Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

I asked the same question before our cruise and was told not to wear jeans at all in the dining room, even on casual night. However many people did wear jeans at night so we started to as well. our teenagers wore jeans in the dining room most nights on casual and smart casual nights. Our cruise was mostly Aussies though, who are less formal but there really was a mix of all sorts of attire.

The only times I saw people turned away from the dining room was if they wore shorts.

Yes, that would be fine and look very nice. Many will say that they won't pack jeans in the caribbean b/c they are too hot, but I always have them with me because I wear them on the plane and sometimes end up wearing them with a cute top and heels and never feel out of place. You will see "not-so-nice" jeans in the MDR as well.

In my town, this is a very typical look for going to nicer restaurants anyway, and it is in many places as well. It can look very nice, and just because people aren't used to it doesn't mean it's wrong. :)

Have a great time and don't sweat it!

I'm a guy, but I disagree with much of what's been said. I don't personally think jeans belong in the Dining Room. Can you wear them? Absolutely! Even on formal nights I've seen jeans, and the staff usually looks the other way. I just think Dining Rooms on ships deserve more than your usual Chili's-Applebees-Olive Garden attire. Feel free to flame away.

I'm a guy, but I disagree with much of what's been said. I don't personally think jeans belong in the Dining Room. Can you wear them? Absolutely! Even on formal nights I've seen jeans, and the staff usually looks the other way. I just think Dining Rooms on ships deserve more than your usual Chili's-Applebees-Olive Garden attire. Feel free to flame away.

Not even on the first night? ;)

Not even on the first night? ;)

First night shouldn't count, nor breakfast in the DR on the last morning (pretty much anything goes) - but again, that's just my opinion and on one cruise we had an elderly man who wore a t-shirt and shorts every night to dinner (maybe he lost his luggage, or maybe he just wanted to be comfortable).

Regardless of what I already wrote, I have no problem with people wearing whatever makes them happy, I just do what makes me happiest.

I agree with the above.

No flames from me and I even agree with you. The only point is that the question wasn´t what I feel is appropriate or not, the question was if they are allowed in the MDR and regardless of my opinion they are.

On our Hawaiin Cruise, I think I saw one couple maybe two in jeans on the casual nights, the men wore nice slacks and shirt, the ladies in nice slacks and lovely top. Seeing people nicely dressed even in jeans will not bother me, yet personally look at the dining room on a cruise ship as a finer restaurant, not a Denny's etc. For my DH & I we are in jeans or shorts at home so for us, putting on our nicer evening wear at dinner on a cruise is a treat to us. Some might be affended seeing others in jeans but speaking for ourselves it wouldn't bother us as long as the person is nicely dressed in jeans.

IMO, RCL has become a little lenient on what they allow people to wear in the dining room. You are bound to find someone wearing shorts, a t-shirt, flip-flops, or some combination of the 3. Personally, I like to see nicer clothes being worn on a cruise because, if I wanted to see shorts and flip flops for 7 nights straight, I would have stayed home and gone to T.G.I. Fridays. Then again, you really can't make someone who just spent upwards of $1,000 on a cruise wear something that they don't want to wear. The compass says that these garments are prohibited, but never once have I seen someone be turned back to their cabin to change. Bottom line, wear what makes you comfortable, and what makes you look good. But for god's sake, wear at least a collared shirt on formal night! LOL!

Seeing people nicely dressed even in jeans will not bother me, yet personally look at the dining room on a cruise ship as a finer restaurant, not a Denny's etc.

Your Denny's comment is really not relevant. Plenty of nice restaurants in NYC it is perfectly fine to wear jeans (and I'm sure NYC isn't unique). A cruise ship MDR certainly is no finer than these restaurants.

Personally, I like to see nicer clothes being worn on a cruise because, if I wanted to see shorts and flip flops for 7 nights straight, I would have stayed home and gone to T.G.I. Fridays. Then again, you really can't make someone who just spent upwards of $1,000 on a cruise wear something that they don't want to wear.

