Train schedule from Kiel to Lubeck

Heinblod, can you help me?

I've been reading your posts about suggestions for our day in Kiel. We've decided to go to Lubeck. The ship charges $115/person for a bus tour, so for four of us that's kind of ridiculous!

We only have 8 hours in port. Can we take the train to Lubeck, walk around, have lunch, and get back in time? The bus evidently takes 90 minutes each way. How long would the train take, and would we have to transfer?

Also, can you decipher the train schedule for me? We'd like a train that leaves Kiel about 9 am and returns from Lubeck at about 2 pm.

Thanks so much for your help!

Heinblod, can you help me?

Of course...

I've been reading your posts about suggestions for our day in Kiel. We've decided to go to Lubeck. The ship charges $115/person for a bus tour, so for four of us that's kind of ridiculous!

Yes - I help you under one condition... are you participating to PayPal???

4 x 115 USD = 460 USD = 300 EUR...

Let's do 50:50...

If you start 9.44 hrs...

29.00 EUR for all four... (incl. a 5th person if you find someone nice onboard you want to take with you...)

Buy a day pass for State of Schleswig-Holstein (Laenderticket Schleswig-Holstein)

300 EUR ./. 29 EUR = 271 EUR difference...

50:50 means you should transfer 135.50 EUR to my PayPal account...

Did not we talk about before???

OR if you are able to work with the local ticket machine:

Destination Luebeck Zone 6000

Kleingruppenkarte for Price Level 12 = 28.30 EUR, i. e. 35 Cent more for me...

(DayPass just for Kiel - Luebeck but incl. public transport...)

It's more comfortable to buy the Laenderticket as I am sure that the ticket machine "speaks" English and accept Credit Card. I am not sure if credit cards are accepted for the other tarif. But it's only 70 Cent = 1 USD difference.

We only have 8 hours in port. Can we take the train to Lubeck, walk around, have lunch, and get back in time? The bus evidently takes 90 minutes each way. How long would the train take, and would we have to transfer?

Also, can you decipher the train schedule for me? We'd like a train that leaves Kiel about 9 am and returns from Lubeck at about 2 pm.

The trains need 1.12 hrs.

Leaves every hour from Kiel 44 minutes past the hour and arrives 56 minutes past the FOLLOWING hour.

Leaves every hour from Luebeck 03 minutes past the hour and arrives 15 minutes past the FOLLOWING hour.

You should let me know which ship/date to check the Cruise Terminal. If your ship berth at Norwegenkai it's opposite of Central Station - 5 minutes walk. If your ship is berthing Ostseekai it's about 20-30 minutes walk or transfer on ferry. All other terminals are in between...

Have a great day in Luebeck!!!

Willkommen in Deutschland!!!

Welcome to Germany!!!

HeinBloed

Thanks so much HeinBloed. Those were exactly the details I was looking for when planning our trip.

Our ship, the MSC Lirica, docks at Ostseekai Terminal. I'm not worried about getting to the train station. If the ship doesn't provide a shuttle to the town center, we'll just take a taxi to the train. It still has to be cheaper than the ship's tour!

I'm assuming that in the tourist areas, we'll find enough people who speak English to help us in case we get really lost!

Now let's see, do you want me to send you our leftover British pounds, Danish Kroner, Swedish krone, German Euros, Russian rubles, or whatever it is they use in Estonia?:rolleyes: Thanks goodness for ATM's near the port!

Our ship, the MSC Lirica, docks at Ostseekai Terminal. I'm not worried about getting to the train station. If the ship doesn't provide a shuttle to the town center, we'll just take a taxi to the train. It still has to be cheaper than the ship's tour!

2008-Delphin-225-Kiel.jpg

Have a look on the picture above:

MSC LIRICA is just before berthing Ostseekai.

Remember the two buildings at the waterfront left of MSC LIRICA:

one darker in the background and one brown in the front...

Now see this picture:

2008-Delphin-221-Kiel.jpg

The brown building which you have seen before is now on the right.

Remember the higher glass/red roof building on the left of the picture before you see the next picture:

2008-Delphin-223-Kiel.jpg

The glass/red roof building is now on the right.

