These smaller cruise lines - tables for two?

OlsSalt

Scanning many of the smaller cruise lines it appears most show dining rooms with only large group tables - 4 to 6 to 8. DH and I love dining alone and group table dining is a negative for us.

As much as we love Voyages of Discovery, group table dining was a drawback for us. I also see some have now gone to anytime, open seating while others retain the two fixed dining times. Can this make a difference when trying to obtain a table dedicated to just two diners - more likely available at the later seating?

Are there smaller ships that tend have more tables for two dining available than others? Thanks for any tips in this direction.

Edited by OlsSalt

Scanning many of the smaller cruise lines it appears most show dining rooms with only large group tables - 4 to 6 to 8. DH and I love dining alone and group table dining is a negative for us.

As much as we love Voyages of Discovery, group table dining was a drawback for us. I also see some have now gone to anytime, open seating while others retain the two fixed dining times. Can this make a difference when trying to obtain a table dedicated to just two diners - more likely available at the later seating?

Are there smaller ships that tend have more tables for two dining available than others? Thanks for any tips in this direction.

How small of a ship are you looking at?

Yes if eating at opening time might be a problem getting a 2 top depends on how many others want to eat alone & early

I can't speak for other lines, but a few years ago Voyages to Antiquity redesigned their Lido/outdoor dining area, and it is my favorite place to eat on the ship in the evening. (The MDR has a very 'shut in' feeling to me, I like being outside when the weather is fine.) It's partially covered and generally not windy unless one is at the very back rail.

There are a number of tables for 2 here. In addition to having the Lido buffet available (just inside), this area also has a limited menu you can order from -- items are from the dining room and you are served them, you don't have to go through the buffet line. Hence, there is a little bit of something for everyone.

I honestly can't recall whether there are many tables for two in the MDR, which is open seating, but there are some banquettes where I believe they will seat couples on their own.

Thanks for the responses. By "small", I mean 600 or so, and under.

So you mean smaller ships. Oceania has four ships that have about 640 guests. They have tables for two. Open seating.

And Azamara. About the same size - 690.

See also: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=360

Edited by Tansy Mews

Thanks for the responses. By "small", I mean 600 or so, and under.

another vote for Oceania only 684 pax on the smaller ships

We have gotten tables for 2

Sometimes everyone wants a 2 top the same night so we share a table for 4 ;)

600 is a small ship???? Crikey, we usually go on expedition ships with about 100 passengers and there are always tables for two. We have also been on Silver Cloud and Seabourn Legend, about 300 passengers, and there were always tables for two on those ships as well.

We are Windstar cruisers. Ships range 148 to 300 passengers. Lovely dining options with many two tops plus 24 hour complimentary room service.

• 4 months later...

well by your definition this is VERY small, but the Crystal Esprit (about 60 pax) has entirely tables for 2. If you want to sit with others they just push the tables together. So you can always have dinner exactly when, where and with whom you like.