DCL First Timer Questions

paulmlac

We are sailing on the Dream departing on 9/26. We've done RC twice before. But we are DCL first timers. So we have a few questions…

1) I'm not sure how many electrical outlets are in the cabin. Does it make sense to bring a plug converter (the kind of thing you plug into an outlet & it adds extra plugs)? I heard RC now confiscates them, at least on some ships.

2) We already downloaded the Disney Cruise Line Navigator apps on all our phones, primarily for the texting feature. I'm guessing we will need to connect to ship WiFi for it to work. Does this also basically obligate you to sign us up for a data plan (i.e., where apps, e-mail, Facebook, etc all work & use data)?

3) What kind of cups / lids are supplied at the soda stations? Trying to figure out if it's good to bring refillable cups with lids / straws (the kind you buy for the season at an amusement park). Would do this if, for example, the cups there are the 5 oz Dixie cup variety.

4) What would most people wear at dinner for the dressy night?

• Suit with tie
  • Sport coat / button down / dress slacks / no tie
  • Button down / khakis
  • Polo shirt / khakis

I get dressed up for work everyday, this is vacation, hoping it's the polo / khakis - but don't want to be in the minority.

5) For dinner, on the more casual nights, are most people dressed in?

• Button down / khakis
  • Polo shirt / khakis
  • Polo shirt / dressy shorts

6) On Castaway Cay, we rented floats. We also might want to rent snorkel equipment & bikes but aren't sure. Are they generally available on the Cay or should we reserve them in advance? If it matters, it looks like our cruise might be full. It wasn't showing as available a few weeks ago (but haven't checked lately).

We may have a few more questions over the next week but thanks in advance for the help on this first round!

Edited by paulmlac

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

To answer your questions:

1) Yes they are strictly prohibited on all DCL ships. In fact DCL were one of the first to prohibit them.

2) No obligation to sign up for a wifi package. The app connects to the ships wifi, and operates free of charge. They often offer a 50MB free package is you sign up for it on embarkation day though, that may be useful to you. No obligation to extend that though either!

3) They are small cups. However you can bring your own and use them with the proviso that you use a new fresh DCL cup to fill your own cup up. Your cup must not touch the spout or lever on the machine due to the transfer of germs.

They provide lids and straws if you use theirs.

4/5) Too open to suggestion or personal preference to answer without a long convoluted pro's and con's following discussion/argument.

6) You can rent snorkel equipment and bikes on the day if you wish without reservation or need for reservations.

Ask away! But in the interim, I would strongly suggest you read the Tip Thread sticky at the top of the page for hints and tricks, and also visit the DCL FAQ page for a lot of information that may help you or answer any routine questions!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

regarding your 'how to dress for dinner' question:

as i've written numerous times on this board, my husband, son and son in law all wear khakis and polo shirts to dinner every single night of the cruise - whether it's formal night or not (and by the way, the Dream does not have formal night anyway).

and they were not alone - many men wear khakis and polo shirts for exactly the reason you cite - they're on vacation and they'll be damned if they have to put on a suit or even a jacket.

but on disney, there is no dress code (other than no swim suit etc - obviously)..

but khakis and polo shirts are very much acceptable to all meals...

with one exception - if you go to palo or remy

but you weren't asking about that :)

Edited by alaska_planner

You got the correct answers:

Surge protectors are strictly prohibited. Multi plug things with no surge protector feature can usually be used. If confiscated, you'll get it back when you return to port at the "Lost and Found" table in the terminal. To techie's post, definitely one behind the TV.

The app does not require a wifi plan. However, on day 1 you can sign up for a FREE 50mb plan to allow you to try the wifi. This is only free up to midnight on embarkation day. 50mb is more than my daughter uses on a short cruise, allowing e-mail and basic communication for days. Obviously if you stream video or fail to turn off data hogging apps, you'll burn thru it quickly.

The cups provided are 10 oz. cups with lids and straws (same cups as in the parks.) As noted, you can bring a large tumbler or mug but you must fill the small cups from the spouts and pour the drink into your larger cup. The idea is a clean cup each time to prevent bacteria and viruses from spreading.

Basically, there is no enforced dress code other than in the "adult only" restaurants. MOST people look decent--a polo shirt and khaki look. However, you will see people who wear cut off shorts with holes in them and a "barely there" top. The bottom line is that you can wear what you want. The shorter the cruise, the fewer people who are "dressed up."

Normal nights are really no different than dress up night on the Dream.

You can rent bikes and snorkel equipment on Castaway Cay. It takes a few minutes longer to have them swipe your KTTW card vs. handing them the voucher coupon. Early in the day there are two lines--one for pre-reserved, one for on the fly. That lasts maybe the first hour, and after that there is no difference. They won't run out of equipment. IF you need a particular type of bike (like 20" with training wheels), don't wait till the end of the day. They won't run out of bikes, but you sometimes have to wait a few minutes for a particular model.

