Ocean Cay Opening Delayed Until October 2018

Mikesa1721

It also doesn't mean, we can't cancel before final payment...which we are all at.

I'm not thinking I will cancel, even though I will not be happy with another Nassau stop if that is what they decide to do. We booked because we wanted to join our friends and cruise on a new ship.

Anyway, we are doing a "trial run" of MSC in November to see if we even like the product. Then we will figure out what to do. ;)

We've talked about it and we won't cancel either and are also doing a "trial run" in December. I'm pretty sure we'll love or at the very least like enough to cruise again on the new Seaside.

Looking forward to it.

Jersey ... The overnight in Nassau came from the UK office in their email to me, I am guessing that they are basing that on the media reports that the head office released.

The first cruise on 23 rd December now currently looks like this ....

23 rd Miami, 24 th Nassau, 25 th At Sea, 26 th. Charlotte Amalie, 27 th At Sea, 28 th At Sea, 29 th Who Knows, 30 th Miami.

Contingent on the same pricing and promotions a year later?

How would you like your disappointment served today?

If they don't come through with I am expecting, it's not a problem. There are other cruise lines for us to go on. It's pure speculation as to how their marketing department will handle things. They advertised a product that included X and now they want to substitute Y. If they offer the same OBC and the pricing is about the same, we'll flip and rebook for 2019. If not, we'll move on and never look back. I have to assume that I am not the only person that feels this way. The private island with all of its innovations were a primary reason for us to book. The least they can do is honor the promotion and rate we now have as good will for not fulfilling the grand opening date that they originally promoted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If they don't come through with what I am expecting, it's not a problem. There are other cruise lines for us to go on. It's pure speculation as to how their marketing department will handle things. They advertised a product that included X and now they want to substitute Y. If they offer the same OBC and the pricing is about the same, we'll flip and rebook for 2019. If not, we'll move on and never look back. I have to assume that I am not the only person that feels this way. The private island with all of its innovations were a primary reason for us to book. The least they can do is honor the promotion and rate we now have as good will for not fulfilling the grand opening date that they originally promoted.

The likely hood the promo and prices will be the same in 2019 is not very good.I doubt they do any compensation.I can see them letting the customers from europe their money back with no penalty like we can in the USA.From what ive read and heard its is nassau to replace ocean cay and for cruises already goig to nassau it will be another island most likely San Juan

Ive heard San juan from one of the usa's regional sales mgr.The announcement of the delay was made two soon it was suppose to be made at a ceremony it the bahamas coming soon.so it through them all off most people didnt know of the delay yet others were working on srtting up alt ports.To stay over night is much more cost prohibited because the docking and other fees are much more .I ve been told it is San juan but that the days they are i the other ports coul change .They are also looking into using ncls island which they have i the past but they need to go thru ncl s ships ittenerarys to see if it is doable.All this rescheduleing takes time like i said the announcemen from what i har should not of been made when it was .ow eveeryone is behind trying to catch up.We all know things could change again but this is what i hear right now

I sailed on the Divina for the first time March 2016. It was my first MSC cruise and our 16th overall. We loved the ship and loved our cruise. We booked the Seaside for March 2018 specifically for the private island.

We would probably enjoy the Seaside but the islands are the same old, same old. With out the new private island it will not be worth it. I have not cancelled yet but I probably will. We are looking at alternatives. Also I have seen that CCL has really beaten the others price wise lately. They are not offering any "free" perks but simply a lower price for cruising. I am looking at them as a change since I haven't been on Carnival in a while. Also looking at NCL POA in Hawaii but it is pricing since they are the only game in town.

Good luck to all in this quandary since we all thought we were booking something that we are now finding out we are not getting.

I'm probably going to get some not so nice comments from this but to start an argument is not my intention. I personally can not understand booking any cruise just for a particular port of call. Out of the 70+ cruises I have been on, numerous (and I mean numerous) ports of call have been cancelled for a variety of reasons. Storms, winds, currents, medical emergencies, you name it. I've been through it all.

