Barbuda pink sand beaches

Ski Mom 2

I posted this in the ports but thought I'd ask here as well.

We are on a WS cruise on 30 January stopping in Barbuda. Our only option for tours through the ship is the frigate bird sanctuary which looks interesting. We will have a few extra hours and we would like to check out the pink sand and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were just in Barbuda last month. We think it was a bit of a stretch to call that sand pink. Maybe we didn't go to the right spot, but the Windsurf tour guy and all of the locals were calling that beach a beautiful pink sand peach.

Maybe we just didn't drink enough run punch.

Edited by BBQ Lover

Question since you were recently on this itin. Which ports did the ship tender and which ports were tied up at the pier?

Did not mean to get off the Barbuda subject but we are doing this itinerary in March and just curious.

Thanks

Mark

Docked at Dominica. Tendered everywhere else. For some reason, the St Kitts port authority would not allow the water sports platform to be down. It was down at all of the other tender ports.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by BBQ Lover

Docked at Dominica. Tendered everywhere else. For some reason, the St Kitts port authority would not allow the water sports platform to be down. It was down at all of the other tender ports.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thank you

I posted this in the ports but thought I'd ask here as well.

We are on a WS cruise on 30 January stopping in Barbuda. Our only option for tours through the ship is the frigate bird sanctuary which looks interesting. We will have a few extra hours and we would like to check out the pink sand and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Well, Barbuda is a very empty place hence no tours available to you apart from seeing the Frigate Bird colony which is quite amazing and a must see.

The beaches are wonderful. Empty soft and sandy. You need to watch the waves breaking on the beach (one adjacent to the very small landing dock) and you will see the change in hue of the colour of the sand as the water flows up and then down the beach. It changes from pink to yellow as the tiny former shell particles flip in unison from one way up to another. Quite a subtle sight but lovely to see.

The beaches are of course unkempt but empty - no one to take them and clear any debris.

Having just spent 4 days in Barbuda, it is a definite must see.

• 1 month later...

From what I've read about this island, it sounds like they drop you somewhere that is still quite a walk or else a taxi ride to get to the "pink sand" beaches. Could someone tell us how long the walk is or what the price of the taxi is? Is there anything else to explore on the island perhaps a little more inland? Is the only place the taxis take you is to the beach? Since the beach is 11 miles long, is there one central place the taxi is picking people up to go back to the ship? Any details on this would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CathyK2 you can definitely walk to where the pink sand really kicks in. It's maybe 10 minutes walking on the beach to get down aways to see it. I'm not sure where a taxi would take you. There isn't anything else on Barbuda except the frigate bird sanctuary and the beach. c1f97a4c46eeb6512394d3574a9f530b.jpg my DH on the pink sand beach with Wind Surf in the background.

d45d655771e533e54655a0ec31463dfb.jpg

Close up!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

CathyK2 you can definitely walk to where the pink sand really kicks in. It's maybe 10 minutes walking on the beach to get down aways to see it. I'm not sure where a taxi would take you. There isn't anything else on Barbuda except the frigate bird sanctuary and the beach. c1f97a4c46eeb6512394d3574a9f530b.jpg my DH on the pink sand beach with Wind Surf in the background.

d45d655771e533e54655a0ec31463dfb.jpg

Close up!

Great pictures. And yes, the sand looks pink to me. Someone said it is only pink if you drink enough rum punch. But yes...love both pictures. Thanks for sharing and for the info.