1) I'm not sure how many electrical outlets are in the cabin. Does it make sense to bring a plug converter (the kind of thing you plug into an outlet & it adds extra plugs)? I heard RC now confiscates them, at least on some ships.

Yep you can't bring them unfortunately. There are quite a few I found but I travel solo so never had problems.

2) We already downloaded the Disney Cruise Line Navigator apps on all our phones, primarily for the texting feature. I'm guessing we will need to connect to ship WiFi for it to work. Does this also basically obligate you to sign us up for a data plan (i.e., where apps, e-mail, Facebook, etc all work & use data)?

Not at all. I used the app without any data. I didn't use the texting feature but believe it too doesn't require a data plan (I used it for menus). It connects to the wifi but to a free service rather than the data package ones and there is no need to sign up to that unless you are going to use it.

3) What kind of cups / lids are supplied at the soda stations? Trying to figure out if it's good to bring refillable cups with lids / straws (the kind you buy for the season at an amusement park). Would do this if, for example, the cups there are the 5 oz Dixie cup variety.

Its these. I always bring one but remember to use the smaller cups to fill your own cup. They are strict on hygiene hence they have the small plastic lid versions. As long as you use them to fill your own cup/bottles then that's fine.

4) What would most people wear at dinner for the dressy night?

• Suit with tie
  • Sport coat / button down / dress slacks / no tie
  • Button down / khakis
  • Polo shirt / khakis

I get dressed up for work everyday, this is vacation, hoping it's the polo / khakis - but don't want to be in the minority.

5) For dinner, on the more casual nights, are most people dressed in?

• Button down / khakis
  • Polo shirt / khakis
  • Polo shirt / dressy shorts

It tends to be a mix of some people dressing up and some not so polo/shirt and khakis would be fine for most nights. Formal night you will see more suits or at least shirt and ties. And also if you do Palo then you need a jacket.

6) On Castaway Cay, we rented floats. We also might want to rent snorkel equipment & bikes but aren't sure. Are they generally available on the Cay or should we reserve them in advance? If it matters, it looks like our cruise might be full. It wasn't showing as available a few weeks ago (but haven't checked lately).

They do have quite a few but not sure if they aren't showing if that means they are sold out

Hi paulmlac – we’re on the same cruise!

I’ve never been on DCL before but I’m a bit of an over planner. I like to over plan ahead and then go with the flow during. Anyway…

1) What Ex techie said above. But note that one of the two outlets at the desk is used for the wave phones docking charger. I assume that won't need to be plugged in 24/7 but will need to be planned around the phones charging. Also – there is one more outlet at the desk but specifically for the room hair dryer.

4/5) I’ve seen recent Navigators from the Dream following our same itinerary. The dress nights are: Mon - Cruise Casual / Tue – Nassau -> Halloween or Cruise Casual / Wed – Castaway Cay -> Pirate or Cruise Casual / Thur – Day at Sea = Optional Dress Up

I’ll be kaki or jeans with a camp shirt most nights. Going to wear a dress shirt for dress up night. No tie or jacket here. The kid is definitely wearing a costume on Halloween night… us parents are leaning towards something simple just to be in the spirit. For pirate night I’m just wearing a black camp shirt and will use the bandana DCL will leave in the stateroom.

Couple more things about outlets:

I "believe" that the plugs that provide multiple USB charging ports from a single outlet (with no surge protector or ground) are permitted. We were told this and brought one and left it in plain sight all week and weren't told not to use it. It was a lifesaver to recharge so many phones, etc. each night.

Also, if I remember correctly, there is no outlet in the bathroom. This surprised us as we brought a plug-in nightlight for the bathroom, and then had no where to put it. Lucky for us, the Skyline bar sells mixed drinks that happen to have light-up plastic ice cubes in them. Problem solved!

Anchors is right on both points. There is an outlet in the bathroom but it is labeled "shavers only" and won't charge your phone.

There is no need to have the wave phone charger plugged in 24/7. Once fully charged, they hold a charge for several days, and commonly your stateroom host will have plugged them in so they are charging during the "changeover."

We decide what needs overnight charging...and charge the other things while in the shower, hanging out in the room, or whatever.

We are sailing on the Dream departing on 9/26. We've done RC twice before. But we are DCL first timers. So we have a few questions…

I wonder if it's too much hair-splitting but DCL specifically prohibits "Extension cords or surge protectors". They prohibit surge protectors because the surge protection (actually spike protection) circuitry may cause fires and cords can have fraying problems. They don't specifically ban splitters or converters that plug directly into the wall which would be compliant with the word and intent of their rules.

