Weather during Transatlantic Crossing in November

A Knitter

This is my first Transatlantic crossing Rome to Miami in November. I have a pretty good idea of the weather in Rome and Barcelona 60's however it can change. I will have a weatherproof jacket that I am taking on the safari for cold mornings and evenings. What can I expect during the crossing, breezy, cold, etc. Can someone enlighten me? I will probably have a sweater knitted by the end of the cruise but do want to be prepared. :)

This is my first Transatlantic crossing Rome to Miami in November. I have a pretty good idea of the weather in Rome and Barcelona 60's however it can change. I will have a weatherproof jacket that I am taking on the safari for cold mornings and evenings. What can I expect during the crossing, breezy, cold, etc. Can someone enlighten me? I will probably have a sweater knitted by the end of the cruise but do want to be prepared. :)

After you leave sight of land, the temperatures will generally dip about 10 degrees from the nearest land.

You can expect to leave Barcelona in the 60's and arrive in Miami with temperatures in the 80's; so on the Ocean you will vary from the low 50's to the low 70's.

Naturally, individual experience may vary with the weather.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Thank You. I knew you would be in the know.:D

Actually, one of my earliest cruise memories involves my mother feeling that these advertisements were misleading:

566531334_1ca7646875.jpg

Although the weather may have been more pleasant than the North Atlantic, the Italian line had to come up with all kinds of gimmicks to keep their ships competitive on the longer Southern Route (still to NYC, but further South than from England, because they started in the Med).

Leonardo%20da%20Vinci%20swimming%20pool-01.jpg

The swimming water was heated to a warm 74 degrees, and they even installed infra red heat lamps in those sheltered bays around the pools......

Holy Micro Wave Oven!

We were on the Regatta last November from Barcelona to Miami. We had been in Italy for 3 weeks before the cruise and had worn cashmeres, raincoats, wool slacks and jackets for the entire time and had been comfortable. But each day on the crossing was warmer than the last and we became increasingly hot in our fall clothes. I bought several cotton tees and a light cotton jacket on the ship and wore them every day. Our fall clothes for the evening seemed fine, but it was extremely warm every day at sea, even if it was windy. As I remember, it was between 75 and 85 for each 24 hour period on the crossing.

When we do the transatlantic crossing this year, I will have packed some light weight things, just in case. It would be much easier if the weather in Italy in November matched that of the Southern Crossing. But I suppose it might have been an unusual year in 2010.

Actually, one of my earliest cruise memories involves my mother feeling that these advertisements were misleading:

566531334_1ca7646875.jpg

Although the weather may have been more pleasant than the North Atlantic, the Italian line had to come up with all kinds of gimmicks to keep their ships competitive on the longer Southern Route (still to NYC, but further South than from England, because they started in the Med).

Leonardo%20da%20Vinci%20swimming%20pool-01.jpg

The swimming water was heated to a warm 74 degrees, and they even installed infra red heat lamps in those sheltered bays around the pools......

Holy Micro Wave Oven!

Thanks JimandStan. Great to go down memory lane with those ads :)

We were on the Regatta last November from Barcelona to Miami. We had been in Italy for 3 weeks before the cruise and had worn cashmeres' date=' raincoats, wool slacks and jackets for the entire time and had been comfortable. But each day on the crossing was warmer than the last and we became increasingly hot in our fall clothes. I bought several cotton tees and a light cotton jacket on the ship and wore them every day. Our fall clothes for the evening seemed fine, but it was extremely warm every day at sea, even if it was windy. As I remember, it was between 75 and 85 for each 24 hour period on the crossing.

When we do the transatlantic crossing this year, I will have packed some light weight things, just in case. It would be much easier if the weather in Italy in November matched that of the Southern Crossing. But I suppose it might have been an unusual year in 2010.[/quote']

Thanks Archie's Mom What you experienced is exactly the information I needed. I will be in East AFrica the first two weeks with a warm safari jacket which is needed in the early morning and evening. Rome is cool as I recall being there the same time in November in 2009 and the same with Barcelona so I am good there. Will pack lighter weight for the crossing. Many thanks to both of you. :)

Maria --thanks for posing the question

Archived