Do you see the row of the trees going to the left:

This row just end in front of the Central Station Building (Hauptbahnhof)

In the station building you find ATM but right of the building it's just the shopping streets.

But did not MSC mention that you can go from Copenhagen and from Kiel on this cruise???

I. e. you'll find something like this in front of the Ostseekai Building:

2008-Delphin-224-Kiel.jpg

This is a free shuttle for those cruisers who are disembark and embark in Kiel.

So just to the front entrance of the Ostseekai and just enter this bus... to get free of charge to Kiel Central Station...

But do not tell, that I told that such a service exists... Psssst....

Here you see on the right MONA LISA is on the Ostseekai and you are heading the Kiel Fjord towards downtown. You should be ready to see the entry to Kiel...

2008-Mona-Lisa-503-Kiel.jpg

Now let's see, do you want me to send you our leftover British pounds, Danish Kroner, Swedish krone, German Euros, Russian rubles, or whatever it is they use in Estonia?:rolleyes: Thanks goodness for ATM's near the port!

Have not I mention that I also all major creditcards???

Estonia uses also Crowns like Sweden, Denmark and Norway...

I take also Finnish Euros, Dutch Euros, Belgian Euros, Luxemburg Euros, French Euros, Irish Euros, Spanish Euros, Portuguese Euros, Italian Euros, Maltese Euros, Cyprus Euros, Austrian Euros, Slovenian Euros, Greek Euros...

Only the reverse side of the coins are different. Bills and front of the coins are the same... So you can mix them to use in Euro-Zone...

But if you have Monaco Euros, San Marino Euros or Vatican Euros... they are more valueable than the value on the coin... You should send me these if you get some... I can give you German Euros for the amount stated on the front...

So have a great time in Germany.

HeinBloed

• 7 months later...

Hi HeinBloed, it's me again. I posted a question for you for Berlin and now I need help for Lubeck.

We are a party of 2 on Holland America Eurodam and we will be in Kiel on June 11 from 6am to 5pm.

We would like to go to Lubeck from Kiel. We don't want to take the 9:44am train to take advantage of the Schleswig Holstein Lander ticket since we think we should leave earlier for more sightseeing. So, we would probably take the 7:44am or 8:44am. Can you tell me how much we should expect to pay for the one way ticket on the RE? Then for the return, I guess depending on how much the one way ticket is, we may buy the Schleswig Holstein Lander Ticket for 30 euros.

We were thinking of taking the 40 minutes train ride to visit Hamburg but maybe that will be too much and too rushed not allowing enough time for both. What is your advice? Do you think 2 hours spent in Lubeck should be sufficient? Then we can take the 11:10 am train to Hamburg and get there at noon for lunch, walk around for 2 hours and take the 14:20 train back to Kiel? Or do you think a ferry to Travemunde would be better from Lubeck? Would the Schleswig Holstein ticket cover the Travemunde ferry?

Thanks for your help!

Hi HeinBloed, it's me again. I posted a question for you for Berlin and now I need help for Lubeck.

We are a party of 2 on Holland America Eurodam and we will be in Kiel on June 11 from 6am to 5pm.

Still no damages please...

We would like to go to Lubeck from Kiel. We don't want to take the 9:44am train to take advantage of the Schleswig Holstein Lander ticket since we think we should leave earlier for more sightseeing.

Due to your early arrival I would suggest to go to Hamburg first.

Everything is still sleeping while you are on the way to Hamburg.

It's 19.20 EUR with Regional Trains and 27.00 EUR with ICE... but ICE is only 8 minutes faster... so save the money...

07.21 hrs from Kiel

08.37 hrs at Hamburg

I would walk towards Jungfernstieg/Rathaus (Town Hall) area or you take with the same ticket the bus or commuter train.

Then it's 09.00 hrs and time to buy Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket for 30 EUR which is also valid for public transport in Hamburg.

11.11 hrs from Hamburg

11.51 hrs at Lübeck

Now you can go around in Lübeck.

