Question / Grandson Handicapped

trishb13

Hi All,

My grandson broke his femur bone on Sunday and had to have surgery. We are scheduled to go on Disney Dream on Sept. 30th for 3 days. He is currently in wheel chair and using a walker. Dr. said he didn't see any reason why medically he couldn't still go. He is not in a cast and his stitches will be removed on Sept. 26 when at that time he will be able to get his leg wet. Has anyone been on cruise with a child who will be medically challenged in wheel chair? It is his birthday cruise and he so wants to go. My daughter has the protection plan and can certainly rescheduled the cruise because of a medical issue but his cousins are going and he was so excited to be going. Please give me any information that you may know to help with making the decision to still go on this cruise. Thank you

Hi All,

My grandson broke his femur bone on Sunday and had to have surgery. We are scheduled to go on Disney Dream on Sept. 30th for 3 days. He is currently in wheel chair and using a walker. Dr. said he didn't see any reason why medically he couldn't still go. He is not in a cast and his stitches will be removed on Sept. 26 when at that time he will be able to get his leg wet. Has anyone been on cruise with a child who will be medically challenged in wheel chair? It is his birthday cruise and he so wants to go. My daughter has the protection plan and can certainly rescheduled the cruise because of a medical issue but his cousins are going and he was so excited to be going. Please give me any information that you may know to help with making the decision to still go on this cruise. Thank you

Call DCL or your travel agent and see if there's an accessible cabin available. I can see that standing for any length of time in the shower (or even lifting his leg up over the tub) might still be a challenge for him. Plus this way he'll be able to take the wheelchair/walker into the bathroom with him.

Sorry to hear about your grandson's injury.

I would call DCL or TA to try to get a HA cabin immediately. IMO.

Also, don't even think about that kid getting in the cesspools aboard. Filled with bacteria.

You need to keep this wound dry and clean / cleaned often aboard.

Especially on a three day sailing.

JMO

You all can still have a blast and enjoy your sailing.

Does the grandson have good insurance, just in case, a passport too perhaps?

TIA

Edited by bear3412

I have a daughter with a progressive disability (meaning it is going to continue to worsen over time.) That said, each disability issue is different.

Yes, if the young man is in a wheelchair, call your TA immediately and see whether there is an HA cabin that you can be moved into. You may have to be very insistent--when my daughter's situation suddenly worsened placing her in a chair full time, we basically had to demand that the non-handicapped guests who had been placed in the HA cabin as a *GT needed to be moved. DCL DID finally swap our cabin with theirs, after telling us that it couldn't be done (not bad for them either--they got an upgrade). We were in the same position as you--we flat out told DCL that we either got the HA cabin or we would invoke our insurance and cancel the cruise.

The HA will allow him to wheel into the bathroom for both the toilet and the shower; there is a built in shower chair and plenty of grab bars everywhere. There will also be a wheelchair ramp to the balcony if you are in a balcony cabin.

THe bigger question in my mind is whether he will participate in various activities and whether he can be trusted to follow his medical instructions if he participates in the kid programming. He can still have fun with "just family," but will probably want to do some of the programming stuff with the cousins. Yes, mom can make his limitations noted on his registration, but the CMs can't watch him every second. If he can not be trusted to follow the doc's rules when there is no adult looking, then he can't be away from the adults.

Agree--don't go anywhere near the pools!

You don't tell us how old he is--this could make a difference. But this is a very short cruise and he can have a blast despite the chair.

I can give you a whole litany of how to do airports/planes, etc. with walker and/or wheelchair, your rights on the plane, etc. if any of that is an issue. Basically, the mobility equipment flies as luggage at no charge. The child is entitled to one checked bag at no charge in addition to any free baggage the airline gives PROVIDED THAT IT CONTAINS ONLY MEDICAL EQUIPMENt. The airline does have the right to inspect the content and charge if there is anything non-medical in it. The problem with this is that the medical stuff is the stuff that cannot be checked because you can't risk it getting lost. He is also entitled to one additional carry on bag containing medical stuff--this can be helpful as we typically pack it with her braces and her meds. Again, the stuff that you can't risk getting lost.

Thoughts....

