Best beach on St. Thomas?

Cruizen Susan

My roll call didn't have any suggestions about beaches in St. Thomas, so I came here!

For the last 10 or so years, we have been going to Emerald Beach, which is the Best Western's beach they allow visitors to use. It's alway been quiet, chair rentals, a bar and restaurant, very nice. In December 2016, it was mobbed. The rental chairs are in need of replacement, part of the beach is very rocky, and overall it has changed.

We don't like Magen's Bay due to the tourist crowds. Also heard that Sapphire Beach has gone down.

Anyone have any suggestions? We don't do the tours or shopping because we've visited the island often.

Thanks in advance!

We were supposed to go to St. John/Trunk Bay for a snorkeling excursion last week, but it was cancelled due to rough seas. It was our first choice. We ended up taking a taxi to Coki Beach on St. Thomas, which was very beautiful and not too crowded. They had rentals, drink service, restrooms, etc. I don't believe there was any restaurant service...seems like it was more snacks, but I couldn't say for sure on that part. We had 4 others from our ship also in the taxi. We agreed to go back together, and the driver arranged to pick us up at a designated time and arrived promptly. I will admit, it was a wild taxi ride!

Any beach on St John. Sorry but since you've been there so often it might be time to head over to St John.

We went for the first time this year (after many visits to St Thomas) and was impressed with the beaches and water.

Any beach on St John is beautiful

We were supposed to go to St. John/Trunk Bay for a snorkeling excursion last week, but it was cancelled due to rough seas. It was our first choice. We ended up taking a taxi to Coki Beach on St. Thomas, which was very beautiful and not too crowded. They had rentals, drink service, restrooms, etc. I don't believe there was any restaurant service...seems like it was more snacks, but I couldn't say for sure on that part. We had 4 others from our ship also in the taxi. We agreed to go back together, and the driver arranged to pick us up at a designated time and arrived promptly. I will admit, it was a wild taxi ride!

Agree, we also did Coki last month while on a land trip to St Thomas.

We have been to St. John, gorgeous indeed! In the interest of transportation, we just wanted to keep it more local. This is the second time someone mentioned Coki beach to me, so I think we'll give it a whirl!!

Thanks so much for your suggestions, always appreciated!

Susan

My roll call didn't have any suggestions about beaches in St. Thomas' date=' so I came here!

For the last 10 or so years, we have been going to Emerald Beach, which is the Best Western's beach they allow visitors to use. It's alway been quiet, chair rentals, a bar and restaurant, very nice. In December 2016, it was mobbed. The rental chairs are in need of replacement, part of the beach is very rocky, and overall it has changed.

We don't like Magen's Bay due to the tourist crowds. Also heard that Sapphire Beach has gone down.

Anyone have any suggestions? We don't do the tours or shopping because we've visited the island often.

Thanks in advance![/quote']

I was at Emerald Beach in December on the Equinox. This was my 10th visit - I only go to Emerald. For some reason the cab guy went past the entrance to the next property which was not nice, actually pretty scummy in my opinion. I walked back up the beach to the Best Western. The beach was the same, had a lounger under the cover/palm hut type thing. Beach was not rocky, had a few drinks from the bar.

My son was in St. Thomas in November. He went to Lindquist. Said it is the best beach because it is not touristy. Able to get chairs there too. Not sure about food. we will be going to this beach in Feb.

Lindquist is very good. No food there the last time I was there a year ago. You are not suppose to tell the secret......:) It is next to Sapphire Beach. Sapphire is good too. Both are better than Coki Beach or Magans.

We have been to St. John' date=' gorgeous indeed! In the interest of transportation, we just wanted to keep it more local. This is the second time someone mentioned Coki beach to me, so I think we'll give it a whirl!!

Thanks so much for your suggestions, always appreciated!

Susan[/quote']

I understand the transportation thing. We went to Coki a few trips ago. It was OK at best. Not bad by any means but I'm now spoiled

IDK where the previous poster was, but we were at Emerald beach in St. Thomas in Dec 2016. Beach was beautiful, not crowded, nice beach bar, restaurant and bathroom facilities. Not rocky. Nice chairs and plenty of shade. Close to the cruise port, just a short $4 cab ride.

For the true scenic experience, as others mentioned, St. John is the way to go. Trunk Bay is probably one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to.

If you do however wish to stay on St. Thomas, there is a nice little gem close to the Havensight port: Morningstar Beach. It is not the most beautiful beach, but it is 100% maintained by the Marriot Frenchman's Reef. There are very nice chairs and umbrellas for rent, along with a full service bar and restaurant. The sand is generally really good.

One word of warning though, this beach generally has some sizable waves when the wind is blowing! I've been to St. Thomas on land vacations many times, and we almost always venture to Morningstar.

Cheers

Funny, I was just going to reply Megans bay, but I see you don't like the crowds. I get that, and understand. If you walk a bit to your left when you get there you can find much less crowded areas.

I have no reason to try another beach, as we had an amazing day there in 2015. The drinks and gorgeous weather certainly helped though.

I do think I may try out Trunk bay on St. John's the next time we visit. It's always fun to visit another island, and you don't know if you'll love it or not until you give it a whirl.

Dan

Funny, I was just going to reply Megans bay, but I see you don't like the crowds. I get that, and understand. If you walk a bit to your left when you get there you can find much less crowded areas.

I have no reason to try another beach, as we had an amazing day there in 2015. The drinks and gorgeous weather certainly helped though.

I do think I may try out Trunk bay on St. John's the next time we visit. It's always fun to visit another island, and you don't know if you'll love it or not until you give it a whirl.

Dan

Trunk Bay and St. John's are at another level. Most of it is a US National Park. If you can get over there it is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Morningstar Beach Why travel all the way across the island when Morningstar is so close to Havensight.

You would have to travel since Celebrity no longer docks at Havensight. Emerald Beach would be the beach to go to for a beach close to the dock.

Edited by Charles4515

You would have to travel since Celebrity no longer docks at Havensight. Emerald Beach would be the beach to go to for a beach close to the dock. Or Megans.

Is anything walking distance from Havensight?

We've easily walked downtown but wondered if any beaches were walkable.

Is anything walking distance from Havensight?

We've easily walked downtown but wondered if any beaches were walkable.

Celebrity docks at Crown Bay now. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will be docking there unless there is an overflow. I don't think there are any walkable beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Celebrity docks at Crown Bay now. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will be docking there unless there is an overflow. I don't think there are any walkable beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is crown bay the same dock as where the Oasis docks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Not sure it's always like this but the water in that inlet next to the dock smelled like death warmed over when we were there on the Oasis in May of 2015. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It used to be a Navy base. I don't think anyone would want to swim around there. I imagine all kinds of poisons were dumped for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk