Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

It seems like you can wear whatever you like to the MDR so why not just eliminate Chic Night. The people that want to wear formal wear can and people that want to wear less dressy can. Seems like it would be a lot less confusing,a secondary benefit would be less "How to dress" threads on this site.

J.

It seems like you can wear whatever you like to the MDR so why not just eliminate Chic Night. The people that want to wear formal wear can and people that want to wear less dressy can. Seems like it would be a lot less confusing,a secondary benefit would be less "How to dress" threads on this site.

J.

And you just started another "How to dress" thread??

J.

I'm all for keeping it simple. And having the dress code threads go away. The problem with chic or any other name is that everyone has a different definition of what is "chic."

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

"Chic" night to me just means it's the night people should try to look their best. I think it's a very fair compromise because it doesn't force anyone to wear anything specific but at the same time it allows those that like to dress up to go all out.

Although many still went crazy, Chic Night is simply a concession to the Formal Crowd so that they can be comfortable dressing up if they wish. If they eliminated those nights , it still would be a negative for those who do want to dress. At least there are 2 (well, supposed to be 2 but they keep sneaking in 3) nights that can be focused on more formal dressing, if wished.

We still prefer the more relaxed approach on many of the more premium lines, e.g. Oceania, Azamara, Viking.

It's your vacation. Wear whatever you want. Dress up or down. Please keep it clean. The old formal night wasn't really formal. The new chic night is too confusing. I prefer smart casual. I have cruised on other lines that never had any formal or chic nights. Somehow, everyone seemed to dress well.

The Chic night usually has some of the best dinner menus and other activities, so I think it is still different than the other nights. The designation is not all about what the guests wear.

A couple special nights is still a good idea IMO.

For those of us that have been cruising for many years probably remember that the dress code used to be for the entire evening not just for the time spent in MDR. When that requirement was relaxed from the entire evening to just the MDR, that was the beginning of the end for formal nights IMO. Why dress (and pack for) just a couple hours in the dining room then rush back to the cabin to change into something more comfortable? I never made this switch except for maybe dumping the tie; I never thought that it was worth the effort to change clothes one more time. Also, the no formal dress code in the speciality restaurants is another clue of what is to come (and a great profit driver for these restaurants today).

IMO, "chic" is just a stepping stone that Celebrity is taking before ending formal nights entirely. Maybe when the new "Edge Class" ships are introduced that will be the opening that Celebrity is waiting for to end formal nights and switch to smart casual every night. We will see, obviously market forces will drive this decision (who else will still have formal nights and are they considered Celebrity's prime competition). It will be interesting how this plays out the next few years.

Although many still went crazy, Chic Night is simply a concession to the Formal Crowd so that they can be comfortable dressing up if they wish. If they eliminated those nights , it still would be a negative for those who do want to dress. At least there are 2 (well, supposed to be 2 but they keep sneaking in 3) nights that can be focused on more formal dressing, if wished.

We still prefer the more relaxed approach on many of the more premium lines, e.g. Oceania, Azamara, Viking.

I kind of think the opposite: I see it as a concession to the crowd that didn't want to dress formally.

Many people, ourselves included, prefer to dress up a bit more on "chic" nights. So why do you care, or does anyone else care, if there is a still a concession to the dressier nights? Generally on those nights, the entertainment is a bit better, and the photo spots are set up.

It is incredibly irritating how people on this board are so heavily invested in not only wanting to dress down...but making sure that everyone else sees it "their way".

If you do not wish to dress up formally, then dress as you see fit. Do not insist that anyone else do the same, or eliminate the very few concessions made to there being a few special nights..including called it "Chic Night".

Many people, ourselves included, prefer to dress up a bit more on "chic" nights. So why do you care, or does anyone else care, if there is a still a concession to the dressier nights? Generally on those nights, the entertainment is a bit better, and the photo spots are set up.

It is incredibly irritating how people on this board are so heavily invested in not only wanting to dress down...but making sure that everyone else sees it "their way".

If you do not wish to dress up formally, then dress as you see fit. Do not insist that anyone else do the same, or eliminate the very few concessions made to there being a few special nights..including called it "Chic Night".

We still love the dressier nights and will continue to dress formally! I agree that it's a more special atmosphere all around on those nights. We are actually just off a short, four night sailing on the Silhouette and I was impressed that even on such a short cruise, there were still people really dressed up on the Chic night. Not terribly many, but they were definitely rocking it! I even saw a few gentlemen in suits/ties on the non chic night.