14.03 hrs from Lübeck

15.15 hrs at Kiel

or the other way around:

07.44 hrs from Kiel

08.56 hrs at Lübeck

15.20 EUR per person one-way

11.10 hrs from Lübeck

11.51 hrs at Hamburg

14.20 hrs from Hamburg

15.36 hrs at Kiel

both options: we say in Germany: no fish - no meat...

So, we would probably take the 7:44am or 8:44am. Can you tell me how much we should expect to pay for the one way ticket on the RE? Then for the return, I guess depending on how much the one way ticket is, we may buy the Schleswig Holstein Lander Ticket for 30 euros.

07.44 hrs see above

08.44 hrs - First departure after 09.00 hrs is Preetz - exactly 09.00 hrs...

3.85 EUR

We were thinking of taking the 40 minutes train ride to visit Hamburg but maybe that will be too much and too rushed not allowing enough time for both. What is your advice?

see above... no fish - no meet...

Do you think 2 hours spent in Lubeck should be sufficient?

If you just there to take pictures but no time to have a cup of coffee and cake in Niederegger...

Then we can take the 11:10 am train to Hamburg and get there at noon for lunch, walk around for 2 hours and take the 14:20 train back to Kiel?

see above...

Or do you think a ferry to Travemunde would be better from Lubeck?

I think I would do this more than going to Hamburg...

http://www.koenemannschiffahrt.de/english/04_timetable_pricelist.html

Take the 10.00 hrs ride and you arrive at 11.30 hrs in Travemünde.

Have lunch there in Niederegger...

13.31 hrs from Travemünde Strand

13.53 hrs at Lübeck

Honestly spoken: Travemünde in combination with Lübeck: yes - but the boat ride is too long 1 1/2 hours....

Would the Schleswig Holstein ticket cover the Travemunde ferry?

No - 10 EUR per person...

Honestly spoken:

Rent a car with AVIS which is in walking distance to the Cruise Terminal.

Then you can do much more better Lübeck in combination with Hamburg.

30 EUR + 2 x 15 EUR = 60 EUR = you can get a car...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed, thank you for all your good and quick info. I think we are leaning towards Hamburg but probably after Lubeck. As for driving, I'm terrified of driving in Europe so that rules that out. :)

So if we do Lubeck first, you said it would work with bus or commuter train. It looks like the HBF is within walking distance to the Old Town. Should walking be adequate to see the Old Town? I was reading up on Cafe Neideregger. Perhaps we can pick up some marzipan for our train ride to Hamburg.

For Hamburg, if we buy the Schleswig Holstein ticket, can I use it for all forms of transportation in Hamburg? I just started doing the research on things to see in Hamburg. Any recommendations? Do you know if most of what we need to see is near the HBF? Should we buy the Schleswig Holstein ticket in Kiel or Lubeck?

And then finally, do you know where our ship will dock in Kiel? I've read that you said depending on where the port is, the walk could be 5 - 20 minutes.

Hi HeinBloed, thank you for all your good and quick info. I think we are leaning towards Hamburg but probably after Lubeck. As for driving, I'm terrified of driving in Europe so that rules that out. :)

So if we do Lubeck first, you said it would work with bus or commuter train.

It's a regional train.

It looks like the HBF is within walking distance to the Old Town. Should walking be adequate to see the Old Town?

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/lbeck-germany.html

Hbf - Holstentor: 8-12 minutes walk

Holstentor - Niederegger/Town Hall: 8-12 minutes walk

I was reading up on Cafe Neideregger. Perhaps we can pick up some marzipan for our train ride to Hamburg.

You should do it!!! It's a must.

For Hamburg, if we buy the Schleswig Holstein ticket, can I use it for all forms of transportation in Hamburg?

But not the Alster River Cruise...

Commuter Train: S-Bahn

Subway: U-Bahn

Bus/Metrobus - but no Expressbus (Schnellbus due to additional surcharge)

Port Ferry

I just started doing the research on things to see in Hamburg. Any recommendations?

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/12/hamburg-germany.html

Do you know if most of what we need to see is near the HBF?

