Okay to bring? Toddler/Kid Items...

LissyTx

Hello! We will be traveling on the Fantasy soon with our almost 3 year old. A few questions about things and whether A) they are okay to bring and B) have you found anything better?

1) Folding Wagon vs. Lightweight/Small Stroller

So something to carry/push my daughter in is a must as at not quite 3 it is often that she'll get tired and ask to be carried.

Our current lightweight stroller:

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/chicco-reg-liteway-trade-stroller-in-almond-beige-grey/1045836411?Keyword=chico+stroller

This worked well last time around the ship (when she was 11 months old) but, it is awful on sand.

WE have this folding wagon and my DH was wondering if it might be better to give us more carrying space... but I don't know how practical it is ON the ship...

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Sports-Collapsible-Folding-Outdoor/dp/B0079P1KH6/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

2) A lightweight beach tent... don't laugh

So, I burn really easily. (Whatever I love cruises and refuse to give them up.) Pair this with a daughter who asks us to go to the beach weekly. Sometimes umbrellas are hard to come by, sometimes not, sometimes they cost $$$... So, I was wondering if A) the ship allows us to bring this on - fairly compact when folded up. B) Has anyone used one, did you like it? Amazon reviews are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQQRTSM/ref=pd_luc_rh_bxgy_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3) Last one - Life Vest

This is Coast Guard approved. Are we allowed to use it on her in the ship pool? At the beach? If not at Castaway Cay, I think it'd be useful on the islands we are going to.

https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Deluxe-Elephant/dp/B004Q6O3ZW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473661785&sr=8-5&keywords=life+vest+for+toddler

Thank you for any insights!

Edited by LissyTx

Unfortunately wagons are on the prohibited list. Here is a link to it: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats, pool noodles, inflatable pools and wagons

There is nothing in the prohibited list about pop up tents so presumably it is allowed for use off the ship.

I'm not sure where you could set it up and how you would lash it down on Castaway though.

Yes you can bring your own Coast Guard approved life jacket for your daughter.

The ship does provide complementary life vests for use in the pools and on Castaway, so you may wish to bring your own for use on the islands.

Just to reiterate that only toilet trained children are allowed in the pools, and swim diapers are not allowed to be used in the pools.

Children not toilet trained can use of the splash zones with a swim diaper.

ex techie

They have complimentary wagons on Castaway. First come first served.

Edited by Ex techie
Edit to add

For use on the ship, I'd suggest a small umbrella stroller. It folds up easily to store in your cabin, under a bed or whatever. If you want a big stroller for excursions, they are available to borrow from GS, first come, first served (but they have hundreds). A big stroller will just get in the way in the cabin.

Wagons are available at Castaway as you get off the ship.

There is no prohibition I've ever seen about tents. Be sure it doesn't interfere with your fellow cruisers or that could be an issue.

You are restricted in the use of to use floats, etc. in the pools. There is a rack of various sizes of life vests available at no charge both by the pool and at CC. No need to drag your own on top of all the other stuff you'll need.

Unfortunately wagons are on the prohibited list. Here is a link to it: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

There is nothing in the prohibited list about pop up tents so presumably it is allowed for use off the ship.

I'm not sure where you could set it up and how you would lash it down on Castaway though.

Yes you can bring your own Coast Guard approved life jacket for your daughter.

The ship does provide complementary life vests for use in the pools and on Castaway, so you may wish to bring your own for use on the islands.

Just to reiterate that only toilet trained children are allowed in the pools, and swim diapers are not allowed to be used in the pools.

Children not toilet trained can use of the splash zones with a swim diaper.

ex techie

They have complimentary wagons on Castaway. First come first served.

Thank you Ex Techie!

We will try to be first off at CC. Or suck it up and carry her. [emoji6]

Good news is she is toilet trained. I kind of think swim diapers are a joke. I don't really think they contain much. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For use on the ship' date=' I'd suggest a small umbrella stroller. It folds up easily to store in your cabin, under a bed or whatever. If you want a big stroller for excursions, they are available to borrow from GS, first come, first served (but they have hundreds). A big stroller will just get in the way in the cabin.