True about the shorts, but they should "make someone..." wear something decent no matter what they spend on a cruise.

Isn't dressing up in your finest all part of the tradition of cruising?

People know this before they book that they should dress up a bit. its all part of the fun. But then again, everyone just seems to want to dumb down everything these days don't they?

True about the shorts, but they should "make someone..." wear something decent no matter what they spend on a cruise.

People know this before they book that they should dress up a bit. its all part of the fun. But then again, everyone just seems to want to dumb down everything these days don't they?

One of the reasons I told my husband that I wanted to take a cruise, was so I would have a good excuse to buy some nice dressy clothes and play "dress up" for a week.

You go to the cruise line web site and it tells you what the "standard" of dress is. Yes, some people just do what they want to do anyway, they have that right I guess. But I think of it more like, running that stop sign, or speeding. Although it is not a "law" on a cruise, I will repsect their guidelines.

I dont plan on dressing up every night on my cruise, but will however avoid the MDR when I choose not to out of respect for others.

Yeah, a tradition, sitting right up there next to the rock walls, flow riders, ice skating rinks, miniature golf courses, etc. etc., just like they had on the Titanic, QE2, Norway and all the other liners. :rolleyes:

What has choosing the current fashionable clothing to wear on a casual night have to do with "dumbing down"?

If “they” allow those dressed in other than what is suggested for that evening to enter the MDR…”they” have the last word!

These jeans posts always are entertaining. I think your feelings on this depend on what you're used to--where you're from, how old you are, etc. In some cities, you would not wear khaki dockers out to a nice restaurant, but that seems to be what is expected in the MDR, which is basically the equivalent of a banquet hall. I feel that a nicely cut pair of jeans often look better and more appropriate than a pair of frumpy, poorly cut cotton or polyester pants. Sometimes you can't even tell that they are denim unless you feel them.

I have to agree, these clothes posts are entertaining and kind of amusing.

I guess dumbing down means if you wear jeans you're stupid, hee hee.

For all the people that want to cruise so they can play dress up, there are those that want to cruise so they can kick back. My DH wears a shirt and tie every day to work and HATES dressing up on vacation. I do like eating in the dining room every night so he will wear a collared shirt and jacket for formal nights. No tie! I don't like dresses so I'll wear black slacks and a dressy top. Polo's, Khakis, or capri's -gasp nice jeans other nights.

I guess I must feel on some level that you have to dress up a little for formal night or I wouldn't do it, but honestly I don't pay attention to what others a wearing and it wouldn't effect my time one way or the other to have someone at the next table (or my table) in shorts or a t-shirt.

And the denim being denim, what's a nice jean? Is that a for real question? To me, nice jeans are well.... nice jeans. Not faded, ripped (think 80's) cut off, patches sewed on. Ya know, not nice jeans. Big difference between not nice & nice.

I have to agree, these clothes posts are entertaining and kind of amusing.

I guess dumbing down means if you wear jeans you're stupid, hee hee.

For all the people that want to cruise so they can play dress up, there are those that want to cruise so they can kick back. My DH wears a shirt and tie every day to work and HATES dressing up on vacation. I do like eating in the dining room every night so he will wear a collared shirt and jacket for formal nights. No tie! I don't like dresses so I'll wear black slacks and a dressy top. Polo's, Khakis, or capri's -gasp nice jeans other nights.

I guess I must feel on some level that you have to dress up a little for formal night or I wouldn't do it, but honestly I don't pay attention to what others a wearing and it wouldn't effect my time one way or the other to have someone at the next table (or my table) in shorts or a t-shirt.

And the denim being denim, what's a nice jean? Is that a for real question? To me, nice jeans are well.... nice jeans. Not faded, ripped (think 80's) cut off, patches sewed on. Ya know, not nice jeans. Big difference between not nice & nice.

Agree on all counts! :)

Archived