I just shake my head at the line at Guest Services demanding compensation (above and beyond the few measly dollars they credit you) for missing a port of call. As someone on here put it so eloquently, feces occurs. Don't get me wrong, it's very refreshing to go some place you have never been. But, if you are booking a cruise only for that reason, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just my two cents even if no one asked. :p

Bret

Nobody is talking about a stop cancellation due to whatever. This was a deliberate misinformation by the line, knowing full well that there was no way the island could be finished on time, or even close. It still shows on their website as a stop on the cruises that can't go there.

Plenty of people who have been to these same Caribbean islands many times, specifically booked Seaside for this new island. If we were talking about merely a missed port, I would agree that, if seeing Aruba was critical to me, don't book a cruise; go there on your own. I cannot go to MSC's private island without sailing on a cruise. I am still interested in sailing Seaside, but I'll need to cancel my April 2018 cruise and wait until the island is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm probably going to get some not so nice comments from this but to start an argument is not my intention. I personally can not understand booking any cruise just for a particular port of call. Out of the 70+ cruises I have been on, numerous (and I mean numerous) ports of call have been cancelled for a variety of reasons. Storms, winds, currents, medical emergencies, you name it. I've been through it all.

Totally agree Bret !

Just my two cents even if no one asked. :p

Make it four :p

Bret

I do understand that some book a cruise based on the ports, however, it's sure not something I'd do. We book our vacations based on our likelyhood of being able to enjoy it, whether it's the ship, the ship and ports or just being together. We've never booked a vacation (land or cruise) booked on just one thing.

I do feel badly that some feel duped by MSC due to the new island not being available for their cruise date but, yes, it happens and you only need to look at the other cruise lines, it's not easy to BUILD a fabulous resort island in a finite period of time when those you're depending on time things differently. Sorry Bret... my flame is out... no flame from me. :p

Cheers,

Edited by All-ready2cruise

I think you are missing my point. If it had opened on time and you missed Ocean Cay due to an unforeseen circumstance, would you still be up in arms? That's my point.

If the answer is yes, then I feel sorry for you. If the answer is no, then why are you upset now? A missed port is a missed port. Period. The discussion of misinformation prior to your cruise is irrelevant to what I am trying to convey.

Bret

I can see both sides of the story though. Looking forward to seeing what shows up in place of Ocean Cay for my sailing.

That's simple. If you're booked on the Western swing, then you're now stopping at Nassau, which was already announced at the press conference. If you're on the Eastern swing that is already stopping at Nassau, then it's pure speculation at this point where the port stop will be. San Juan, St. Maarten or Key West would be the most logical. The Divina stops at the first two, so MSC has a relationship with those ports of call and Key West would be the closest geographically to where Ocean Caye will be.

Maybe they will announce it on the 6th of October which is supposed to be the official start of the work on Ocean Cay, no doubt they will have the press there and make it all official despite the fact that they should have begun work in March this year.

Before the end of the year would be better for the decision than waiting into 2017 as the UK office seem to think it may be.

Construction timelines move all the time. The amount of red tape they have to deal with, as well as all the sub contracts, it's not uncommon for any major project to be shifted. I believe NCL had a similar issue with their Harvest Cay.

MSC gave you plenty of notice. I understand it is disappointing for many, but you have other options and I'm sure you can still find an enjoyable cruise until the island is ready.

Happy sailing, folks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We too are very sad to hear the Island day will not be available to us.

We booked the Seaside in interior YC and were excited to be able to visit this Island and see all the things MSC promised.

Thanks CC you really keep us all up to date on all the info on cruising.

Looking at changing our cruise also.

MSC gave you plenty of notice.

And therein lies the issue!

MSC have not given anyone any notice and to date they have failed to contact everyone booked on Seaside to inform them that changes will be made, people only found out because the original thread starter found the press release and created a thread here. The original one was later changed to include mention of the possibility of another port for those cruises that already included Nassau.

No doubt that there will be thousands yet who still do not know anything has or will be changed.

MSC should never have promised people that the island would be ready for the first cruise on 23rd December 2017, and my belief is that they used this to drive the bookings for Seaside knowing full well that the work would never begin in March 2016.