Best time to book

LovetheCubs

Costs are lowest on "opening day" and increase as the ship fills. We've done cruises that never increased in price--the booking price at opening and embarkation were the same. We've also done cruises where the ship was booking so quickly that prices were increasing every 30 minutes or so.

Best time to book is as soon as you know what you want. Historically, price drops are very rare. increases are very common. And if a price drops before the penalty date, DCL will rebook you and give you the difference.

Costs are lowest on "opening day" and increase as the ship fills. We've done cruises that never increased in price--the booking price at opening and embarkation were the same. We've also done cruises where the ship was booking so quickly that prices were increasing every 30 minutes or so.

Best time to book is as soon as you know what you want. Historically' date=' price drops are very rare. increases are very common. And if a price drops before the penalty date, DCL will rebook you and give you the difference.[/quote']

Is it true that if you book and the price increases but you want to change cabin types you pay the rate for when you booked and not the current rate?

Is it true that if you book and the price increases but you want to change cabin types you pay the rate for when you booked and not the current rate?

That does not sound like DCL!

I may be wrong, but where have you read that?

ex techie

Yes. I changed cabin types twice and I paid the rate that was in place when I originally booked. However, it must be the same ship and same sailing. It does not apply to changing ships or dates.

That is absolutely true, you are locked into the rates for the day you booked, but only for that specific cruise. Book early on DCL, we always book ASAP and there always price increases. It seems as the economy continues to recover all cruise lines are continuing to raise prices. On April 10th we booked a Carnival Vista cruise fir June 2017, the price on that has already gone up over $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On DCL, the day that you pay your deposit you are locked into a "tier" of pricing. If you later move to a different cabin while keeping your party the same, you pay the price that was in effect at the time of the original booking. If you add another person, you pay the "additional person" rate that is in effect at the time they are added. We have done both of these things.

This was the policy that was in effect 18 months ago. There have been a lot of changes at DCL, and I can't swear that it is the same today.

• 2 months later...
Is there a better time to book a Disney cruise? I know other lines do promotions and such and I am sure Disney does not do! However is there a best time to book for best price and such??

Don't know about Disney, but in general it is usually best to book as early as possible. If a spring sale comes along, you can always rebook if is before the final payment date.

My wife and I have an outstanding example: Back in December of 2014, we booked an Asian back-to-back cruise on Celebrity for a departure this coming October - that's 22 months in advance. Since 2014 the price of our same class of balcony cabins with the same perks has risen by slightly over 55%!

While our example is certainly unusual, increases of 10% to 20% are not uncommon.

Bottom line is: book when you find what you want for what you are willing to pay.

Cruise on

Larry

Because I know I could get the lower price, I have checked our cruise's price daily since the day we booked. We booked 10 months in advance and the prices definitely went up...until 4 months before embarkation. It is currently 2 dollars cheaper than the price we booked it at and we have just under 3 months to go now. Just paid in full...so we will see what the prices to from here till we go on it. Can't do anything about it now though.

Because I know I could get the lower price, I have checked our cruise's price daily since the day we booked. We booked 10 months in advance and the prices definitely went up...until 4 months before embarkation. It is currently 2 dollars cheaper than the price we booked it at and we have just under 3 months to go now. Just paid in full...so we will see what the prices to from here till we go on it. Can't do anything about it now though.

However, you have the peace of mind knowing you are booked on that sailing, I presume you chose which Cat Stateroom and it's location, so no guessing where you may be placed with a GTY booking, and can relax knowing it is all taken care of, and if you are a planner, prepping!

What price does one put on that, even if it drops a couple of hundred?

So many pro's and not as many con's with your booking IMO.

ex techie

• 3 weeks later...
Generally how far in advance are the cruises put up for sale? Is there a way to find the dates?

Generally price reductions do not occur until after the "penalty date" for the cruise. The penalty date varies with the length of the cruise, embarkation port, and whether it is based outside the US. That said, penalty dates range from 75 to 120 days before embarkation.

Note--I said "generally." I have seen special offers as far as 6 months before the cruise, but these are very rare.

When these special offers come out, there is no way to predict how long they will stick around. Obviously the number of cabins are limited. Sometimes a special rate may last 2 days and sometimes will hang around for many months. Your best option is to book it as soon as you know for sure that you want it. Most of these rates are "restricted." READ the full list of restrictions, but the biggies are that it has to be fully paid at the time of booking and NO changes of any sort are allowed after that. Payment is completely non-refundable. SO, a good deal if it works for you, and it is also a good time to thing about travel insurance.

Generally how far in advance are the cruises put up for sale? Is there a way to find the dates?

around the 18 month mark. There is usually 3 releases a year, one around October that will give you the winter prices for the next year through til about January so for example in October 2015 they released the September 2016 to January 2017 cruises (I think) then in March 2016 there was another release for January through to May 2017. Then in May 2016 there was the summer release for May-September 2017. They used to be very predictable but this year they weren't as precise date wise. It gives you something to aim for though

Edited by gismo1554

• 3 weeks later...