• how big is this wheelchair? Is it elongated where the leg is lifted up? Is the wheelchair motorized and heavy? Is it collapsible? The bigger the chair, the harder it is to store and navigate around the room.
  • I have travelled with a small transport wheelchair with a regular room. The wheelchair rider needs to walk the 15 feet from the room entrance, past the bathrooms to get to the bed. Then the transport chair can be collapsed to fit through the entranceway. If the wheelchair rider cannot get out of the chair..... look for an accessible room.
  • Going to the bathroom and showering may be a challenge as it's very tight in a regular room. I don't think there's much space with a walker or crutches.

They said he could use a walker, too...so a HC cabin won't be a "must"...he can get out of the chair!!!

The bathroom in the HA cabin might be essential. He might need the shower chair or be unable to use the shower that is inside the tub. Or the grab bars around the toilet can be a necessity.

My adult daughter uses a combination of braces, rollator, and wheelchair...but the bathroom portion of the HA on DCL is an absolute necessity. All those things that make the DCL bathrooms nice for parents make them impossible for her.

What a bunch of crepe hangers. I have been in a wheelchair for years and have traveled the world including over 40 cruises, 3 of which were Disney. Leaving on one Oct. 6. He'll do fine with or without the accessible cabin. I have never had one. I have a collapsible wheelchair delivered to my cabin and off we go. Go on the cruise. I have to say that no matter what happened with me, I would never DEMAND that someone else give me a cabin they had already booked. Seems a bit nervy to me. I figure my problems are MY problems, not someone else's.

Edited by GrandmaHofmann

What a bunch of crepe hangers. I have been in a wheelchair for years and have traveled the world including over 40 cruises, 3 of which were Disney. Leaving on one Oct. 6. He'll do fine with or without the accessible cabin. I have never had one. I have a collapsible wheelchair delivered to my cabin and off we go. Go on the cruise. I have to say that no matter what happened with me, I would never DEMAND that someone else give me a cabin they had already booked. Seems a bit nervy to me. I figure my problems are MY problems, not someone else's.

I'm glad that your situation is such that you are able to travel regardless of what cabin is available to you. One thing I have learned is that each person is different. For instance, some people need the fold down bars by the toilet while those with better upper body strength sometimes find that they are in the way and fold them up and out of the way. My adult daughter is unable to shower or bathe without a walk in shower with bars and a shower chair. She is unable to lift her leg over the tub to step into a shower that is built into a tub.

DCL has a written policy that says that if someone without a medical reason is booked into an accessible cabin, they will be moved should someone who needs such a cabin wishes to book it. I don't see that as nervy; I see that as enabling my daughter to cruise. The person who wants the big cabin to store his scuba gear seems out of line to me, but at least if he is honest, DCL can move him. We were waitlisted for 16 months for an accessible cabin on a DCL cruise; it didn't come thru, so we canceled the cruise a couple days before the penalty date. On at least 3 other cruises, we didn't book because there was no HA cabin available. We've also learned that a phone call to the cruise line will often result in availability that doesn't show up on line.

I certainly cannot (and would never think of) demanding a cabin that another person had a medical need to occupy. There is no ranking for disabilities! But there are very few of these cabins on any ship of any cruise line, and there is a reason for the policies that those lines have in place.

I'm certain that this young man will be just fine on his cruise. His situation is temporary and improving. But that's not a reason to not meet the needs that he has at the time of the cruise.

Again, I'm very glad that you are able to function in a standard cabin. That's not possible for everyone.

Thank you for all of your input and information. He is not in a cast but can't put any weight on the leg for 8-12 weeks, that being said he will definitely will need to use a walker or wheel chair during the cruise. I did call DCL but they didn't seem to suggest any reason to change his room to Handicap Accessible.

They said they would put in for him to have a shower chair to put in the tub. Should I call and insist on to be moved? He is only 6 years old so his chair is small for a child of his age.

Edited by trishb13

Thank you for all of your input and information. He is not in a cast but can't put any weight on the leg for 8-12 weeks, that being said he will definitely will need to use a walker or wheel chair during the cruise. I did call DCL but they didn't seem to suggest any reason to change his room to Handicap Accessible.

They said they would put in for him to have a shower chair to put in the tub. Should I call and insist on to be moved? He is only 6 years old so his chair is small for a child of his age.

