Best Month for Baltic

Hello all. I'm eyeing a fantastic Oceania Marina itinerary in June, 2016 from London to Stockholm in mid to late-June that hits the usual big Baltic ports along with Le Havre, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Oslo and quite a few other unique stops.

I've sailed in the Baltic twice....once is late May and the other in mid to late September. Both times I was very lucky with wonderful weather.

Has anyone sailed in mid to late June? Is this a good time to visit? Weather and crowds ok?

The other itinerary I would consider is mid to late August but I'm concerned about crowds more than weather.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Weather is ALWAYS a bit of a lottery in Northern Europe.

Statistically June have a bit warmer average temperature then May/September but there is no guarantee.

So there is no way one can say that a certain time of the summer is guaranteed to be warm/sunny

Weather is ALWAYS a bit of a lottery in Northern Europe. Statistically June have a bit warmer average temperature then May/September but there is no guarantee. So there is no way one can say that a certain time of the summer is guaranteed to be warm/sunny

YES, as wisely noted above, the Baltics can be a bit of a gamble. Below are some details summaries on the averages in these areas.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,940 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Desdichado62 and Terry for your info.

I think June sounds like a great option.

I love sailing in the Baltic....so much to see and do!

Thanks Desdichado62 and Terry for your info. I think June sounds like a great option. I love sailing in the Baltic....so much to see and do!

Desdichado62: The biggest advantage of sailing in June is the long bright summer nights.

Appreciate these above great points on the bright summer night with the late sunset during June evenings. Plus' date=' the point on so much to see and do at most of these ports in the Baltics. Unlike some areas of the Caribbean, there is more to do and see in these northern Europe areas than just walking around, shopping and seeing boring tee-shirt shops.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,800 views for this posting.