You have a lot of attractions in Central Station area:

Let's do a mini-sight-seeing tour by public transport:

U3 (subway) towards Barmbeck to Landungsbrücken

62 (ferry) towards Finkenwerder to Fischmarkt

112 (bus) towards Hamm Braune Brücke to U St. Pauli (walk to Reeperbahn)

S1, S3 towards Poppenbüttel/Airport/Neugraben/Stade/Harburg to Jungfernstieg

Have a look around Rathausmarkt/Binnenalster/Jungfernstieg

Walk back to Central Station...

You will see a lot on this mini-tour...

Should we buy the Schleswig Holstein ticket in Kiel or Lubeck?

Any - I would do it in Kiel. You have enough time...

And then finally, do you know where our ship will dock in Kiel? I've read that you said depending on where the port is, the walk could be 5 - 20 minutes.

You will be at Ostseekai - that's the 20 minutes to walk alongside of the water...

There are two ships of HAL on the same time at the terminal: ROTTERDAM and EURODAM and a third ship. So make sure that you are early ready to leave and grab a cab from pier to town.

I will be May 2 in Kiel if you need something more to be researched.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 years later...

We are on Eurodam Kiel stop on June 19th. Will we have ample time to train to Lubeck, visit and return to ship by 4:30 without feeling rushed?

I know you mention day pass, but timing is very important. Are there vans at the dock that could take 6-8 people? Would that be better?

Much appreciated. Travelers depend on generous people like you!!

BBerbs

We are on Eurodam Kiel stop on June 19th. Will we have ample time to train to Lubeck, visit and return to ship by 4:30 without feeling rushed?

I know you mention day pass, but timing is very important. Are there vans at the dock that could take 6-8 people? Would that be better?

BBerbs

As you are 6 and more it's better to book a van:

they provide taxi-van service:

http://www.vineta.net/taxi/taxi_fahrzeuge.php

Regards

HeinBloed

BBerbs

Hi,

If you want to go by train:-

The train service between Kiel and Lübeck is fast and frequent.

RB departs Kiel 8:04 arrives Lübeck 9:32

RE departs Kiel 8:44 arrives Lübeck 9:52

and so on at hourly intervals throughout the day.

to return to Kiel

RE departs Lübeck 12:06 arrives Kiel 13:15

RB departs Lübeck 12:28 arrives Kiel 13:55

and so on until 21:06

As you are scheduled to dock at 7:00 the first possible train would be the 8:04 and the last possible train to return from Lübeck and be on-board by 16:30 (taxi from the station to the ship) would be 15:06. As you see this would give around five and a half hours in Lübeck. The journey by road takes about the same time as by train.

For 6-8 people you would need two Schleswig Holstein Kleingruppenkarte, cost 32.70 euro -unlimited travel for up to 5 persons after 9am to 3am the following day.

On trains before 9:00 the standard fare applies so Monday to Friday you would need single tickets to cover the time between departing Kiel and 9:00 as well as a day ticket. (Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays the day ticket covers the whole journey.)

For 6-8 people:-

Departing Kiel 8:04 you would need single tickets to Pönitz (dep. 9:08) @ 11 euro pp. + 2 day tickets

Departing Kiel 8:44 you would need single tickets to Preetz (dep. 9:00) @ 4.30 euro pp. + 2 day tickets

All the tickets can be bought at the same time before departure in Kiel and shown together to the inspector on the train. There is no need to leave the train before Lübeck.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

We are arriving in Kiel on the Musica. Does the ship or the port provide free shuttles to the train station and if so how often do they run? Thank you.

It does.

But as Kiel is partial embarkation/deparkation port: it's more for the need of the guests leaving and arriving at the ship.

So once the bus is full it leaves.

From the train station it's more at the time when you normally have embarkation.

But anyhow it's about 15 minutes walk or there are also public buses for the time in between.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...

I have read many of your posts and wondered if you could tell me if the Avis rental car office is still located in the cruise port building since your response was from 2007?

Thank you, Carrie

I have read many of your posts and wondered if you could tell me if the Avis rental car office is still located in the cruise port building since your response was from 2007?

Thank you, Carrie

no - they moved.

But for cruise ship guests who are docking OSTSEEKAI they have a little tellar when you booked ahead.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...

Hi HeinBloed

I noticed that I no longer have access to your cruise guide blog. I had many pages saved as reference for our upcoming cruise aboard the Regal Princess. it possible to have access granted back? Our stop in Warnemunde is dependent on the information from your blog.

Thank you for all the wonderful information provided on cruise critic. Your posts have been incredibly helpful.

Many thanks,

Hi HeinBloed

I noticed that I no longer have access to your cruise guide blog. I had many pages saved as reference for our upcoming cruise aboard the Regal Princess. it possible to have access granted back? Our stop in Warnemunde is dependent on the information from your blog.

Thank you for all the wonderful information provided on cruise critic. Your posts have been incredibly helpful.

Many thanks,

When and where do you want to go?

Regards

HeinBloed

• 8 months later...

Hi Travelanni, Very thankful for all the information you have supplied and your blog. Just one question, do we validate both the tickets to Pönitz or Preetz and the Lander ticket at Kiel station? Or, if buying the ticket through to Preetz/Ponitz on the bus, do we validate that on the bus & then the Lander ticket at the station?

Hi,

If you want to go by train:-

The train service between Kiel and Lübeck is fast and frequent.

RB departs Kiel 8:04 arrives Lübeck 9:32

RE departs Kiel 8:44 arrives Lübeck 9:52

As you are scheduled to dock at 7:00 the first possible train would be the 8:04

On trains before 9:00 the standard fare applies so Monday to Friday you would need single tickets to cover the time between departing Kiel and 9:00 as well as a day ticket. (Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays the day ticket covers the whole journey.)

For 6-8 people:-

Departing Kiel 8:04 you would need single tickets to Pönitz (dep. 9:08) @ 11 euro pp. + 2 day tickets

Departing Kiel 8:44 you would need single tickets to Preetz (dep. 9:00) @ 4.30 euro pp. + 2 day tickets

All the tickets can be bought at the same time before departure in Kiel and shown together to the inspector on the train. There is no need to leave the train before Lübeck.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Travelanni, Very thankful for all the information you have supplied and your blog. Just one question, do we validate both the tickets to Pönitz or Preetz and the Lander ticket at Kiel station? Or, if buying the ticket through to Preetz/Ponitz on the bus, do we validate that on the bus & then the Lander ticket at the station?

Hi, thank you for your appreciation but my post is over 2 yrs old and the timetable and fares may have changed. I have stepped back from questions on Hamburg and Kiel as we now have local residents answering on this forum.

As far as I know, in Schleswig Holstein Deutsche Bahn tickets do not have to be validated, they are shown to the ticket inspector on the train. This is certainly the case in Mecklenburg.

Sorry but I do not know about the bus tickets, maybe one of the Kiel/Luebeck locals could help there and correct me if I am wrong about the DB tickets.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Here is local information.

Schleswig-Holstein has a new price system for public transport. The Länderticket may not be the best option for you.

First, the schedule:

Kiel Hbf (main station - near cruise terminal) to Lübeck Hbf (main station) departs 8:04, 8:44, 9:04, 9:44 and so on Monday to Friday. The 8:04, 9:04 and so on is a slow train which takes 1:28 hrs, the 8:44, 9:44 and so on is a faster train but still classified as a regional train (important for your ticket) and gets to Lübeck within 1:08 hrs

Back to Kiel from Lübeck Hbf 14:06, 15:06 and so on (faster train) and 14:28, 15:28 and so on (slower train)

Second, the price:

one way is 18,50 € but a day ticket is 30,90 € and gets you to Lübeck and back all day as often as you want. The ticket includes Lübeck city busses for the day. If you are 2 up to 5 persons I´d suggest you buy a Kleingruppenkarte. This is a group day ticket for up to 5 persons valid from 9 AM all day and the price is 36,10 € for the ticket (not per person - it is the price of the ticket). Please note that this is only valid from 9 AM so you can´t take trains before 9 AM. And you must validate the ticket by signing the names of the travellers on the ticket.