have cost.

We flew on to Phinda the next day for a week in the bush and it was spectacular but when I think of Africa, my fave travel spot by far, I think of that beautiful little B & B and its kind owner first.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Funchal, Maderia as well. I was pleasantly surprised by how charming it was. We toured the garden at the top of the hill and the little church before taking the toboggan down with our kids. Some of their famous wine which is similar to port made for a fun filled day. One of my favorite memories is watching my son attempt to chase a swan in the garden. That sucker was mean and his hysterics as I kept him away from the birdie was hilarious for those around us. ( He was 18 months at the time as was my daughter.) I love looking at the picture of my daughter's hair flying in the wind as we fly down on the toboggan with her little legs gripping as tight as she can. I did mine as a Canary islands cruise and I only did it because I found a great deal when I could travel. I list it as one of my top cruises.

I was also surprised by Turkey as everyone else was. A gorgeous country that feels exotic but safe. I felt comfortable walking around at night more so then in Rome. I tell everyone now to go because I think it is over looked so they can experience the wonders themselves. Interesting sights, friendly people and a unique experience for everyone. My daughter thought the Topaki Palace was her "castle". My kids celebrated their third bday in Istanbul and I am proud to show off the picture of them running in front of the Blue Mosque on that day.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Not on a cruise.

We had read accounts of theft, violence, rude people, etc. We take those sort of stories with skepticism as we find that the world is full of overly nervous Nellies. We use reasonable caution and have never had anything bad happen to us anywhere in the world.

What we experienced were friendly people of all colors. Even at the airport we were treated with such kindness as we were wandering around trying to find our driver. We eventually found our local driver that took us to our bed and breakfast near the airport and who got us there promptly and courteously in an old but clean van.

Once at the B & B, we were called by the owner to ask if we'd had dinner. We had not and assumed we'd have to order in as dinner was not included in our stay. Well, long story short, a large tray of baked, delicious white meat chicken, 2 crisp green salads, fresh rolls and a pot of rooibos tea and ice water was sent to our room with lovely place settings - all for about $4 US dollars, about 1/5 of what takeout would have cost.

We flew on to Phinda the next day for a week in the bush and it was spectacular but when I think of Africa, my fave travel spot by far, I think of that beautiful little B & B and its kind owner first.

Where exactly was this? South Africa?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Post was titled Johannesburg, so yes.;)

For us our surprise port was Istanbul.

Thanks. The titles do not show up when reading CC on the phone.

For us it is La Paz, MX. A real Mexican city, not built for American tourists.

I suspect we all have one. You know, the port that you were not particularly excited about that totally blew you away.

For me, it was Malta. I knew that it would be pretty but I fell in love with it.

Second on the list for me would be Turkey. I had researched extensively prior to our stop on Kusadasi and I knew that Ephesus would be spectacular but I totally fell in love with everything I saw. I now want to take a land trip to Turkey and explore further.

Would love to hear about your experiences.

Agree Malta is amazing.

REally too many... Istanbul, Alexandra Egypt, Athens, St Petersburg Russia, Haifa Israel, Barcelona, Lisbon, Cadiz Spain, Monte Carlo... actually anywhere in the Mediterranean is amazing. We have been to so many, Venice is another one.

REally too many... Istanbul, Alexandra Egypt, Athens, St Petersburg Russia, Haifa Israel, Barcelona, Lisbon, Cadiz Spain, Monte Carlo... actually anywhere in the Mediterranean is amazing. We have been to so many, Venice is another one.

Wow! I would think you would have been excited about all those ports.

I was looking for the stops that you didn't think would be amazing but totally surprised you.

My "sleeper" port is Broome, Australia. 2002, during the Volendam's Asia Pacific cruise, we had been scheduled to stop at Bali. But, the terrorist bombing at a hotel there caused HAL to cancel the port and substitute Broome. Very little information was available about the port, although a few tours were arranged. Not expecting much, I was delighted to find a small community with a Wild West, American style, feel to it. The local citizens were as much interested in us passengers as we were in them. They were very friendly and quite welcoming.

To this day, I do not think that many cruises stop at this port. And, that is a shame, in my opinion.

My "sleeper" port is Broome, Australia. 2002, during the Volendam's Asia Pacific cruise, we had been scheduled to stop at Bali. But, the terrorist bombing at a hotel there caused HAL to cancel the port and substitute Broome. Very little information was available about the port, although a few tours were arranged. Not expecting much, I was delighted to find a small community with a Wild West, American style, feel to it. The local citizens were as much interested in us passengers as we were in them. They were very friendly and quite welcoming.

To this day, I do not think that many cruises stop at this port. And, that is a shame, in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try to keep it in mind when I'm ready for the continent.

St. Helena. The island where Napoleon died-- partway from Africa to South America in the Atlantic. I had thought of it as something to just break up the crossing. But it was beautiful and fascinating, and the people charming. They have no airport (or at least didn't when I was there--I understand one is now under construction), so the only outsiders they see come by boat. Two or three cruise ships a year at most, and a mail/supply boat about once a month.

Talinn, Estonia.

Absolutely one of my favorites. You really don't even need to follow a tour. Just walk through some of the beautiful side streets and make your way all the way up for amazing views. We found a great gastro pub there for lunch too. I loved my day so much that I bought a colorful print done by a local artist.

We took a Mediterranean cruise a few years back and the port I was least interested in but really enjoyed was Lisbon. Cruising up the river to the port was just beautiful and, even though we arrived on a Sunday, we were well received and were told shops opened specifically just for the arriving ship. The people were very friendly and the city was just beautiful.

With regards to all the comments about Turkey, having lived there for two years, I would wholeheartedly recommend those that are interested to take a land trip to the country. Again, people are very friendly and welcoming.