Wonder vs Dream for those who have done both, questions

Krazyfuntimes

Ok, so we have done the Wonder twice and the Dream once. I have to save I loved the Wonder and all the activities at dinner and around the boat. However as pretty as the Dream was and updated, they lacked activities, especially for the adults. Only options were drinking and sports, LOL

So I have the opportunity to sail again next year and wanted to hear feedback from those who have gone recently (its been 4 years) to see if they have equaled out the activities on both boats. So for example they had dancing and such in the dining rooms on Wonder, not on Dream. Games, trivia, etc on Wonder, not Dream.

I will be sailing with 14 twins and 12 year old, so anyone who knows which boat might be better for this age group that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Ok, so we have done the Wonder twice and the Dream once. I have to save I loved the Wonder and all the activities at dinner and around the boat. However as pretty as the Dream was and updated, they lacked activities, especially for the adults. Only options were drinking and sports, LOL

So I have the opportunity to sail again next year and wanted to hear feedback from those who have gone recently (its been 4 years) to see if they have equaled out the activities on both boats. So for example they had dancing and such in the dining rooms on Wonder, not on Dream. Games, trivia, etc on Wonder, not Dream.

I will be sailing with 14 twins and 12 year old, so anyone who knows which boat might be better for this age group that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Been on both, Wonder last Oct, Dream a couple of years ago.

The problem with the "dancing" in the MDR is the Wonder MDRs have more room around the tables, than the Dream MDRs do. And the themeing is different. On the Wonder Triton's lends itself to Ariel dancing through, on the Dream there's no real tie in to any particular film (well, except maybe Animator's).

We found plenty of trivia on both the Dream and the Wonder (we like to go and just watch).

Personally I like the Wonder more. Right now it's still the only ship with her original look, and I feel the Dream class ships are just too large (too many people).

Personally I like the Wonder more. Right now it's still the only ship with her original look, and I feel the Dream class ships are just too large (too many people).

I agree.

It's a shame after the Wonder dry docks she will resemble the Magic more.

ex techie

I sailed both Classic ships and the newer Dream. I may be in the minority so far but I prefer the Dream - I won't sail on the classics again...mine is purely from an adult/eating & drinking standpoint. The dream had Remy & Palo instead of just one alternative restaurant. I know you said there wasn't much to do but drink for adults, but I really enjoyed the champagne bar and a few other venues on the Dream. I found the staff personable and enjoyed my time in them.

The expanded adult pool area was also a major plus and quiet while we were there. My stateroom furnishings were also beautiful - top notch on the Dream and I had the same category on both ships. It was a great place to return to and relax at the end of the day, and relax over breakfast in the morning.

The Magic remains my favorite of the ships.

The big issue with the Dream is that the very short cruises don't allow time for many activities. But she does have things like the midship detective agency that the classics don't.

As above-currently impossible to make Wonder predictions other than those changes which have been published.

I agree.

It's a shame after the Wonder dry docks she will resemble the Magic more.

ex techie

My thoughts exactly! Will be sailing on her for the third time in March. I hope we won't be disappointed in the "reimagination." Sometimes leaving well enough alone is the better option. Nice to know that Cadillac Lounge remains, but hope it won't be too glitzy now.

My thoughts exactly! Will be sailing on her for the third time in March. I hope we won't be disappointed in the "reimagination." Sometimes leaving well enough alone is the better option. Nice to know that Cadillac Lounge remains, but hope it won't be too glitzy now.

I absolutely agree!

I hope they don't mess about with the Cadillac Lounge too. I like the new name for Diversions, The Crown and Fin, although I think they should have gone with something other than another Irish pub.

Having another venue zone called After Hours just smacks of laziness to me, since they themed the Dream and Fantasy's areas separately and distinctly, and the Magic and Wonder had different named areas.

As for Azure to replace Wavebands...... I can see it being a Fathoms replica. Blue themed lighting. Nothing really different.

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Wonder yesterday and I assure you that she needs the overhaul. I don't have a problem with the common areas of the ship - they were lovely. But the AC is woefully inadequate. Even Palo was having the keep their doors closed because the heat was terrible. They sent an engineer to our room 4 times and finally gave us a fan. The Panama Canal cruise was wonderful but her systems need updating BADLY. I'm sure this hasn't been a problem in Alaska but for the warmer areas it's a real problem. I can't tell you how many people were complaining about the lack of AC. Having said that, we still booked another cruise on DCL and just love their cruises.

I just got off the Wonder yesterday and I assure you that she needs the overhaul. I don't have a problem with the common areas of the ship - they were lovely. But the AC is woefully inadequate. Even Palo was having the keep their doors closed because the heat was terrible. They sent an engineer to our room 4 times and finally gave us a fan. The Panama Canal cruise was wonderful but her systems need updating BADLY. I'm sure this hasn't been a problem in Alaska but for the warmer areas it's a real problem. I can't tell you how many people were complaining about the lack of AC. Having said that, we still booked another cruise on DCL and just love their cruises.

