Best Ketchican Excursion

LuvtheBeach10

We are trying to decide what to do in Ketchican, our ship will be there on Thurs., July 16th from 6:30am - 1pm. We like adventure more than historical type excursions. What excursion would someone recommend? I think our first choice would be the float plane to Misty Fjords but I'm not sure we can fit that in our budget since we are doing a helicopter/dog sled excursion in Juneau so what would be a good second choice? The rainforest hikes look interesting but then so do the kayak trips to see things from a water view. Any recommendations on one vs. the other would be very much appreciated! Also the tour company you used, we are open to not booking through Princess as long as it is a reputable company!

I looked at the cruise line, trying to decide if going kayaking or hiking through the rain forest sounded the best. One had a crab feast but I didn't know if that was good or if we would be better off eating at one of the local restaurants (was the Red Onion Saloon in Ketchican?). This is our first trip to Alaska, so if anyone has done either of these and has a thumbs up or down, that might help us make a decision.

We're going back to Alaska for our second trip and have booked a private tour with Wild Wolf. We haven't done it yet, but she gets wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor. She offers several different hikes through the rainforest (not private) at a better price than the ship excursion, that's how I first got to her. So you should check out her website and read the reviews on Trip Advisor. In the meantime I can tell you that she was great and fast responding to our emails and helping us figure out what we want to do and see.

Edited by alaskawdw12

I would not recommend the rain forest hike you are referring to. If this is through the cruise line- it is extremely basic, and way over priced for what you get. In my opinion, most of the hiking in Alaska doesn't need a guide, and is free.

If the above "recommendation" is of interest, I would be sure to look at several first hand reports, and contacting the vendor, for specific details.

With your short time, the kayaking is a good choice, in GOOD weather. Nothing I will ever consider in rain. :) I recommend Southeast Kayaking, who is a long standing well run company. I've gotten walk up space, by calling as soon as I had cell service, BUT I also didn't care if I went or not, I also can easily last minute plan my day. It is going to be different with a less frequent visitor, perhaps?

Ok, thank you both for the information. Sounds like I need to do some more research! I am still hoping that someone who has done one of the tours through Princess will speak up. On the half days I'm a little nervous about missing the ship on a short schedule and the guarantee might keep us from stressing out while we are out and about enjoying the tour.

Ok, thank you both for the information. Sounds like I need to do some more research! I am still hoping that someone who has done one of the tours through Princess will speak up. On the half days I'm a little nervous about missing the ship on a short schedule and the guarantee might keep us from stressing out while we are out and about enjoying the tour.

Princess doesn't run any of these tours, they are a booking agent only. The Rainforest tour, is accurate what I noted above for this tour. Kayaking independent is superior for the time on the water and locations.

Alaska isn't the Caribbean. If you book independent with an established vendor, like I mention above, YOU would just need to state your ship and port time and go with the vendor's recommended schedule. Over many years, never has an Alaska vendor been the cause of someone missing their ship.

Princess doesn't run any of these tours, they are a booking agent only. The Rainforest tour, is accurate what I noted above for this tour. Kayaking independent is superior for the time on the water and locations.

Alaska isn't the Caribbean. If you book independent with an established vendor, like I mention above, YOU would just need to state your ship and port time and go with the vendor's recommended schedule. Over many years, never has an Alaska vendor been the cause of someone missing their ship.

Ok, I will look up Southeast Kayaking to see what they offer. Thank you so much for the information. Getting excited to have all this done!

On our first AK cruise with Princess we did the rain forest hike and were very disappointed. It was a short walk (not a hike IMHO) through a forest and not much else. It seemed really expensive for what we got. If you like adventure this is not for you. On our second visit we did the duck tour because we were traveling with a 92 year old. On our next 2 visits to Ketchikan we didn't book an excursion.

We're going back to Alaska for our second trip and have booked a private tour with Wild Wolf. We haven't done it yet, but she gets wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor. She offers several different hikes through the rainforest (not private) at a better price than the ship excursion, that's how I first got to her. So you should check out her website and read the reviews on Trip Advisor. In the meantime I can tell you that she was great and fast responding to our emails and helping us figure out what we want to do and see.

