Ocean Cay Opening Delayed Until October 2018

Mikesa1721

Ocean Cay, a new cruise port in the Bahamas under development by MSC Cruises, will now open in October 2018, 10 months later than originally scheduled.

The cruise line purchased the 85 acre island in the Bahamas and is in the process of transforming it into the only marine reserve island experience for cruise passengers. The island will also have a dock so there will be no need for tendering.

MSC Cruises said the reason for the new opening date for Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve was to ensure the level of quality and attention to detail that guests have come to expect from the cruise line. Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman of MSC Cruises, gave the following statement:

“As we sat out to finalize construction plans for this one-of-a-kind destination, we realized that to ensure the level of quality and attention to details in both infrastructure and services that our guests have rightfully come to expect from MSC Cruises, it was only appropriate to allot a longer time frame. In fact, while working on the final project, it was hard not to further enrich this unique beach destination with new and additional unique services for our guests. This naturally called for more time than originally planned.”

Work is officially underway on Ocean Cay with a ground breaking ceremony scheduled to be held on October 6, 2016. In attendance will be the Prime Minister of the Bahamas, Right Honourable Perry G. Christie, and other high dignitaries from the country’s government.

http://cruisefever.net/0914-opening-new-bahamian-cruise-port-pushed-back-2018/

Once again more BS from Vago! the December 23rd Itinerary is/was Nassau, St Thomas and Ocean Cay, how the hell can Nassau be a replacement when it was already there ? Vago you better find another stop to replace Ocean Cay.

This smacks of Divina going into Miami a day earlier than planned which has left a very sour taste in many peoples mouth`s including our and now you are at it again .... :mad:

I'm disappointed, too. We are trying MSC for the first time in March, 2018 and were really looking forward to the private island. No desire to go to Nassau (been there, done that). Same thing happened to me last month on NCL. We were suppose to go to NCL's new private "island", Harvest Caye, but that was delayed as well.

Ugh...this is sooooo disappointing!!!! I too, will be changing my date or cancelling. Nassau??? YUCK. One of the reasons I was so excited for this cruise was because of the private island. VERY disappointed:mad::mad::mad: and who knows if it will even be ready in October of 2018??? I will probably just cancel.

Edited by champagne123
ssss

I've also posted this through my e-mail on the interior update forum, not realizing at the time this forum existed. If they don't come up with an acceptable substitute I will definitely cancel and go elsewhere even though I was looking forward to the Seaside and the YC. The island was a big reason for this cruise. I booked for May, 2018, figuring enough time for delays, but not a year. Big disappointment!!. I think that MSC still doesn't get it about customer service.

I'm willing to accept a stop at the half finished private island over Nassau. Give me a clean, sandy beach to hang out on with some cold beer and a bbq serving burgers and I'll be a happy guy. I'll even accept tendering to the island if the pier isn't able to handle the ship.

Edited by calgaryhhr

I hope they find a better substitute than Nassau, even Key West would be an improvement. I haven't booked my Summer 2018 cruise yet on the Seaside, but I don't think this news will deter me. I still loved the MSC product and will be keeping my plan to book Seaside for a June 2018 cruise.

This is certainly disappointing. The private island stop was a big reason why I booked an MSC cruise for Feb 2018 in the new Seaside. I'm not interested in going to Nassau again. I'm going to have to seriously reconsider our reservation now.
Unreal......was so looking forward to trying the Yacht Club in an inside cabin. Unless they can let me switch the date and guarantee me the same rate and promotion I received it looks like their bait and switch mentality will have lost a customer. I wanted to get a taste of the good life at a reasonable price. :mad: I cruise for the ships these days and Ocean Cay was the deciding factor that caused me to pull the trigger to begin with. A private island with an amphitheater and a designated area for YC.

Very disappointed...

Since our cruise already stops in Nassau, I wonder what the replacement will be...

Cruise ships that were scheduled to stop at Ocean Cay (MSC Seaside, MSC Divina) will now call on Nassau as a replacement until the island is completed. For itineraries that already have Nassau as a scheduled stop, a different port will be added to replace Ocean Cay.

I agree that the delay is disappointing, however, it's disappointing for MSC as well. Delays usually cost more money whether they're due to red tape, lack of qualified tradespeople or equipment, whatever the cause it hurts.

Our last cruise was on NCL Star around the British Isles followed by the TA to Tampa. We considered adding the first Caribbean cruise too so that we'd be the first to see the brand new Harvest Caye (NCL's 2nd private island). It was scheduled to open Oct 19th, 2015.... it still hasn't opened due to government involvement and red tape causing delays and it is now to open early November, 2016.

Sure glad we decided not to book that additional cruise... :p

Ocean Cay, a new cruise port in the Bahamas under development by MSC Cruises, will now open in October 2018, 10 months later than originally scheduled.

The cruise line purchased the 85 acre island in the Bahamas and is in the process of transforming it into the only marine reserve island experience for cruise passengers. The island will also have a dock so there will be no need for tendering.

MSC Cruises said the reason for the new opening date for Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve was to ensure the level of quality and attention to detail that guests have come to expect from the cruise line. Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman of MSC Cruises, gave the following statement:

“As we sat out to finalize construction plans for this one-of-a-kind destination, we realized that to ensure the level of quality and attention to details in both infrastructure and services that our guests have rightfully come to expect from MSC Cruises, it was only appropriate to allot a longer time frame. In fact, while working on the final project, it was hard not to further enrich this unique beach destination with new and additional unique services for our guests. This naturally called for more time than originally planned.”

Work is officially underway on Ocean Cay with a ground breaking ceremony scheduled to be held on October 6, 2016. In attendance will be the Prime Minister of the Bahamas, Right Honourable Perry G. Christie, and other high dignitaries from the country’s government.

http://cruisefever.net/0914-opening-new-bahamian-cruise-port-pushed-back-2018/

No news for me. I would be surprised if it would build on time :rolleyes: nothing and I mean nothing was or will be build on time on Bahamas or Caribbeans.

Given the speed with which other projects progress in the Bahamas I am not surprised at all and NEVER thought they'd make the original timeline.

That said, I want to book this ship for Q4 2018 and hope they are up and running by then.