MSC - Family Friendly Ships?

lifeasme123

We are long time cruisers on RCI and are considering a new cruise line. We like Royal because it is kid friendly.

Are MSC ships kid-friendly? Any particular ship more so than the others?

TIA

Not as friendly for kids as rcl and ncl.

I disagree, I think they were VERY kid friendly. My DD LOVED the kid's club for many reasons.

Italians in general are very family oriented and kids are a big part of the culture.

Thank you! I am doing research on this cruise line for a future cruise. Looking to branch out and try something different.

I disagree, I think they were VERY kid friendly. My DD LOVED the kid's club for many reasons.

Italians in general are very family oriented and kids are a big part of the culture.

I totally agree with you. MSC LOVES kids! My 3 year old is totally spoiled on Divina...we are eagerly awaiting September 10 for his 7th cruise on her (his first was when he was an infant) and each and every time he is treated like a little prince! From the Kid's Club to the pools to the restaurants...the crew treats him as if he were their own child!

Yes but MSC does not have rock climbing walls and flow riders which kids love to do.

Yes but MSC does not have rock climbing walls and flow riders which kids love to do.

True, but I thought the OP was asking more in terms of a kid friendly environment. Their frequent "kids sail free" promos illustrate just how friendly they are to families. My DD never missed those things on MSC as the pool and the awesome staff at the Kids club made her cruise very enjoyable. Their kids clubs are very different in that they take kids all around the ship...they really enjoy all aspects of the cruise ship.

I am doing research on this cruise line for a future cruise. Looking to branch out and try something different.

Good for you! "Different" is the operative word when it comes to MSC!! "Vive la difference!" Hope you enjoy it should you choose to book. :)

Good for you! "Different" is the operative word when it comes to MSC!! "Vive la difference!" Hope you enjoy it should you choose to book. :)

Oh you'e pique my interests. :-) How is it different?

I am looking at the Med cruises next summer. I went to the website and I'm already confused by the "level of experiences" one can book. I had to call customer service to explain to me. I did not want to just purchase the lowest experience of a balcony cabin and get only the cabin! lol :-)

We are very interested in a SE Asia & Australia cruise. I did read on another thread in this forum talking about this so i'll keep an eye over there.

Edited by jen70

I totally agree with you. MSC LOVES kids! My 3 year old is totally spoiled on Divina...we are eagerly awaiting September 10 for his 7th cruise on her (his first was when he was an infant) and each and every time he is treated like a little prince! From the Kid's Club to the pools to the restaurants...the crew treats him as if he were their own child!

7th cruise as 3 year old!!! WOW he's got our little one beat! She's 6th and on her 9th cruise (all on RCI and Celebrity). The 10th will be on Anthem of the seas for 12 days in Jan.

Thank you for sharing your experiences on crew and kids!

We are looking at the Fantasia or the new one Summer 2017. I would like to try Divina but DH wants a new itinerary.

I saw in your signature multiple MSC sailing. Any ships better for kids than others?

Is the kids club open during port days?

Edited by jen70

I'm ok w/no rock climbing walls and flow riders. We did the rocking climbing walls once and only watched the flow riders. For our DD we are looking for more of an all-around kid friendly atmosphere. For example, I am told Holland America is not a good one for kids. It caters to a different clientele. Not sure they what I was told is accurate though since I have never been on HA.

Looking for an active kids club, pool (and not just kiddie pool), etc.

MSC is very child friendly. While I didn't cruise with any children (except my 32 year old one), I observed several difference on MSC from other cruise lines.

All the other cruise lines I have been on make a big point that no children without parents are allowed in the first row in the theater.

MSC reserves a whole section in the front of the theater on a side section for all the children to sit in with the kid's program counselors being the chaperones.

There are also cruise staff run games that are designated as "Family" activities in the daily program.

Edited by Homosassa

7th cruise as 3 year old!!! WOW he's got our little one beat! She's 6th and on her 9th cruise (all on RCI and Celebrity). The 10th will be on Anthem of the seas for 12 days in Jan.

Thank you for sharing your experiences on crew and kids!

We are looking at the Fantasia or the new one Summer 2017. I would like to try Divina but DH wants a new itinerary.

I saw in your signature multiple MSC sailing. Any ships better for kids than others?

Is the kids club open during port days?

I've only sailed on the Divina so I cannot attest to the other MSC ships but I'm sure they are all wonderful! Yes, the Kid's Club is open all day on port days. The staff even takes them to the buffet for lunch! I usually take my little one off the ship for an hour or two when we first dock then I take him back to the Kid's Club while I go shopping for a couple of hours. Heaven for both of us!!! He doesn't have to shop with me (boring!) and I don't feel guilty dragging him to do something he doesn't care for!

I've only sailed on the Divina so I cannot attest to the other MSC ships but I'm sure they are all wonderful! Yes, the Kid's Club is open all day on port days. The staff even takes them to the buffet for lunch! I usually take my little one off the ship for an hour or two when we first dock then I take him back to the Kid's Club while I go shopping for a couple of hours. Heaven for both of us!!! He doesn't have to shop with me (boring!) and I don't feel guilty dragging him to do something he doesn't care for!

This is so great to know!!!! Royal does that as well and it is a win-win (for mom and daughter). :-)

Do they charge for this service? Royal did not but Celebrity did.

I'm ok w/no rock climbing walls and flow riders. We did the rocking climbing walls once and only watched the flow riders. For our DD we are looking for more of an all-around kid friendly atmosphere. For example, I am told Holland America is not a good one for kids. It caters to a different clientele. Not sure they what I was told is accurate though since I have never been on HA.

Looking for an active kids club, pool (and not just kiddie pool), etc.

I believe it's all depend what you mean -good one for kids or not good one for kids. All cruise lines (well almost:rolleyes:) have kids club and good programs for kids include HAL. For my kids to be on ship by the pool , good food , and some kids club activities in evening, its more then enough to consider cruise line s a good one for kids.

This is so great to know!!!! Royal does that as well and it is a win-win (for mom and daughter). :-)

Do they charge for this service? Royal did not but Celebrity did.

Nope they do not charge for it. MY DD LOVED the kid's club...she always asked to go and didn't want to be picked up till closing..lol...which shocked me as she normally doesn't like kids club....The counselors are doing something right.

I have to comment on the kids club - we cruised on the Divina this summer and my daughters both went to the kids club a couple of times. (ages 8 & 10). They said the kids club was "OK" and that a couple of times the counselors actually screamed at some of the kids who weren't listening and doing what they were told.

The activities on the Divina were very "loosely" run (they actually colored a lot which for 8 & 10 year old is not exciting). You only had to write their names in a book and sign when you dropped them off and picked them up. The "doremi chef" was a joke --- there were about 100 kids crammed around tables in a lounge rolling pre-made dough into gnocchi - not even any mixing. That was one of the most chaotic things I have ever seen!

For comparison-we have been on the NCL Breakaway and NCL Dawn and, in my opinion, their kids programs are FAR superior in both structure, type of activities, counselor attitude, and with their drop off and pick up procedures. (my kids actually cried when we left and begged to go every day)

All kids are different.............

Edited by akba15

I'd also like to chime in. My kids are 15 & 13. I agree with Riclop, MSC doesn't have the activities that RCCL and NCL have for older kids.

We were on the Divina and it did look like they had a LOT to offer the younger kiddos. I think 6 year old would do just fine on MSC.

• 5 weeks later...