No one has any problem with upgrading of systems that need it after 15+ years of use. Where some of us cringe concerns the "reimagining" of lovely, iconic spaces like the atrium. What they did to the Magic is criminal. They basically turned it into a "mini Fantasy" and used the excuse that they want to make things uniform across the fleet. This is the oft heard excuse for some things, but than in other areas we hear about how they want to have each ship be unique (Marvel Academy on Magic, Star Wars on Fantasy, etc.)

They removed a lovely, unique chandelier and replaced it with a big version of something you could buy at any lighting store. They removed one of the "double staircases" that allowed amazing staging of events. And they have a chunk of basically wasted space in the area--I understand that it is great for the gingerbread house, but it serves no purpose for the rest of the year. The "reimagined" atrium could be in any hotel. I'd hate to see the Wonder undergo the same desecration, although I fear it is in the cards.

Yes, there are public spaces that need updating, either to function better (turning BBB into Cabanas) or to fit into the Disney theme better (Parrot Cay to Tiana's). But some things should be thoroughly cleaned and left alone!

They removed a lovely' date=' unique chandelier and replaced it with a big version of something you could buy at any lighting store. They removed one of the "double staircases" that allowed amazing staging of events. And they have a chunk of basically wasted space in the area- [b']I understand that it is great for the gingerbread house[/b], but it serves no purpose for the rest of the year. The "reimagined" atrium could be in any hotel. I'd hate to see the Wonder undergo the same desecration, although I fear it is in the cards.

Don't forget the Halloween tree.

Don't forget the Halloween tree.

But the Halloween tree has been fine where the Christmas tree goes when the season changes.

I still don't like the new atrium on the Magic...and it is sad that they've had to move the gingerbread house because guests couldn't keep their hands off it or respect the barriers that were erected. I agree that the location by the Guest Services desk was not optimal, but that was the second location when the original (by Promenade Lounge/Internet Cafe) had seen far too much vandalism. It's another case where DCL couldn't make parents supervise their offspring so had to take steps to protect the ship's property.

Although I have not sailed on the Magic since the re imagination I agree with most of your views Moki.

The chandelier had additional issue. Scuttlebutt had it that it was so big and long, over time the chandelier was swaying more and more with the vessels rolling and pitching. The inspection showed the joints were loosening and DCL was getting worried it may come apart and or fall.

DCL rumors were they were going to have it repaired and then used somewhere else, maybe a resort etc.

AKK

Although I have not sailed on the Magic since the re imagination I agree with most of your views Moki.

The chandelier had additional issue. Scuttlebutt had it that it was so big and long' date=' over time the chandelier was swaying more and more with the vessels rolling and pitching. The inspection showed the joints were loosening and DCL was getting worried it may come apart and or fall.

DCL rumors were they were going to have it repaired and then used somewhere else, maybe a resort etc.

AKK[/quote']

I didn't hear the part about needing repair, but I did read that it was going to be installed in the terminal at PC. Thanks for the info.

There are parts of the re-imagining that we really liked. Fathoms (nightclub) is nice. It is good to have Parrot Cay gone, but Carrioca's isn't a great addition. In addition, the name is too close to "Cabanas." Perhaps Tiana's Place will be better--the concept drawings were amazing.

We did the Alaska sailing this summer on the Wounder and I noticed that the chandler had chipped glass and was noticeably moving. While it looks nice a first glance, it is obviously suffering from wear and tear.

M59MHWh9o7LaHY1eA

https://goo.gl/photos/M59MHWh9o7LaHY1eA

The chandeliers aren't made of glass. Because glass would have been too heavy, Chihuly developed a special plexiglass that would be light enough to put on the ship. It is actually a form of plastic that he could treat in much the same way as his glass sculptures.

The chandeliers aren't made of glass. Because glass would have been too heavy' date=' Chihuly developed a special plexiglass that would be light enough to put on the ship. It is actually a form of plastic that he could treat in much the same way as his glass sculptures.[/quote']

And it was designed to flex. If the light supports were stiff (unmovable) they would have snapped off and been a danger.

But the Halloween tree has been fine where the Christmas tree goes when the season changes.

I still don't like the new atrium on the Magic...and it is sad that they've had to move the gingerbread house because guests couldn't keep their hands off it or respect the barriers that were erected. I agree that the location by the Guest Services desk was not optimal' date=' but that was the second location when the original (by Promenade Lounge/Internet Cafe) had seen far too much vandalism. It's another case where DCL couldn't make parents supervise their offspring so had to take steps to protect the ship's property.[/quote']

I was going to say, the only time we were on a cruise with the Gingerbread house was on the Magic in November 2001. It was by the stairway right before the Promenade Lounge. I was thinking that the tree was by where the second staircase used to be, but now I'm not sure about that.