First time cruiser planning Greece, Italy trip. Help!

nicksfix

Hello, all!

I'm a college student, graduating in the spring. My boyfriend and I, as well as a close family friend, are interested in taking a Med cruise. The trouble is, the choices are overwhelming. I must warn you that this post will be quite long, as I wish to get all the details and important info down, in hopes of someone willing to help me make the right decisions.

To begin with, we will be flying from Ottawa, Canada. I've never flown before, so that alone is another tango to dance, so to speak. After discussing potential itineraries with my travel companions, we have expressed great interest in visiting the following locations on the cruise. We're fine with 7-14 day trips:

Venice (if possible)

Rome (and Vatican City)

Pompeii

Barcelona

Athens

Santorini

Also, I in particular would like to find a cruise that goes near the island of Kea. I'm an ocean liner buff, and would very much like to pay my respects over the wreck of the HMHS Britannic, Titanic's sunken sister ship, which rests on the seabed near Kea. I know it is quite out of the way, but if there are any cruises that go there, I'm particularly interested in them for certain. If there is a cruise that explores the Greek coastline only and doesn't go to Italy, then that is fine also, so long as I might have a chance to visit Kea.

Our goal is to have a first-person witness to the history and majesty of the Mediterranean, and we are particularly interested in Greece and Italy. We'd love to see the most famous, imposing and picturesque parts of Greece during the cruise, but I'm unsure of which cities to visit (looking to find something along the lines of cliffside cities, sparkling seas, breathtaking views and towering temples, etc.). For Rome, the Vatican City is a must if we stop in Italy, as well as the usual spots such as the Colosseum and whatnot.

Now, on to the choice of line, stateroom, etc. My boyfriend and I are keen to find a crowd that doesn't involve belly-flops, obnoxious hosts deserving of a hard slap or a ship stuffed with party animals fresh out of Wal-Mart that care for little else but where the bars and dance floors are. We aren't against choosing any line, even Carnival. It's just that we'd like to avoid the messy, noisy, rude party boats, and though I know Carnival is typically the bottom rung of the ladder, they do provide lovely staterooms and interior design on their newer ships. We'd love to sail on the Queen Victoria, Quantum/Anthem of the Seas, any MSC or Celebrity ship (breathtaking to say the least) or even smaller lines such as Viking or Windstar, so long as fares don't skyrocket.

We're not picky about the cabin in particular, so long as we at least have an ocean view window of some kind, and comfortable beds. One of those traveling with us is 70, and while active and healthy, I'd imagine he would appreciate a more comfortable bed. If there is a cabin that has enough bed space to comfortably sleep 3 people (not fold out couches, but actual beds), then that is perfectly fine. Also, I have no idea where to begin regarding excursions and don't wish to make this post any longer than it already is going to be (sorry again) by fussing over those details. I just would like to find a very good tour of Athens that covers the must-see spots, and if we go to Rome, then the Vatican City tour needs to be really in-depth, obviously. We would like to enjoy some quality time on the ship, but also be able to get off and experience the culture and tours of the ports the ship stops in. I'm looking for a cruise with many different stops and excursion options that also provides a few days at sea here and there to allow for us to enjoy the ship fully.

I'm really hoping that MSC would be a recommended line to choose, or Cunard, Princess, RC or Celebrity. They are our favourite lines, (MSC/Cunard especially). I'm well aware of the horror stories involving MSC and Celebrity has had a bad rep in the past, so I'm really lost with what to decide upon. MSC has absolutely gorgeous ships, as do Cunard, so those two are at the top of our list. I want to be able to embark upon this trip and be able to truly impress my travel companions, in the hopes of getting them bitten by the cruising bug (neither have never cruised before either and don't expect much).

I apologize for the length of this, once again! I'm looking to hear the experiences of members on here who have chosen similar itineraries and may have some advice on what to choose, what to avoid, what pricing schemes to steer clear from, etc. Also, considering my boyfriend is training to be a chef, I'd like to find a ship that has excellent food, or at least of The Keg restaurant type of quality. Onboard sushi bars and mexican food are huge bonuses, also, as well as a library and affordable excursions.

Edited by nicksfix

Welcome to Cruise Critic Nicksfix. You mentioned Spring, but, what month specifically will you be traveling?

