Bamboo Beach Club and Falls VIP Package Excursion in Jamaica

sassycruiser

Hi,

I am posting this to two boards so hopefully I can get a response.

We have the Bamboo Beach Club and Falls VIP package booked through Celebrity. Recently there were two bad reviews of this excursion.

Should be opt out prior to our cruise and find something else? Or was that a one time fluke?

Thank you!

I cannot recommend this excursion at all. I was on the December 3-10 Reflection sailing.

We did this excursion and while Dunns River Falls was fun (the water was freezing, though), the Bamboo Beach Club left a whole lot to be desired. DRF was very crowded, so we were only at the BBC for 2 hours. It rained and there was nowhere to go to stay out of the rain other than on overhang of a bar. The food was barely edible and the drinks were awful. Our two hostesses were trying very hard to serve the 38 people on our excursion but had a hard time keeping up with no help from anyone else at the club. The beach loungers were dirty and the beach was just ok. I figured that the BBC would be similar to a place we saw in Cozumel with an open bar, a nice beach and pool and a buffet area to get food. Nope, not at all. The drinks were brought out to us on trays by the hostess and we really had no choice on what we wanted. Some people were just getting their food when it was time to leave. We ended up being late to the ship and had a driver from he##, as well as them switching the bus we were on before without telling anyone!

In all honesty, I do not know where the VIP part came from as it was NOT VIP. They did have a cash bar and another area for non-VIP people but our area wasn't any nicer at all. I would've liked to have chosen my drinks from a bar and would have liked to have had a buffet area to eat instead of watching these two hostesses struggling to get us all fed and watered!

Someone mentioned that you could do an all-day at Sandals for, I think, $75 and that is what I would do if I go back to Jamaica on a cruise ship.

We ended up going to the excursions area and got most of our money back, as the BBC part was so bad.

Edited by katmandu2

I cannot recommend this excursion at all. I was on the December 3-10 Reflection sailing.

We did this excursion and while Dunns River Falls was fun (the water was freezing, though), the Bamboo Beach Club left a whole lot to be desired. DRF was very crowded, so we were only at the BBC for 2 hours. It rained and there was nowhere to go to stay out of the rain other than on overhang of a bar. The food was barely edible and the drinks were awful. Our two hostesses were trying very hard to serve the 38 people on our excursion but had a hard time keeping up with no help from anyone else at the club. The beach loungers were dirty and the beach was just ok. I figured that the BBC would be similar to a place we saw in Cozumel with an open bar, a nice beach and pool and a buffet area to get food. Nope, not at all. The drinks were brought out to us on trays by the hostess and we really had no choice on what we wanted. Some people were just getting their food when it was time to leave. We ended up being late to the ship and had a driver from he##, as well as them switching the bus we were on before without telling anyone!

In all honesty, I do not know where the VIP part came from as it was NOT VIP. They did have a cash bar and another area for non-VIP people but our area wasn't any nicer at all. I would've liked to have chosen my drinks from a bar and would have liked to have had a buffet area to eat instead of watching these two hostesses struggling to get us all fed and watered!

Someone mentioned that you could do an all-day at Sandals for, I think, $75 and that is what I would do if I go back to Jamaica on a cruise ship.

We ended up going to the excursions area and got most of our money back, as the BBC part was so bad.

We were on the same excursion. Everything that Katmandu2 is corrected. I could add more but it serves no purpose. The worse excursion for us ever. The cruise line did refund all of are money on this cruise ! Bob

We love Jamaica and go at least once a year. Not on a cruise. If my first trip to Jamaica had been on a cruise we never would have gone back. Great island if you do your research. Not so much if you go to the tourist traps. But I don't do tourist traps in the US either.

Dunn's is now a huge tourist trap and we would not go again even for free.

If you want to relax, a day at one of the resorts would be a better idea.

Or hiring a driver for the day. I would stay away from the ships tours too many people.

Is the ship docking in Falmouth or Ocho Rios?

Carol

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and canceled. The cost was $228.00 and I am not willing to pay that to take a chance. I am now researching other options and am sure I will find something else.

Carol - we dock in Falmouth.

Great Move ! If I were you guys I would probably look at one of the resorts in the area ! This stop was my least favorite on the cruise !

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with previous comments. Took the Bamboo Bay VIP trip via the Royal Caribbean Oasis this week. Major disappointment. Four of six hours spent on tour bus. They tried to make the 50 people on the bus go shopping at a place on the way back to the boat. Everyone protested and refused to depart the bus. Food was fine but not enough beach time at a place not too nice. Don't go is my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am so glad I decided to look for reviews of this excursion on CC before booking it! I'm not sure what we will do that day, but will probably not go to Dunn's River! Prefer to stay away from long lines and crowds as much as possible. Thanks for the reviews!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and canceled. The cost was $228.00 and I am not willing to pay that to take a chance. I am now researching other options and am sure I will find something else.

Carol - we dock in Falmouth.

Jamaica is fabulous, but like others have said, do your research. We've been there 17 times, only two of which have been on cruise ships. You might want to check out trip advisor and look into a private guide/tour. We did one once several years ago on one of our ship stops - I believe that the name of the guide we hired was Marva Shaw, or something like that. She was great. We went to a few places, including a beach. Really, she'll take you where ever you want. Really fun day.

We have never docked at Falmouth, but I understand that there are some things springing up around the port.