Muster drills

Jac21

On Azura in August we were in cabin C752 and as we left the cabin for the muster there was a crew member standing outside who directed us down the crew stairs to the right of our cabin. There was a crew member on each deck as we went down who told us to continue down the crew stairs until we reached deck 7 ( muster station deck ).

Just the usual P&O inconsistency perhaps ?

No there's definate logic in it. You must remember that the muster drill isn't only to educate the passengers about their muster stations and routes to them but also to drill the crew many of whom may be new to the ship due to crew rotations.

There's actually a whole science devoted to crowd dynamics and evacuation of premises/vessels in an emergency. Many of the principles employed when working out escape routes including staircase and exit widths, and disregarding exits are exactly the same as employed on land.

It's one area where I have absolute confidence in P&O.

No there's definate logic in it. You must remember that the muster drill isn't only to educate the passengers about their muster stations and routes to them but also to drill the crew many of whom may be new to the ship due to crew rotations.

There's actually a whole science devoted to crowd dynamics and evacuation of premises/vessels in an emergency. Many of the principles employed when working out escape routes including staircase and exit widths, and disregarding exits are exactly the same as employed on land.

It's one area where I have absolute confidence in P&O.

So why does P&O block the exit routes familiar only to those "in the know" which are the shortest and most direct route to the muster station. The excessive crowds going down the main passenger stairwells should be contrasted to the deserted passenger use in emergency only routes which most passengers, even frequent floaters, know nothing about. In a genuine emergency these exits are still going to be unknown to most.

Seems not a good idea to me.

Regards John

So why does P&O block the exit routes familiar only to those "in the know" which are the shortest and most direct route to the muster station. The excessive crowds going down the main passenger stairwells should be contrasted to the deserted passenger use in emergency only routes which most passengers, even frequent floaters, know nothing about. In a genuine emergency these exits are still going to be unknown to most.

Seems not a good idea to me.

Regards John

Exactly,in an emergency you want to know the quickest exit and know exactly where it leads to.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

So why does P&O block the exit routes familiar only to those "in the know" which are the shortest and most direct route to the muster station.

Because the muster drill is a legal 'tick box' where most cruise lines do the least possible to achieve compliance.

P&O does a little more than the minimum, but does not do as much as some companies. If you have been on a Costa ship recently, you will have noticed the changes to the muster drill they implemented after killing a number of their customers. Their muster drill used to be like the current P&O drill, but is now a lot more serious.

Because the muster drill is a legal 'tick box' where most cruise lines do the least possible to achieve compliance.

P&O does a little more than the minimum, but does not do as much as some companies. If you have been on a Costa ship recently, you will have noticed the changes to the muster drill they implemented after killing a number of their customers. Their muster drill used to be like the current P&O drill, but is now a lot more serious.

To be fair to P&O, the Muster Drills on Celebrity and RCI were a complete and utter farce. On Celebrity no one stopped talking throughout and on RCI a group of giggly women were messing about, jumping out of line on deck, and the person in charge of the Muster Station did little to sort them out and let them get away with it.

I really don't get this with P&O as I do think that their drills are serious -- I just don't get the issue re not following your route !

I can see what you are saying, but to be fair to P&O (again) to compare with Costa makes me cringe ..... if there is any cruise line that can hang its head in shame re passenger safety this one must be the one. Ok now, but too late for many..

To be fair to P&O, the Muster Drills on Celebrity and RCI were a complete and utter farce. On Celebrity no one stopped talking throughout and on RCI a group of giggly women were messing about, jumping out of line on deck, and the person in charge of the Muster Station did little to sort them out and let them get away with it.

I really don't get this with P&O as I do think that their drills are serious -- I just don't get the issue re not following your route !

I can see what you are saying, but to be fair to P&O (again) to compare with Costa makes me cringe ..... if there is any cruise line that can hang its head in shame re passenger safety this one must be the one. Ok now, but too late for many..

Agreed.

At least on P&O we have sat down in a lounge rather than on RC standing for ages on the deck by the muster station waiting for everyone to get registered.

At least on P&O we have sat down in a lounge rather than on RC standing for ages on the deck by the muster station waiting for everyone to get registered.

So in an emergency you know where to find a comfy chair indoors.

I think I would prefer to know where to find the lifeboat to get off asap.

If you think about it it is common sense to arrange muster areas in an emergency because then the staff would know which lifeboats are available. In an emergency, god forbid, if it needs an evacuation off the ship it could take hours and depending on what is happening not all lifeboats might not be accessible. Can you imagine alarm bells ringing and everybody congregated on deck by lifeboats which might not be available if the ship is listing as in Concordia where some lifeboats could not be used. Having spent 35yrs in an emergency service it is sensible practice to have muster areas in varying parts of the ship in the warm and then if needed directed to a lifeboat from there. Not really sensible to dedicate lifeboats to cabins and have muster drills there because in an emergency if that lifeboat was not available or accessible it would cause massive panic.

Whilst you might want to get off asap, it should be recognised that the majority of real emergency musters will not involve actually abandoning ship and therefore getting into the lifeboats or survival craft to use the politically correct term. Far more likely are situations where someone has genuinely convinced a man overboard has occurred. A basic and definitive head count is what is needed plus relatives of anyone unaccounted for saying they are actually there. In this scenario a packed promenade or boat deck is not going to be helpful. Many other situations where abandonment is not needed.

Similarly some lines have a dedicated lifeboat to specific passengers. This may well make people feel good but trying to get the right people to the right craft will take extra time. Could you imagine allocated seating in the theatre it is a similar problem with everyone forcing through to their destination.

If you were in a tender port and your lifeboat was at the quayside of the port you are going to be a bit miffed.

Regards John

If you think about it it is common sense to arrange muster areas in an emergency because then the staff would know which lifeboats are available. In an emergency, god forbid, if it needs an evacuation off the ship it could take hours and depending on what is happening not all lifeboats might not be accessible. Can you imagine alarm bells ringing and everybody congregated on deck by lifeboats which might not be available if the ship is listing as in Concordia where some lifeboats could not be used. Having spent 35yrs in an emergency service it is sensible practice to have muster areas in varying parts of the ship in the warm and then if needed directed to a lifeboat from there. Not really sensible to dedicate lifeboats to cabins and have muster drills there because in an emergency if that lifeboat was not available or accessible it would cause massive panic.

Good post.

Whilst you might want to get off asap, it should be recognised that the majority of real emergency musters will not involve actually abandoning ship and therefore getting into the lifeboats or survival craft to use the politically correct term. Far more likely are situations where someone has genuinely convinced a man overboard has occurred. A basic and definitive head count is what is needed plus relatives of anyone unaccounted for saying they are actually there. In this scenario a packed promenade or boat deck is not going to be helpful. Many other situations where abandonment is not needed.

Similarly some lines have a dedicated lifeboat to specific passengers. This may well make people feel good but trying to get the right people to the right craft will take extra time. Could you imagine allocated seating in the theatre it is a similar problem with everyone forcing through to their destination.

If you were in a tender port and your lifeboat was at the quayside of the port you are going to be a bit miffed.

Regards John

Another sensible post.