For example next May 2016 the MSC Orchestra is running a series of 7-night Greek Isles cruises round trip from Venice, Italy with stops in Bari, Italy - Katakolon, Greece - Santorini, Greece - Piraeus, Greece - Corfu, Greece - Kotor Montenegro.

Here is a link to an extensive review of the MSC Divina that Cruise Critic Gambee did:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/msc-divina-review/

Keep in mind the above itinerary like many European routes is extremely port heavy. You will be running around every day, it's nice to have a sea day or two to catch your breath.

We have not sailed with MSC, the ships look quite beautiful. From what I have read they cater to a European clientele. The MSC balcony cabins are running approx. $1,300 per person.

Royal Caribbean Lines' Vision of the Seas runs a similar itinerary next May also round trip from Venice with many of the same ports as the MSC Orchestra, plus one sea day.

The Royal Caribbean cabins are a bit more pricey at $2,099 per person for a balcony but, only around $953 per person for an ocean view.

There are some cabins that include a pullman style bed that lowers from the ceiling otherwise they are all pull out sofas.

Cunard has some fabulous ships but, they will be rather pricey. For example the Queen Victoria has a 7-day cruise in mid-July, with stops in Greece and Turkey for $1,698 per person for an ocean view.

You need to first pick a precise month you are interested in traveling and then sit down with a reputable travel agent in your home town. There is no fee for meeting with an agent. This way you can carefully outline your most favorable route and see which cruise lines can offer you the best rate.

Still another thing to consider is a Transatlantic Voyage. I realize you have some very specific ports you are interested in seeing but, a week or two long cruise plus round trip airfare will be very expensive.

Sometimes you can find rather good rates for these repositioning cruise with discounted airfare for your return.

The Celebrity Reflection has a wonderful 16-night Transatlantic cruise leaving from Miami on April 9th with stops in the Canary Islands, Malaga, Spain, Cartagena, Spain - Barcelona, Spain (overnight), Nice, France, Florence, Italy and finishing in Rome, Italy. $1,300 for ocean view and $1,009 for inside cabin.

Good Luck planning your cruise and have a wonderful voyage.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

WE did a Athens to Rome cruise in 2001 and just loved it ( also doing a 12 day RCCL Barcelona to Italy cruise next year) , I would pick Celebrity or RCCL, RCCL has Vision and Brilliance which are slightly older and smaller that both have some great routes. I know MSC will have mostly European passengers with all announcements in many languages. If its in your budget look at the junior suites on RCCL they are large cabins with plenty of room.

I thought Pompeii, Athens and Rome were amazing so much history along with all the other ports, my big bonus was the food and wine in Italy. Good luck in planning.

The first thing you need to decide is what your budget can support. You may find that the cruise closest to the itinerary you want will require your expectations to sink to an inside cabin. You won't be spending much time in it anyway. I have sailed 24 days in the Med. in an inside cabin and never felt deprived.

Next, you need to decide exactly where you want to visit, which ports are most important. I suspect to get the ports in the eastern Med., you will have to sacrifice Barcelona.

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose the ports you simply must visit from the second list (destinations). then choose the time frame, and it will show you who is calling there and their itineraries.

As far as excursions go, get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read up on the places you may visit. He will tell you how you can do it on your own. For the few ports he doesn't cover in that book, he recommends Lonely Planet.

To see much of Rome, you would need to start or end your cruise there, and spend at least a full day, better two, before or after your cruise. Same for Venice. On one cruise (Carnival Dream, 2009) my sister really wanted to see the Vatican, but we could only fly in the day of the cruise. We booked the transfer from airport to pier through Carnival, with a tour of the Vatican included. It worked, and there were no lines to check in when we got to the ship, because we were nearly the last arrivals. We did the rest of Rome a couple years later, on our own using train/bus.

As far as Kea is concerned, a cruise that takes you from Mykonos to Athens (Piraeus), or the other direction, will take you maybe 10-15 miles from it. If you were to sail from Athens, and spend a couple of days in Athens, you could visit there by ferry from Lavrion.

Med cruises are very port intensive. There are few sea days to relax on the ship. therefore, itinerary is much more important than ship/cruiseline, and type of cabin. Ignore anyone who tells you you simply MUST have a balcony. the important thing is to be ON the ship, in whatever accommodation your budget can handle. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

These are some wonderful suggestions - thank you everyone, they are greatly appreciated. We're not sure when it is best to go, to be perfectly honest. We have no knowledge of the temperature or seasonal weather outside of Canada, unfortunately (Siberia in Winter, Calcutta in July). We graduate in April 2016, but may need to wait until later on in the year or even 2017 to do this - so it is really quite flexible for us in choosing a month.

I had never known that transatlantic cruises were offered, which, frankly, blew my freakin' mind! Thank you SO VERY MUCH for this info. So now, I'm edging very closely to choosing a trans cruise that leaves the U.S and ends in Rome. There are loads of sea days - so many that I wished the ship would stop here and there along the Atlantic. I cannot find any that go all the way to Greece other than Holland America, and it is ridiculously expensive compared to Celebrity or RCI. Considering that it will be 3 of us flying from Ottawa to our boarding destination, 3 of us to a suite, and 3 of us eating and drinking and paying for excursions PLUS 3 of us possibly staying longer in the disembark point and then flying back, it would be a definite no - unless it goes on sale. Plus, I don't feel at all comfortable crossing the choppy Atlantic in a smaller ship. Anything large works, though. I'm unsure if there are any trans cruises that go to Greece within Celebrity, MSC or RCI, but it would certainly save a lot of money on flights with just having to fly to Florida to board the ship.

I'd like to avoid ports that are samey and typical, if anyone knows what I mean. Safety is important too, so I'd like to avoid any run-down, economically turbulent stops (Greece notwithstanding, for they cannot afford to turn away tourists right now!). As I said, I'm looking for an itinerary that will blow the minds of my travelling companions to get them hooked on cruising. They aren't particularly interested right now, but I know it's likely because I won't stop going on about it!

I'd still LOVE to travel with MSC, despite the language issues. One of us speaks perfect Spanish (first language) so it may help a lot. So long as they are perfectly able to communicate vital information in English and hopefully keep English-speakers together, then it's fine.

Celebrity is also a top choice, after watching trans cruise videos on youtube (they are STELLAR, to say the least, those ships). We'd go for an oceanview suite at most, so not even thinking about a balcony.

Sorry for rambling again - I'm studying professional writing, can you tell? ;)

Edited by nicksfix

Both Thomson and Celestyal cruises cover the Greek islands; both use older ships, but the itinerary is what counts with them.

Thomson is British managed, and is used mainly by Brits; Celestyal (was Louis Cruise) is Greek Cypriot managed.

We have sailed with both companies, and whilst they are not like the main cruise lines, they are comfortable and have various activities on board.

Both Thomson Dream and Majesty offer Mykonos; Celestial has various itineraries often covering the small Greek islands which cannot be reached by larger ships.

I'm a college student, graduating in the spring. My boyfriend and I, as well as a close family friend, are interested in taking a Med cruise. The trouble is, the choices are overwhelming. I must warn you that this post will be quite long, as I wish to get all the details and important info down, in hopes of someone willing to help me make the right decisions.

Aloha nicksfix :D,

First What kind of budget do you have to work with? If cost is not a factor, then you could plan a 7-14 day vacation in the Med, but as a graduating college student I don't suppose you have $100k to work with. All of the stuff you want to do will cost! You need to know how much you have to work with in order to figure out what you can afford to do. If you fly to a starting point in Rome for example, how much will your flights cost? If you cruise to the Med, how much is a cruise for three? And this doesn't even begin to figure how much the shore excursions will cost. And you must remember that the amount of time you will have in each port will be limited so time restricts the number of things you can do in each port.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda

I don't think an eastbound transAtlantic would be a good way to persuade your friends who are not too keen on cruising that it is great. It's not a typical cruise, although you are on the ship, and your meals are included...But a Transatlantic westboound after a port intensive Med. cruise might be a good way to relax and digest your adventures. Eastbound, you lose an hour of sleep a day five or six times, not to mention what you lose from Ottawa...Coming back, you get those hours back.

Just a terminology caution: You want an OV (oceanview) cabin, not a suite. There are accommodations on ships that are called suites, but they are much larger and cost much, much more than a cabin. Referring to your cabin as a suite is going to confuse people, including travel agents. EM

As I said, one of our party is 70, and the rest of us are in our mid-twenties. It's no issue.

After countless days of searching, I found out that the Carnival Vista, launching next year, is doing an amazing cruise from Barcelona to Athens. It stops in Marseilles, Florence, Rome, Naples (Pompeii), Crete, Rhodes, Izmir and ends in Athens. I wish it stopped in Santorini, but if it isn't a huge deal, then that's alright. The ship actually looks incredible for a Carnival one, and is relatively cheap (although I can't help but take all of this with a huge grain of salt).

So far though, I feel that this is the best one to take:

Celebrity 12 Night Greek/Med Cruise

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-CS12M435?packageid=CS12M435&dest=EUROP&shipCode=CS&shipName=Celebrity%20Constellation&sailDate=1160427&cabincls=OUTSIDE&promoType=80

It REALLY peaks my interest. It stops not only in Rome and Naples, but EVEN VENICE (the only cruise I've found to do so), not to mention a ton of Greek ports including Athens, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Chania, Santorini, Rhodes and even Malta. Quite something. There are only two sea days, but I think we can live with it. It beats nothing, and frankly, it keeps my group excited about always having something new to enjoy. It stops everywhere we wanted to visit, and more. The cost is a bit high considering that it is on the Constellation, but I can definitely live with it considering where it goes. We also get 2 days in Venice at the end out of it, too. Flying to Rome will be costly, as will flying back to Canada from Venice, but so long as we save up, it'll be worthwhile.

I know several of you are asking about budget, etc. I'd like to keep it under $15,000 if possible, and it seems that this will do it. We only wish to stay an extra day in Rome on top of the one included in the cruise, so a safe, comfortable hotel room near the ship for one night shouldn't run us too much.

Edited by nicksfix

• 2 weeks later...

That celebrity cruise looks great! Just know that although the itinerary says day 1 in Rome, it's embarction day, so it's not really a day spent in Rome. You will need to be on the ship by around 3pm at the latest which means you'd only be able to sightsee until around 12pm. It's a good hour drive to the port from the city. I'd advise you to get in at least a couple of days early if you can if you've never been before, there is so much to see in Rome, the Vatican alone will take a full day to do St Peters and the Museum.

One option to look at for flights as well is to fly into Milan and then catch the train to Rome, it's only a 3 hour trip and you get to see some of Tuscany out the window. Or you could squeeze another day or 2 in and stop in Florence on the way down. Italy is well serviced by fast trains so it's quite easy to move from city to city, we saved a huge amount flying into Milan. It's also an option to fly out from again and may be cheaper than an open jaw flight.

Trains are very good in Italy and it is very easy to get a train in between Venice and Rome. If you chosse a cruise that ends in Venice, there is a train that leaves Venice at 2 pm and goes to Florence, and probably on to Rome. This will be one of the high speed Freccia trains. They are cheap and classy!

You should also look at what Princess cruises offer you. We recently did a 14 cruise with Princess that started in Athens and went to Santorini, Heraklion (Crete), Rhodes, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Mykonos, Malta, Messina, Salerno and finished at Civitavecchia. I am thinking that Princess is quite a winner with their itineraries!

To see both Rome and Venice, you need more than one day. But ifyou also want to visit the island of Kea, which seems to be fairly close to Athens, you would want to be in Athens for a day or two. So ... one of your decisions needs to be ... your start and finish point for the cruise.

I don't think you mentioned Istanbul in your post. It is phenomenal if you are interested in history!

Hello, all!

To begin with, we will be flying from Ottawa, Canada. I've never flown before, so that alone is another tango to dance, so to speak. After discussing potential itineraries with my travel companions, we have expressed great interest in visiting the following locations on the cruise. We're fine with 7-14 day trips:

Venice (if possible)

Rome (and Vatican City)

Pompeii

Barcelona

Athens

Santorini

Also, I in particular would like to find a cruise that goes near the island of Kea. I'm an ocean liner buff, and would very much like to pay my respects over the wreck of the HMHS Britannic, Titanic's sunken sister ship, which rests on the seabed near Kea. I know it is quite out of the way, but if there are any cruises that go there, I'm particularly interested in them for certain. If there is a cruise that explores the Greek coastline only and doesn't go to Italy, then that is fine also, so long as I might have a chance to visit Kea.

Our goal is to have a first-person witness to the history and majesty of the Mediterranean, and we are particularly interested in Greece and Italy. We'd love to see the most famous, imposing and picturesque parts of Greece during the cruise, but I'm unsure of which cities to visit (looking to find something along the lines of cliffside cities, sparkling seas, breathtaking views and towering temples, etc.). For Rome, the Vatican City is a must if we stop in Italy, as well as the usual spots such as the Colosseum and whatnot.

