new to MSC- a few questions

S.S.Oceanlover

Can anybody tell me what the deposit is for an MSC cruise. It tells me the total price but not the deposit amount. I don't want to fill out all that information just to find out the deposit amount.

I'm guessing MSC doesn't do anytime dining? If not do they have tables for 2?

I'm looking at the Seaside for January or February of 2018 if that matters.

TIA

Bill

Anytime dining is available only for Aurea and Yacht Club cabins in their exclusive area/restaurant, and have tables for two.

Allegedly it is available for Fantastica balcony guests

see the last sentence of the information below

experience%20FANTASTICA.jpg

Pete

Deposit for European passengers is 100 euros per passenger even children.

Yes in YC you can secure tables for 2 and anytime dining however \for the rest of the ship if you book b2 or higher you have only a preferential dining time. Which means you have your pick of early or late dinner seating. I'm nearly positive that tables for 2 are nonexistent in the MDR and you will be required to share a table every evening however your tablemates will always be the same passengers.

hope this helps

I booked the new YC Inside cabin on the Seaside for myself and my teenage son. I was only charged $100 total. So I'm thinking they don't charge a deposit for kids. The sailing I booked was March 2018. I did it online about 2 weeks ago. Don't expect much in the form of a deposit invoice. I received an email saying they charged my card. Then another email that gave me my reservation number. When I log onto my MSC site, I can see my reservations including the OBC. I will probably be transferring my ressie to my TA in the very near future. I have not tried to call an MSC rep, I've heard too much about wait times. I figure I will wait for the TA to take over the ressie if I have any questions

Edited by djmess

Yes in YC you can secure tables for 2 and anytime dining however \for the rest of the ship if you book b2 or higher you have only a preferential dining time. Which means you have your pick of early or late dinner seating. I'm nearly positive that tables for 2 are nonexistent in the MDR and you will be required to share a table every evening however your tablemates will always be the same passengers.

hope this helps

This isn't correct with the new experiences. Aurea experience has anytime dining in a separate dining room (or part of the MDR).

Deposit for European passengers is 100 euros per passenger even children.

hope this helps

Nor in the UK. It's £100 per person cruise on,y and£250 per person for fly/cruise package and unlike in the US, deposits are non refundable (unless they cancel)

Pete

Hmm, wonder when they introduced that change? Nope it isn't true for our Caribbean repo. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and like set dining times with a set table. I like having the same table and companions for the duration of the cruise. I suspect My Time will not work well for a solo and end up with me eating alone or stuck with people who don't speak English as a first language. I don't mind at breakfast and lunch, but I like a long dinner with good conversation and my French and Spanish are fine for all the tourist stuff plus a bit bit not real dinner conversation. My Italian and German I'd worse.

Then there is the advantage, especially on longer cruises of your waiter getting to know you and your habits. No idea how leaving an unfinished bottle of wine would work either. At the same table every night, it is sitting there waiting for you.

Edited by AmoMondo

Hmm, wonder when they introduced that change? Nope it isn't true for our Caribbean repo. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and like set dining times with a set table. I like having the same table and companions for the duration of the cruise. I suspect My Time will not work well for a solo and end up with me eating alone or stuck with people who don't speak English as a first language. I don't mind at breakfast and lunch, but I like a long dinner with good conversation and my French and Spanish are fine for all the tourist stuff plus a bit bit not real dinner conversation. My Italian and German I'd worse.

Then there is the advantage, especially on longer cruises of your waiter getting to know you and your habits. No idea how leaving an unfinished bottle of wine would work either. At the same table every night, it is sitting there waiting for you.

On our cruise with Aurea experience we chose to have our dinner at the same time every night and our Aurea host ensured we had a table for two with the same waiting team which allowed us to build up a rapport with them and they always had our wine ready for us.

So it is entirely possible to have a table ,with the same companions and waiting team with the My Time dining arrangements. The choice is still there to have traditional dining arrangements :-Quote "Priority choice of dining".

The My Time dining is an additional choice for Fantastica balcony guests. I suspect there will be a waiting list system in the MDR to cope with it.

I'll be interested in how they arrange the two experiences dining facilities as when I was in Aurea the fantastica choice was not available

On our cruise with Aurea experience we chose to have our dinner at the same time every night and our Aurea host ensured we had a table for two with the same waiting team which allowed us to build up a rapport with them and they always had our wine ready for us.

So it is entirely possible to have a table ,with the same companions and waiting team with the My Time dining arrangements. The choice is still there to have traditional dining arrangements :-Quote "Priority choice of dining".

The My Time dining is an additional choice for Fantastica balcony guests. I suspect there will be a waiting list system in the MDR to cope with it.

I'll be interested in how they arrange the two experiences dining facilities as when I was in Aurea the fantastica choice was not available

Thanks Pete, we shall have to wait to see how it works in practice. Many may not have noticed this yet anyway! I think if there is still the option to have same time and table, then that is the best of both worlds. Passengers can then choose what they want. Seems though that the move is to flexible dining generally across the industry.

Pete

That was not available on Opera in November. We had 2 Balcony cabins and looked for Mytime dining on the basis of the above and were denied it. We were told that our table was such a good table by a window that we would be silly to change!

• 8 months later...
That was not available on Opera in November. We had 2 Balcony cabins and looked for Mytime dining on the basis of the above and were denied it. We were told that our table was such a good table by a window that we would be silly to change!

There is an answer today:

They do NOT offer the my time dining. Sorry. From TA. :mad:

There is an answer today:

They do NOT offer the my time dining. Sorry. From TA. :mad:

I've done some screen shots from the UK web site, about 20 minutes ago. The online brochure for UK 2016/2017 and the online UK brochure 2017/2018. In addition I've also got a screen shot from the "fares by experience" from the main web site

I just wonder whether this applies to cruises after the new season starts in April 2017 and cruises before that doesn't get the privilege

page 22 UK 2016/2017

fantastica%20uk16_17.jpg

page 116 UK 2017/2018

fantastica%20uk17_18.jpg

fares by experience

fantastica%20fares%20by%20exprerince.jpg

So they are offered in the UK a I said in my original post

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I wonder if the confusion is being caused by some of the cabins being called 'Fantastica Suites' on the deck plans and others 'Fantastica Balcony' :confused: I have one of them (fantastica suite) booked and have 'MyCoice' advised on the invoice from my TA. She tends to use the old cabin references and refers to it as S2 suite/balcony.

Even the way the prices show on the website is a liitle confusing. For Opera they have Balcony: Bella, Fantastica & Aurea. For Sinfonia & Armonia they price them differently Balcony: Fantastica (only), then under the heading "Aurea Suite Balcony": Fantastica & Aurea ????

Edited by Beamafar

After exhausting all possibilities (having booked 3 different type balcony cabins on Sinfonia) I reckon it comes down to whether there's a sofa in the cabin or not - I'm talking about Lirica class here! If there is, it possibly indicates that your level of cabin has MyChoice dining included.

Edited by Beamafar