Can I use ship wifi to download pictures from my wifi enabled camera to my phone?

SweetieinVT

Hmmm...I wonder if I can do that [bluetooth] between my iPhone and iPad? How do you set it up?

I use my cell phone to take photos, now. So on long cruises, I have been using a short cable to transfer my photos to my iPad in case I lose my cell. I will have the photos on back-up. This also reduces the storage on my cell.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can do that [bluetooth] between my iPhone and iPad? How do you set it up?

I use my cell phone to take photos, now. So on long cruises, I have been using a short cable to transfer my photos to my iPad in case I lose my cell. I will have the photos on back-up. This also reduces the storage on my cell.

I use a camera to take my pictures and a cable to feed them to the computer. (Old fart alert!) Then I can save the ones I want to access with my phone to the cloud. A little cumbersome, but I have 2.5 TB storage on my computer and only 64 GB on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the unlimited internet plan as a perk, is there a way for me to download my pics using the ship wifi?

Your thread title says WiFi enabled camera to phone. If you have a camera has WiFi, the camera makes its own WiFi hotspot, that you set it up on the camera, then you connect to that on your phone to transfer pictures. You don't need the ships WiFi for that.

Edited by Charles4515

You connect with Airdrop. I do that all the time. Google Airdrop for how to do it. Practice a few times and you will know how to do it.

Your thread title says WiFi enabled camera to phone. If you have a camera has WiFi, the camera makes its own WiFi hotspot, that you set it up on the camera, then you connect to that on your phone to transfer pictures. You don't need the ships WiFi for that.

I was not aware that it worked that way, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

I was just going to post the same thing. Don't need any external WiFi at all to get the pic to the phone. Once the pics are on the phone, OP could just the smartphone and the ship's unlimited WiFi to backup pictures to the cloud.

Edited by lostchild

I don't use Cloud. I don't want my things "out there!" :rolleyes:

I use a camera to take my pictures and a cable to feed them to the computer. (Old fart alert!) Then I can save the ones I want to access with my phone to the cloud. A little cumbersome, but I have 2.5 TB storage on my computer and only 64 GB on my iPhone.

I used to do this when I used a camera, and I would take a separate camera card for every two ports of call. Then store them in my safe until returning home. Once home, all photos go on my computer. I don't take my computer on cruises with me. Only my iPad.

You connect with Airdrop. I do that all the time. Google Airdrop for how to do it. Practice a few times and you will know how to do it.

Thanks to you and cruisestitch. I will look up Airdrop, but if it is connected to Cloud, I will not use it. :(

UPDATE:

I looked it up, and Airdrop appears to be Bluetooth. And I am confused because this article says that Bluetooth uses WiFi.

How Does AirDrop Work?

AirDrop uses Bluetooth to create a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network between the devices. Each device creates a firewall around the connection and files are sent encrypted, which actually makes it safer than transferring via email. AirDrop will automatically detect nearby supported devices, and the devices only need to be close enough to establish a good Wi-Fi connection, making it possible to share files across several rooms.

One advantage to AirDrop is the use of Wi-Fi to make the connection. Some apps provide a similar file sharing capability using Bluetooth. And some Android devices use a combination of Near Field Communications (NFC) and Bluetooth to share files. But both Bluetooth and NFC are relatively slow compared Wi-Fi, which makes sharing larger files using AirDrop much faster and more convenient.

Edited by Iamthesea

You just "airdrop" the photos from Phone to Ipad:

- Enable Airdrop on both devices (slide your finger from the bottom to the top, select AirDrop, select for everyone)

- Select photos

- Click on the square symbol with an arrow

- turn iPad on

- Click on the name of your iPad which will appear in the middle

- Accept the pics on your iPad

- Done

Edited by Miaminice

Thanks to you and cruisestitch. I will look up Airdrop, but if it is connected to Cloud, I will not use it. :(

UPDATE:

I looked it up, and Airdrop appears to be Bluetooth. And I am confused because this article says that Bluetooth uses WiFi.

It does not use or require Cloud. All it does is to "move" data from one device directly to the other. It only works within a certain range - like in the same room.

It uses the wifi and bluetooth connection. Both have to be turned on. However you do not need to be connected to a network (no cost).

We use it all the time. I take a photo. DW wants to have it to post on FB... I just airdrop it to her. Matter of seconds.

BTW: I found out about it in one of the apple classes on board Celebrity

You can use Airdrop even when you are no where near any open wifi connections. We transferred pictures from phone to phone on a recent camping trip----far from any wifi. You can transfer your pictures from iPhone to iPad even at home without wifi. Try it before you leave. Turn wifi off on both devices, and airdrop will still work.

If you have an iPhone & an iPad that are on the same account (email) a camera roll picture on one device will automatically show in photo stream on the other device. I use AirDrop to quickly transmit pictures to my DHs phone from my phone

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by awhfy

Try it before you leave. Turn wifi off on both devices, and airdrop will still work.

No offense, but I think you are mistaken. If you turn wifi off - not just log out of a network but really disable wifi, the airdrop message will say someting like "in order to share files activate wifi by clicking..." and will turn on wifi again before airdropping :-)

But it really does not make a difference in terms of being free to use. It uses the wifi technology - but as long as you are not connected to a network there is no cost. And that is what is important to know for the OP

It does not use or require Cloud. All it does is to "move" data from one device directly to the other. It only works within a certain range - like in the same room.

It uses the wifi and bluetooth connection. Both have to be turned on. However you do not need to be connected to a network (no cost).

We use it all the time. I take a photo. DW wants to have it to post on FB... I just airdrop it to her. Matter of seconds.

BTW: I found out about it in one of the apple classes on board Celebrity

You can use Airdrop even when you are no where near any open wifi connections. We transferred pictures from phone to phone on a recent camping trip----far from any wifi. You can transfer your pictures from iPhone to iPad even at home without wifi. Try it before you leave. Turn wifi off on both devices, and airdrop will still work.

This is so cool to know! :) No more using the cable I bought several years ago. Of course, this was for use with an iPhone 5 and iPad Basic. Now I have the 6S (upgrading to 7 next month) and the iPad Air 2.

I love those Apple Classes and have learned so much, but missed the classes on my last cruise. :(

If you have an iPhone & an iPad that are on the same account (email) a camera roll picture on one device will automatically show in photo stream on the other device. I use AirDrop to quickly transmit pictures to my DHs phone from my phone

My devices have different email addresses. Actually, I do not get or want email on my iPhone. I use the iPad to get emails when traveling and have set up a separate account. Although I know check my other accounts with Google Chrome or Safari. And I disabled Photo Stream because I do like duplicates of everything I take coming in automatically.:D

Thanks so much everyone! Going to give Airdrop a try in less than 2 weeks.