Wagons are available at Castaway as you get off the ship.

There is no prohibition I've ever seen about tents. Be sure it doesn't interfere with your fellow cruisers or that could be an issue.

You are restricted in the use of to use floats, etc. in the pools. There is a rack of various sizes of life vests available at no charge both by the pool and at CC. No need to drag your own on top of all the other stuff you'll need.[/quote']

Thank you Moki's Mommy.

I had no idea about the large strollers good to know!

We will be at WDW Magic Kingdom for 2 days before the cruise. I'm hoping our umbrella stroller is enough for there.

Yes we will definitely be mindful of others on the beach if we take the tent.

There are LOTS of wagons on CC, but not nearly as many as there are kids. One consideration--if you get a wagon on CC, you'll need to take the walkway to the beach. If you don't have the wagon, you have the option of using the tram.

Swim diapers are not permitted in any of the pools on the ships (USPH regulations). So, being toilet trained means that she can use the pools rather than just the splash areas. Of course she is welcome in the splash areas also.

Edited by moki'smommy

If you don't mind carrying her on the ship, a fullsized stroller would be better to have for off the ship and at WDW. For our 2 Dream cruises we took our Bob and carried the little ones on the ship or used the Bob. It will fit under the bed if you take the back tires off.

We have used more of the umbrella style beach shelters and find they work good enough and are usually much smaller/lighter.

Given that the life vest you linked to does not look like a norm vest but similar to floaties, the life guards might be bugging you about them.

If you don't mind carrying her on the ship, a fullsized stroller would be better to have for off the ship and at WDW. For our 2 Dream cruises we took our Bob and carried the little ones on the ship or used the Bob. It will fit under the bed if you take the back tires off.

We have used more of the umbrella style beach shelters and find they work good enough and are usually much smaller/lighter.

Given that the life vest you linked to does not look like a norm vest but similar to floaties, the life guards might be bugging you about them.

That vest does specify "US Coast Guard-approved when worn on boats", so I was going to agree with you. But it also says "Learn-to-swim aid for beginners in the water", so it should be fine.

DCL used to specify that Coast Guard approved flotation devices were permitted, but that wordage has disappeared from the prohibited list.

I wanted to mention that I saw a discussion recently that children now need to be potty trained AND 3 for the pools. I'll look around when I get a chance tonight and see if I can find more info.

Interesting concept--wonder how they are enforcing that. I doubt that they have a CM designated to check KTTW before kid can get into the pool. Anything else is up to the honesty of the parent, just like the "potty trained" thing is. We all know how that works, with multiple pool closings on each cruise due to a "biological."

I don't know about other parents but I would be mortified if my kid had an accident in the pool.

She has never peed or pooped in the bath (we'd know because we dye the water blue haha) and now typically has an accident once a month when she's sleeping.

So I feel like she's at a "safe stage" or whatever you want to call it to swim in the pool. However I'm still debating it as we hate to be the cause of a biological.

Candidly though I bet half the 4-5 year olds pee in the pool even though they're potty trained just because they can and are too lazy to get out. [emoji16]

It isn't urine that results in closing the pool......

And as any parent knows, one way to decrease the chances of an accident is to insist the child hit the bathroom before they are allowed to go in the pool (or go to the OC or any other desired activity.) No, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of an accident but it does reduce the chances.

Ok, found the rule about being 3 in the pools. You can see it here: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-activities/pool-restrictions/

Another board I frequent had a discussion about it and it was decided that the wording was new. Everyone is right though as I'm not sure if it will be enforced, but just thought you may want to be prepared. Cruising on Monday with our 3 year old so I will be curious if she is ever checked.

Techie is correct. After you hand over your bags, they are x-rayed If any items that look suspiciously like those on the prohibited list are discovered they are removed before boarding and kept at the terminal where you can reclaim the after the cruise. There is a notice put in the bag.

On some other lines you are called to the "naughty room" to open your bags for inspection.

But...I'll try to assume that what the poster really meant was that you can bring any stroller you wish as long as you store it in your room and that the point was that you can't keep your "stuff" in the hall. Fortunately, DCL has become more strict about this. A few years ago the halls were sometimes major obstacle courses.