Best Cruising Experience Ever

TheSeaArtist

Sailing on the Wind Spirit in Tahiti is like a dream. A marvelous, beautiful, romantic, exciting dream.

I literally almost cried when I had to come home...

I never like to cruise to the same place twice. There's so much world out there to explore. So much to see in so little time.

This, I would repeat. I'm dreaming of the day I'll be back on board Wind Spirit... perfect service, perfect atmosphere, perfect cabin... There's nothing better. Truly.

I get the impression that you kinda liked the experience. (JK)

Seeing your comments, they reminded me of our first Windstar cruise. It was a 14 day cruise on Wind Spirit from Rome down the west coast of Italy and its various islands, then several very unusual Greek ports winding up in Athens.

The first week was total nirvana. The second week was also remarkably good but we could see the end of the cruise approaching much faster than we really wanted it to.

After that experience we sailed on a few big cruise ships and fell even more in love with Windstar.

Unfortunately your term "dream" in this context is most apt. As with any dream they all unfortunately must end.

We sailed across the Pacific and sailed the first cruise back to Tahiti with WS in 2014, it was a glorious dream. Frankly I think it is the best and only wAy to experience the islands. Glad it was great for you . Happy Sailing Susanne

So nice to know about Tahiti! I've started looking at this cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We honeymooned in Hawaii and I thought this would be the perfect compliment 25 years later! Only 2 1/2 years to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ski Mom 2, Tiki_Man and I celebrated our 25th in Tahiti 2 years ago on the Paul Gauguin. Our first Windstar cruise was a couple of weeks ago (on one of the new motor ships), and we thought there were lots of similarities between the two lines.

We found French Polynesia to be spectacular, particularly the marine life, if you like to snorkel and/or scuba.

My only advice (which is worth as much as you paid for it!) is to consider a 10-day cruise or pre- or post-cruise stay with a 7-day. It is such a long and expensive trip to get there, we were glad to be staying longer than our typical 7-day vacation.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise and planning for your big anniversary!

Ski Mom 2, Tiki_Man and I celebrated our 25th in Tahiti 2 years ago on the Paul Gauguin. Our first Windstar cruise was a couple of weeks ago (on one of the new motor ships), and we thought there were lots of similarities between the two lines.

We found French Polynesia to be spectacular, particularly the marine life, if you like to snorkel and/or scuba.

We have been considering the South Pacific for sometime now and are inclined more towards the PG on this route. It is the LONG flight that is so unappealing, along with very high costs involved. The inclusiveness of the PG appeals as does having a balcony.

We were on the Spirit it was the first cruise back for WS after the fire when Wind Song caught on fire in 2002. Sailing the magnificient lagoon on a sail boat was outstanding . Being out on that deck surrounded by the colors of the lagoon and the islands was a site I will never forget. We saw the PG and seriously we were thrilled we were on a sail boat. That being said people have their own needs. I truly think the only way to see these islands is via the water. Take the excursions especially swimming with the rays, the excursion with Dr. Poole and the spinning dolphins and the excursion about the moais on Haunhai ( spelling? ) The tour of Bora Bora was not good, went from one tourist trap to the next. We loved every second. Happy Sailing Susanne

Sailing on the Wind Spirit in Tahiti is like a dream. A marvelous, beautiful, romantic, exciting dream.

I never like to cruise to the same place twice. There's so much world out there to explore. So much to see in so little time.

This, I would repeat. I'm dreaming of the day I'll be back on board Wind Spirit... perfect service, perfect atmosphere, perfect cabin... There's nothing better. Truly.

So, did you enjoy your cruise?

• 4 weeks later...

Getting there is definitely not half the fun. Air Tahiti Nui has iirc four refurbished A340s and one not. Even thevrefurbished aircraft have an angled flat Poerava Business seat that is rather outdated; Moana Coach is mizzerable sardine seating.

So, what we normally do is to go a few days early and stay in beautiful Moorea, a half hour fast ferry ride from Papeete. There are several nice properties, from the homey Les Tipaniers to the Hilton and the IC. Cheaper than Bora Bora, much more variety in terms of activities, and stunning in its own way.

If in Papeete briefly, there are tours to Gaugin's home, the "interesting" Lagoonarium, the museum of Tahiti and Her Islands (IMO well worth it), and the best shopping is at the public market in downtown Papeete (le marché).

We did the 10-day Tahiti cruise in December and fell in love with Windstar and Tahiti. It was our first time for both and we can't wait to go back. The Wind Spirit and the staff were truly incredible, and we had so much fun with the other passengers on the voyage.

We were on the Windsong in Tahiti way back in 1989 and will be on the Wind Spirit in June 2016 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. It was the trip of our lives back then and we have wanted to return ever since. Looking forward to the trip in so many ways. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!