IMO, "chic" is just a stepping stone that Celebrity is taking before ending formal nights entirely. Maybe when the new "Edge Class" ships are introduced that will be the opening that Celebrity is waiting for to end formal nights and switch to smart casual every night. We will see, obviously market forces will drive this decision (who else will still have formal nights and are they considered Celebrity's prime competition). It will be interesting how this plays out the next few years.

Huh? Stepping stone? They have already ended formal nights entirely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I kind of think the opposite: I see it as a concession to the crowd that didn't want to dress formally.

I think it was a concession to reality. The reality of how passengers were dressing and wanted to dress.

I won't predict the future on Edge or other Celebrity ships. I think Evening Chic works well but if they go to Smart Casual every evening it wouldn't bother me.

Edited by Charles4515

Looking forward to our first X cruise on Reflection in March and Chic night instead of Formal, though not sure how men's dress varies from Chic to non-Chic.

Previous cruises were all on Princess and a survey they took showed there is still a large group who want Formal. That for me is a dark grey suit. I did try my Tux on but it was made for a much younger guy :o

Well I just can't help myself from "dressing up" and wearing my bling all nights on our cruises. DH no longer brings his tux, and most of the time, not even a suit. He packs a jacket and tie, but most nights wears a nice shirt and khakis. I, however, will be continuing to pack my maxi-dresses, silky tops and bling accessories.

These cruises are our "romantic" getaways, and each evening is like getting ready for a date! I have getting ready down to a science and it only takes me a half hour to an hour, depending on if the hair needs washing :) (every other day)

Semantics aside, I don't care if it's called formal night, evening chic, or casual, every night many of we ladies like to sparkle!!

Where is the like button?

I think some of the requests for less formal wear are due to the restrictions on luggage and allowance weights on airlines. If someone brings a tux, a suit, sports coats, trousers and shoes to match and spouse brings evening gowns with matching shoes and purses plus a couple of cocktail dresses (and more shoes) this adds to a lot of extra luggage and luggage weight. The new rules let people choose clothing that allows them to pack more efficiently IF they choose.

I think some of the requests for less formal wear are due to the restrictions on luggage and allowance weights on airlines. . .

I am not sure what airline(s) restrict luggage. It is often mentioned here but I have never seen it in practice. Yes, if you travel with multiple suitcases you might need to pay more. The simple approach is to take less if one has difficulty paying for the extra. I know I have no difficulty packing clothes for a 2-3 week cruise, including dark suit and suitable shirt and shoes, in one medium size suitcase. I think the whining about evil airline restrictions and charges are just an excuse.

I am not sure what airline(s) restrict luggage. It is often mentioned here but I have never seen it in practice. Yes, if you travel with multiple suitcases you might need to pay more. The simple approach is to take less if one has difficulty paying for the extra. I know I have no difficulty packing clothes for a 2-3 week cruise, including dark suit and suitable shirt and shoes, in one medium size suitcase. I think the whining about evil airline restrictions and charges are just an excuse.

Totally agree blaming luggage and airline reasons are just excuses!! Even with my overpacking, I manage to get all my "stuff" in a large suitcase. So does DH. And we each bring a carry-on.

I generally wear my Tux on chic nights. But after reading some of these comments I am thinking about conducting my own Senior Hairy Chest contest, while sharing MDR tables with those that like to dress down. After all, if we no longer have etiquette or standards...then why not? I am sure our tablemates would love to have this Senior guy wearing a name brand swim suit and showing off all the gray chest hair. And in order not to insult anyone...perhaps I could wear pasties.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I generally wear my Tux on chic nights. But after reading some of these comments I am thinking about conducting my own Senior Hairy Chest contest, while sharing MDR tables with those that like to dress down. After all, if we no longer have etiquette or standards...then why not? I am sure our tablemates would love to have this Senior guy wearing a name brand swim suit and showing off all the gray chest hair. And in order not to insult anyone...perhaps I could wear pasties.

Hank

No one cares if you wear a tux or whatever on Evening Chic night except your wife. No one will remember or care. Get over it......

I've always thought that the act of putting on a tux was much more of an imposition than the "fancy dresses with flats" I saw so many women wear. To match the discomfort of the tux, all women should have been required to wear only gowns, with stockings and closed toed heels.

I'm joking, of course, but I often saw what amounted to simply a dark dress for the women with men having to push, prod and tuck all sorts of things into unnatural positions. It did make us walk upright, as the slightest bend would choke us about the neck, and punish us in other regions.