Has anyone ever had any type of electrical device confiscated?

Edited by Host Mick

For charging multiple phones/ tablets/ ect

We have taken the Anker 6 port charger like this one on the last trip and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Compatible-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B017JT6846/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1474318690&sr=8-12&keywords=anker+charger

There is enough outlets that you don't need any type of spliter/ surge protector.

OP here. Thanks to all for the info. It's very helpful as we continue to plan the last minute details.

We are definitely not planning to bring an outlet strip. I'm talking about something that is about 1 square inch. You plug it in and there are three plugs around various sides of it. I may bring it with me and ask the cabin attendant if it's ok.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UE7SC8/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474335008&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=plugsplitter

Bitterbuffalo - Hope you, too, have a great cruise. Also that TS Karl stays out in open water. I'm sure your planning is going to pay off. We booked this kind of late in early to mid August so are throwing a lot together quickly. Probably won't actually run into you but I will say hello if I'm talking to anyone who says they posted on Cruise Critic last week!

Edited by paulmlac

OP here. Thanks to all for the info. It's very helpful as we continue to plan the last minute details.

We are definitely not planning to bring an outlet strip. I'm talking about something that is about 1 square inch. You plug it in and there are three plugs around various sides of it. I may bring it with me and ask the cabin attendant if it's ok.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UE7SC8/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474335008&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=plugsplitter

The Amazon tap you linked to would be fine. The only down side is the plug sockets on the desk are very close together so you would only be able to use one there as it would block the other.

You could use it on the plugs on either side of the bed without an issue.

ex techie

So there's 3 of us (me, BITTERBUFFALO, & GRILGAR) on the same cruise.

Here's hoping for some decent weather. The long range weather forecast for Nassau is calling for solid rain. Perhaps it's like Florida where it just rains a little bit each afternoon.

OP with another question -

How much cash do people generally bring on a cruise (maybe X amount per day)? I get that it's cashless & all on your account. But I'm old enough to always want to have some cash too (and there's no ATM's on board). Our only two stops are Nassau & Castaway Cay.

For charging multiple phones/ tablets/ ect

We have taken the Anker 6 port charger like this one on the last trip and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Compatible-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B017JT6846/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1474318690&sr=8-12&keywords=anker+charger

There is enough outlets that you don't need any type of spliter/ surge protector.

This is what we use. We've never had a problem with it. We use it in hotels as well.

How much cash do people generally bring on a cruise (maybe X amount per day)? I get that it's cashless & all on your account. But I'm old enough to always want to have some cash too (and there's no ATM's on board). Our only two stops are Nassau & Castaway Cay.

Really your choice. What you need cash for: tipping porters at terminal (if you use them on the way home, not needed if using DCL transportation on the way to terminal but needed with all other forms of transportation, tips for room service, and you might choose to tip in cash or add extra cash to the envelope with coupon. Nassau--what will you do? I'd stay on the ship and not need any cash. Castaway Cay--you're on KTTW except at the post office and the tiny place where Bahamians can sell their stuff (if that is still open....I haven't been near it in ages)

That leaves you with airport /in transit snacks, tip for towncar driver if that is your transportation mode.....I usually bring $100 and that is more than sufficient. IF you plan to spend money in ports, bring small bills--they will often play the game that they have no change. That's $100 for a 7 night cruise with 2 people, not per night.

Edited by moki'smommy

There's four of us. In Nassau, we are doing the Atlantis shallow water dolphin and discover Atlantis. I understand Atlantis is cashless too. We were thinking more like $100 per day just to be safe (since there's no backup atm's) so your thoughts are helpful

Edited by paulmlac

There's four of us. In Nassau, we are doing the Atlantis shallow water dolphin and discover Atlantis. I understand Atlantis is cashless too. We were thinking more like $100 per day just to be safe (since there's no backup atm's) so your thoughts are helpful

$100 per day is more than I would spend...but I can't fault you for carrying $300 with you when going out of the country. You can put it in the safe and carry as little or as much as you feel necessary. When we go ashore, we carry enough for a taxi and a little more, or what is appropriate depending on our plans.

if you're using taxis anywhere (orlando, nassau) then you need cash for that.

Tips on board - i add on to the standard tips - i add for all the tipping positions, so i bring an extra $200 for on board tips - just in case.

Not that i'll necessarily use all of that - but so that i have it.

Plus i would have money just in case of emergency and you end up being in nassau (e.g., if you have a medical emergency and end up in the hospital in nassau, you'll want to have cash with you).

and tips for the porters when you board and disembark...

but in truth, the cruise is part of a much longer trip, so i usually have a couple of thousand with me. :rolleyes:

Edited by alaska_planner