Cozumel shootings

habsfan4ever

Any indication of a change in Cozumel destination for upcoming cruises?

Perhaps you want to give a bit more info. Are you referring to the shootings in Playa del Carmen on the main land, usually a really rough ferry ride from Cozumel?

The shootings occurred at 2:30AM outside a nightclub. It's unlikely that the port would be cancelled unless there is a pattern of violence in the tourist areas.

Edited by Kartgv

Any indication of a change in Cozumel destination for upcoming cruises?

Is Celebrity changing their itineraries after the recent mid-day park shootings in Miami? 8 injured in MLK Day Park shooting incident in Miami..: https://www.google.com.vc/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/01/16/us/miami-park-shooting-mlk-day/index.html?client=ms-android-sonymobile

Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about our safety in regards to shooting incidents coming to the USA to pick up our cruise that visits Cozumel next month than I am about our safety in Cozumel on a one day cruise visit based in the recent Playa del Carmen nightclub shooting (which is a 40 minute ferry ride from Cozumel, FWIW).

If one shooting caused Celebrity to change itineraries, they wouldn't be able to sail from any US port at all....

Edited by reedprincess

Nope, not Cozumel. In Playa del Carmen, a 40+ minute ferry ride away on the mainland...

Thanks, not sure what the OP's point is then. On a clear day you can see the mainland from Cozumel, on a hazy day not so much.

The recent shootings in Miami and Orlando killed more people than the one incident in Playa Del Carmen at 2:30 am outside a nightclub. It baffles me that one report of a shooting abroad triggers travel concerns yet 13,000+ gun deaths in the US annually is apparently no reason for concern whatsoever [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The recent shootings in Miami and Orlando killed more people than the one incident in Playa Del Carmen at 2:30 am outside a nightclub. It baffles me that one report of a shooting abroad triggers travel concerns yet 13,000+ gun deaths in the US annually is apparently no reason for concern whatsoever [emoji15]

The reality is that our American friends have become conditioned to shootings as they are such a regular occurrence. It's normal to them but a very different story to us Europeans.

The reality is that our American friends have become conditioned to shootings as they are such a regular occurrence. It's normal to them but a very different story to us Europeans.

Sure-but the point that reedprincess is making is that if the the op is concerned about gun crime then he or she should be more concerned about travelling to the USA to board the ship rather than a 1 day stop in Cozumel.

Personally, apart from taking the usual precautions, things like the odd isolated shooting don't worry me. I grew up in South Africa and my job took me into some of the most dangerous parts of Johannesburg during the 80's & 90's and I'm still here taking cruises:)

Sure-but the point that reedprincess is making is that if the the op is concerned about gun crime then he or she should be more concerned about travelling to the USA to board the ship rather than a 1 day stop in Cozumel.

Personally, apart from taking the usual precautions, things like the odd isolated shooting don't worry me. I grew up in South Africa and my job took me into some of the most dangerous parts of Johannesburg during the 80's & 90's and I'm still here taking cruises:)

Yes I know. But I was replying to another poster. Not the op.

I travel to RSA regularly. It's a place where I wod say more precautions are needed than Cozumel. But common sense will help you stay safe.

Shootings happen everywhere! I remember them in Antigua, St Lucia and St Thomas. In St Thomas's shooting a girl from Carnival was killed near Coki beach. In St Kitts 18 passengers were held at gun point and robbed during ship sponsored Celebrity excursion.

I doubt Cozumel will be cancelled as a port. It is usually a very safe port.

Edited by Tatka

While I think the OP's worries about the shooting in Mexico is a bit alarmist it is just as silly to bring up the shootings in the US as a comparison. Misguided as he/she may be, the OP has a somewhat valid reason to worry about Mexico since their government/police forces aren't exactly known for their efficiency. Crime happens everywhere but worrying about shootings in the US is like worrying about Muslim terrorist attacks while vacationing in Europe.

While I think the OP's worries about the shooting in Mexico is a bit alarmist it is just as silly to bring up the shootings in the US as a comparison. Misguided as he/she may be, the OP has a somewhat valid reason to worry about Mexico since their government/police forces aren't exactly known for their efficiency. Crime happens everywhere but worrying about shootings in the US is like worrying about Muslim terrorist attacks while vacationing in Europe.

Well shootings in US happen much more often than Muslim terrorist attacks. We just hear about most horrific ones and unfortunately too often. It happens even with our very efficient police.

I'd have to do the population numbers to be sure, but I'll bet that even if you managed to be in Berlin, Paris and Nice on holiday the very day of last year's three biggest terror attacks, your statistical chance of getting killed would still be much less than as a resident of somewhere like Chicago.

Please, please can we stop having threads like this one? If you're scared of the bogey man and don't trust cruise and tour operators to make the right judgements about your safety, then it might be time to dig a big hole, line it with canned goods, climb in and pull some sheet metal over the top.

My apologies if this seems a bit critical. It just seems so all out of proportion.

Why does this confuse you? The land mass and population in the US is enormous compared to the relatively tiny places at issue. Further most Americans are fairly familiar (in comparison) with the cities and suburbs in the US as opposed to their lack of familiarity with foreign places. So the number you quote, while it may be true has zero relationship to the discussion at hand.

I'd have to do the population numbers to be sure, but I'll bet that even if you managed to be in Berlin, Paris and Nice on holiday the very day of last year's three biggest terror attacks, your statistical chance of getting killed would still be much less than as a resident of somewhere like Chicago.

Please, please can we stop having threads like this one? If you're scared of the bogey man and don't trust cruise and tour operators to make the right judgements about your safety, then it might be time to dig a big hole, line it with canned goods, climb in and pull some sheet metal over the top.

My apologies if this seems a bit critical. It just seems so all out of proportion.

Why would you suggest the OP or anyone not post about these issues? If someone has a concern, they should post it...if for no reason that to have the benefit of the community's reassurances.

I have more issue (but admittedly very little) with the incessant posts about dress codes, mdr menu items in blu, and the value of specialty dining.

Do not go into Orlando, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I watch the evening news for Orlando and even I wonder how safe it is NOT. Heck we have had some shooting in the local retirement area called THE Village.