Thanks for recommending them. We wanted to do some hiking in Ketchikan and this looks like a good option!

Thanks for recommending them. We wanted to do some hiking in Ketchikan and this looks like a good option!

They haven't gone on the tour, so can't "recommend" it. You may want to consider, heading over to Tripadvisor. Actually has a feature to contact the poster. first hand reports will tell you the most.

I went ahead and booked the float plane over Misty Fjords with the crab feast at the George Inlet Lodge....it just sounds like a lot of fun! If anyone has done this, I would appreciate any feedback you have. There were only 6 slots left and we took up 3 of them so it must be a popular tour.

Snorkeling in Ketikan....world class reefs...and how many of your friends ever went in the water in Alaksa....and believe me, you will be warm...they provide all th right gear and it was wonderful...

Wow! Seriously? I looked at this one and just started shivering at the very thought ... but I admit I'm intrigued.

Just got back from Ketchikan, and did KTN-620 (Misty Fjords by boat). It was a very good excursion, good wildlife opportunities plus great fjord viewing plus some neat history viewing. I'd do it again, after doing Lighthouses/Totems/Eagles (maybe later this summer...) and perhaps a bear watch.

Snorkeling in Ketikan....world class reefs...and how many of your friends ever went in the water in Alaksa....and believe me, you will be warm...they provide all th right gear and it was wonderful...

I totally agree - I did the snorkeling trip last year. The water was refreshing - only a small part of your face even comes in contact with the water, and the wet suits keep you very warm - at times, almost too warm. Seeing the colorful start fish was amazing, and I loved the yellow kelp bed. An underwater camera is nice - I was amazed at the colors - totally different from the Caribbean or Hawaii. It was cloudy and raining a little when we went, and the weather was no problem. I'm sure the colors would have been brighter in the sun, but I loved the experience (and the bragging rights of having been snorkeling in Alaska has been fun).

I heard of this. How do you change into the wetsuits? Is there separate male and female changing rooms? Could I wear shorts under the wetsuits or is it too tight?

I heard of this. How do you change into the wetsuits? Is there separate male and female changing rooms? Could I wear shorts under the wetsuits or is it too tight?

You change clothes at the snorkel company's office and then take a very short ride to the bay - yes, a dressing room for men, and another for women. I think we wore nothing under the wet suit - maybe a bathing suit, but the wet suit is really snug, so even a bathing suit would bunch up. There is also a bathroom where you can change in private.

I looked at the cruise line, trying to decide if going kayaking or hiking through the rain forest sounded the best. One had a crab feast but I didn't know if that was good or if we would be better off eating at one of the local restaurants (was the Red Onion Saloon in Ketchican?). This is our first trip to Alaska, so if anyone has done either of these and has a thumbs up or down, that might help us make a decision.

The Red Onion is in Skagway and is a very good place to eat. Every time we are in Skagway we make it a point to go there for a least a drink. It was once a bordello during the gold rush era. It is quite quaint and there is a museum upstairs that has "cribs". Another great place for food is at the end of town on the right side of main street. I don't remember the name but the fish and chips are rememberable!!

Edited by kennelgang

You change clothes at the snorkel company's office and then take a very short ride to the bay - yes, a dressing room for men, and another for women. I think we wore nothing under the wet suit - maybe a bathing suit, but the wet suit is really snug, so even a bathing suit would bunch up. There is also a bathroom where you can change in private.

So I am assuming your face gets wet, while the rest of the body is dry? thanks for the response by the way.

You want wet suits to fit as snugly to your skin as is comfortable. This will help you stay warm.

I never thought of snorkeling in Alaska. I bet that's amazing. Hmm...wonder if I could make this work for this trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised Alaska 3 times. First time we booked S.E. Kayak's Orca tour-the guide was very nice, but I have to admit I was quite disappointed in the tour. With a name like Orca I was hoping for larger sea life than a starfish! It is very much a beginners tour. If you are content with sea anemones and starfish then book....if you are expecting more I would skip this one. The other 2 visits we had book the Misty Fjiords Float plane-unsuccessfully! The first time we skipped the port due to bad weather, the second time we got as far as the safety briefing when it was called off. So hopefully, you are more successful than we were!