Windstar Surf Question about Crew Smoking

losercruiser

We were a group of 12 friends and family for the Tall Ships in August one of us was in 150 no problem, we were all in the vicinity. This was in mid August. I can only say from our group. We have sailed on the Wind Surf 14 times ( 5 other cruises on the other ships ) we have never experienced any smoke and I am super sensitive especially my eyes. I know someone who writes on CC had a bad experience but we have not ever experienced smoke gratefully. Happy Cruising we are fans and love the ships.

On Wind Surf, we were able to detect a whiff of smoke when the crew doors were used by crew, but it was momentary. And we got no scent of cigarettes in our cabins. And I'm pretty sensitive to smoke and its components.

I am the OP that brought up the issue of smoke in stateroom 150. The odor was very objectionable in the hallway, present, but tolerable in the cabin itself. Two couples in adjacent cabins found the odor so strong that they asked to be moved. The hotel manager complied, and actually upgraded one couple to a suite as compensation. The nearby elevator seems to pump the smoke up from the lower level. This was all six months ago.

Yikes. I can't tolerate the smell of smoke. This is my first time on Windstar and will be my last if I have this issue in my cabin. I'm going to call Windstar to see if there is another cabin available

Call. If a problem, tell them at check-in. Ask to speak to the Guest Services Manager. Tell them in the booking you need smoke free to reinforce.

I had no problems during a two week transatlantic crossing, but that is anecdotal.

I have never noticed this smell on any Windstar cruise. I don't remember any of my previous cabin numbers, so don't know if I was near this now infamous "Cabin 150" :).

Is it possible a passenger was smoking in their cabin?

Edited by 6rugrats

• 1 year later...
I am the OP that brought up the issue of smoke in stateroom 150. The odor was very objectionable in the hallway, present, but tolerable in the cabin itself. Two couples in adjacent cabins found the odor so strong that they asked to be moved. The hotel manager complied, and actually upgraded one couple to a suite as compensation. The nearby elevator seems to pump the smoke up from the lower level. This was all six months ago.

We were on the wind surf in December 2016 - in bridge suite and the smoke wafted up the elevator shafts. The crew vehemently denied they were smoking but walking past the crew door told a VERY different story. My mother has COPD and this caused her a major exacerbation. Windstar denied that crew smoking took place - the hotel director was not helpful and basically lied to corporate and took forever to send their report. Extremely disappointing.

We were on the Surf a few months before that and while we were far away from the affected cabins one of our routes took us to the stairway that ended at a crew space. The smell of smoke in the area was constant and overpowering, so I would think it would also enter the cabins.

Recent reports seem to indicate it is no long an issue so I suspect that either some exhaust system wasn't working properly and has been repaired or the issue of crew smoking in the area has been dealt with.

We were on the Surf a few months before that and while we were far away from the affected cabins one of our routes took us to the stairway that ended at a crew space. The smell of smoke in the area was constant and overpowering, so I would think it would also enter the cabins.

Recent reports seem to indicate it is no long an issue so I suspect that either some exhaust system wasn't working properly and has been repaired or the issue of crew smoking in the area has been dealt with.

Glad they resolved it - just wish they would not have lied about it before - including the senior leadership onboard. There was no accountability. I had to choose this week for my June Mediterranean cruise - it was between windstar and seabourn and for this reason, I paid an extra $1K to sail with Seabourn...it's worth it not to lose sleep over ciggarette smoke. And to hope Seabourn's customer relations department would be more responsive should an issue arise.

I was on the Windsurf 2 weeks ago. They've put a little air circulation machine next to the forward elevator on deck one. However, I could still faintly smell cigarette smoke while waiting for the elevator. It wasn't too bad, but it was there.