It honestly depends on his needs and the abilities of his parents or other helpers. Can mom or dad lift him into the shower chair? If so, maybe he doesn't need a walk in shower. And it is only a 3 night cruise--a good clean up at the sink might be OK for that time. Will he sit in the wheelchair at meals or transfer to a regular dining chair? Will dad just lift him to the regular chair or will he need a seat on an aisle to allow room for the wheelchair and the transfer? If his caregivers are 60 year old grandparents, they may or may not be able to lift him.

Unless he has an HA room, there will be a small bump between the bathroom and the cabin. That might present a problem for him to jump the wheelchair over...or it might not.

Unless he is planning to hop on one foot with a walker, a walker does involve placing weight on the leg. Not sure how that can work if no weight bearing is allowed.

My guess is that a small 6 year old can be lifted over many of the barriers that might confront a full sized adult. It is your choice how to best meet his needs and those of his caregivers. But if you feel you need the HA room, that is your call and not a DCL CMs. Be aware that with the HA bathroom, you will lose the "split bath" feature. You lose the center drawer of the desk, meaning that the stuff that is normally in that drawer is now on top of the desk.

None of us can tell you how to meet his needs. How does he shower at home? How does he manage the toilet? He'll do it the same way on the ship.

LOL, you made me look up "crepe hangers".

I would get moved the a HA room.

The door/entrance into the room base the bathroom and closets is very narrow and would require 2 people to get him in/out of the room. 1 to hold the door the other to lift the wheels over the threshold into the room. The door auto closing system is very strong and would not take the chance that the door would swing shut on his leg.

You will also have to lift him into the tub BUT since the split bathrooms as so small, you will have to carry him from the bed to the tub. Also, I don't think you will be able to get the wheelchair around the queen bed to the bunk beds.

DCL might give you grief, but it will be in your best interest to have the space needed for your family to enjoy the vacation. Most likely, DCL will have to move the GTY HA booked people BUT if they are not handicap, they booked the room knowing that they can and will get bumped. But they will also get the same room category our better. So being bumped might get them a better room anyways.

I have a 6 year old and would not do the trip without a HA room if he had a broken leg.

I don't know why I feel the need to point this out but your title stuck out to me. Thankfully your grandson is INJURED not HANDICAPPED.

Plenty of people enjoy a Disney cruise everyday using their wheelchair.

So....

An injury resulting in temporary incapacitation of full mobility does not count as being handicapped, albeit a temporary handicap?

What about someone with a condition that means that on a day to day basis their mobility and capacity can change from needing a wheelchair or require the use of assisted accommodation to being able to use regular facilities?

ex techie

You know, I wondered about the use of the term "handicapped" as well, but decided that we were talking with a worried and concerned grandmother and let it go. But I clearly understand where Barb is coming from as we are both mothers of young adults who have significant mobility impairments which will be lifelong and likely worsen over time.

The child with the broken leg is indeed injured and can be expected to recover completely. On the other hand, my state issues "temporary" HA parking hang tags that are good for 90 days to cover situations of injuries or surgery where mobility is impaired. My feeling was that a grandmother trying to figure out the best way to deal with the situation was more important than a spitting match over use of words.

Please, let's deal with the child's situation with kindness and not make the grandmother feel unwelcome here.

You're right and I was being a little too snippy in my response after a long day. I read the title and hopped in to help and then was knee jerk offended by whether or not a cruise could be enjoyed if the child was using a wheelchair or walker. As we both know, it's certainly not the worse thing in the world and a great cruise can be had from a chair. I wouldn't cancel. Sure, it will be harder than if he were ambulatory but its more than doable and he may find activities he enjoys that he wouldn't have taken the time for if his leg was not broken.

Thank you for all of your thoughts on this. I was just worried about my grandson being on the cruise and I certainly didn't mean to cause any issues with my questions. I really just had concerns. I always know I can come to Cruise Critic and find a lot of good information regarding cruise questions.

The appropriation and personal protection of the title of being handicapped is shocking to me, as it discriminates against someone with a temporary disability.

I thought the idea of cultural appropriation was ridiculous, and now this.

Wow.

ex techie

I think the ill-conceived remarks were recognized and corrected. Nothing to see here. Move along people.

Ex Techie-- I have apologized. I have no wish to argue with anyone. I had a REALLY long day fighting for my sons needs and took the original post the wrong way. It shocks me every time but it's true--I am not perfect.

Have a great day.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom