When to arrive at New York Pier

partsgal

Our cruise is coming up soon and concierge keeps telling us to get there at11:30. I have cruised many different cruise lines and we always get there around 10:30 and board pretty quick. I don't want to get there late as I would like to be one of first ones on board. We have 2and half year old twins and a 6 year old. Needless to say don't want to get there too early and wait outside! Any thoughts from those that have cruised Disney before?

Our cruise is coming up soon and concierge keeps telling us to get there at11:30. I have cruised many different cruise lines and we always get there around 10:30 and board pretty quick. I don't want to get there late as I would like to be one of first ones on board. We have 2and half year old twins and a 6 year old. Needless to say don't want to get there too early and wait outside! Any thoughts from those that have cruised Disney before?

The Concierge are working for you and not against you, so if they say 11:30 then that is the best time for you to arrive.

As Concierge Guests, you are the first to board the ship before the Platinum, Gold and Silver Guests.

Keep in contact with them in case anything changes, but be assured they are offering good advice.

ex techie

As concierge, you will check in as soon as you arrive and board as soon as boarding starts. If you arrive after boarding starts, you'll board as soon as you have checked in. The platinums will board right after concierge.

I agree that 11:30 seems a little late...but I do want to believe that the shoreside concierge team knows how that port will work.

I agree with you also. I really don't know when to arrive at the port. If it was my husband and I, I would get there early. With 3 kids I'm not so sure. Anyone know if there is concierge lounge at this pier? Hope someone who will be going out of this port leaves some feedback.

Hi ex techie, we are being drivin to port by a service. We live about an hour and a half away.

OK, so this means that you have nothing to do at that port when you arrive--you will pull up at the porter's area, they will take your luggage, you'll tip them and the towncar driver, and enter the security line for the terminal. If you have any wait at all to check in, it will be short as you'll wait behind only other concierge guests.

On MOST DCL cruises, boarding starts between 11:15 and 11:30. At terminals that don't have a separated concierge lounge seating area, DCL will typically designate a few rows of chairs right at the front as "concierge," Reality--the lounge at PC is nice, but all it really has is some more comfy chairs and a couple tables with coloring equipment to entertain kids. It's not nearly as nice as the waiting areas that some cruise lines have for their top tier level passengers.

Based on this logic, I would plan to arrive between 11 and 11:30. If you arrive at 11, you might wait in the crummy terminal for just a few minutes...but then, you might plan to arrive at 11, get stuck in traffic, and get there at 11:30. If you arrive at 11:30, you can expect to walk right thru the check in process and board the ship.

Of course, all of this is based on a normal disembarkation from the cruise before you and a normal boarding process. Neither of those can be assured at any port! Wait till you have a cruise where check in doesn't start till 2 pm. NO FUN! That's almost always a Customs and Immigration issue and DCL can't do anything about it other than process people as quickly as possible once disembarkation is complete.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks Moki for the info. I was shooting for11:00, but expect to hit a wait line at the pier. Alot hinges on how fast my daughter and her family will be ready to leave. Getting three kids out the door takes time. I was hoping someone who is cruising out of NY before us could leave some feedback on times.

Thanks Moki for the info. I was shooting for11:00, but expect to hit a wait line at the pier. Alot hinges on how fast my daughter and her family will be ready to leave. Getting three kids out the door takes time. I was hoping someone who is cruising out of NY before us could leave some feedback on times.

It will be great if someone with NY experience can fill you in. However, I've found that things are a lot more variable when using ports other than PC. For instance, we've done at least 5 cruises out of Barcelona and no two were the same. Dover was amazingly good, San Juan equally amazingly bad.

Even with three kids, you just have to be ready to roll with the punches and you'll be starting the fun soon. I'm sure their mother is well versed in packing some small items for entertainment and some neat but possibly essential snacks. I was the most popular mom in the airport the day our flight was delayed by 7 hours and something had made me toss a box of Teddy Grahams into the diaper bag.......

Have a great cruise.