Now, on to the choice of line, stateroom, etc. My boyfriend and I are keen to find a crowd that doesn't involve belly-flops, obnoxious hosts deserving of a hard slap or a ship stuffed with party animals fresh out of Wal-Mart that care for little else but where the bars and dance floors are. We aren't against choosing any line, even Carnival. It's just that we'd like to avoid the messy, noisy, rude party boats, and though I know Carnival is typically the bottom rung of the ladder, they do provide lovely staterooms and interior design on their newer ships. We'd love to sail on the Queen Victoria, Quantum/Anthem of the Seas, any MSC or Celebrity ship (breathtaking to say the least) or even smaller lines such as Viking or Windstar, so long as fares don't skyrocket.

We're not picky about the cabin in particular, so long as we at least have an ocean view window of some kind, and comfortable beds. One of those traveling with us is 70, and while active and healthy, I'd imagine he would appreciate a more comfortable bed. If there is a cabin that has enough bed space to comfortably sleep 3 people (not fold out couches, but actual beds), then that is perfectly fine. Also, I have no idea where to begin regarding excursions and don't wish to make this post any longer than it already is going to be (sorry again) by fussing over those details. I just would like to find a very good tour of Athens that covers the must-see spots, and if we go to Rome, then the Vatican City tour needs to be really in-depth, obviously. We would like to enjoy some quality time on the ship, but also be able to get off and experience the culture and tours of the ports the ship stops in. I'm looking for a cruise with many different stops and excursion options that also provides a few days at sea here and there to allow for us to enjoy the ship fully.

I'm really hoping that MSC would be a recommended line to choose, or Cunard, Princess, RC or Celebrity. They are our favourite lines, (MSC/Cunard especially). I'm well aware of the horror stories involving MSC and Celebrity has had a bad rep in the past, so I'm really lost with what to decide upon. MSC has absolutely gorgeous ships, as do Cunard, so those two are at the top of our list. I want to be able to embark upon this trip and be able to truly impress my travel companions, in the hopes of getting them bitten by the cruising bug (neither have never cruised before either and don't expect much).

I apologize for the length of this, once again! I'm looking to hear the experiences of members on here who have chosen similar itineraries and may have some advice on what to choose, what to avoid, what pricing schemes to steer clear from, etc. Also, considering my boyfriend is training to be a chef, I'd like to find a ship that has excellent food, or at least of The Keg restaurant type of quality. Onboard sushi bars and mexican food are huge bonuses, also, as well as a library and affordable excursions.

This is easy: you'd fit right in with the growing number of young professionals choosing Oceania (which you'll find what many seasoned cruisers consider to be the best food at sea). With the understanding that many cosmopolitan travelers happen to live in rural areas with only a Wal-Mart for local shopping, you will not find any "Wal-Mart bellyfloppers" on Oceamia cruises. And the included items in an Oceania fare (e.g., airfare) make the pricing very attractive.

A couple of additional notes. If you want to tour the Vatican, buy your tickets on line. If not the line for those without tickets is 3-4 blocks long. Pre-purchase walks right in.

The countryside in Italy is fantastic. After you choose which line and what cruise date go find your Roll Call here on CC. Join it and see what is being planned by the group. You will find several Private tours which are as good as and most times better than the Ship's excursions and are generally half the cost. The private tours are generally for 9-15 people. The ship's excursions are for 55 in a bus. You will feel like being herded like a cat on a leash in a group of 55.

We did almost all private excursions on our 14 day Eastern Med cruise 2 years ago. Another note on the weather. Go in the spring (April or early May) or the fall (Late September or October) as the summer heat is really hot in the Med.

Good luck with your cruise.

I think the OP is still exploring options. Prior to this inquiry, she was asking about a Viking river cruise in Europe, and since has been asking about cruises to Alaska on Radience of the Seas and Millennium. EM

Oceania is very expensive compared to lines like RCL, Carnival, etc. As well, on a Med cruise, since so much of each day is spent ashore, why spend the extra? O is known for its fine food, but on our Med cruise with O, we usually grabbed a quick breakfast and never ate lunch aboard. If I were to spend the extra money on a cruise with O, I'd choose an itinerary with lots of sea days and few interesting ports.

You are paying for your flights (both ways) anyway, and if you can possibly spare the time, you should add a couple of days both before and after your cruise to explore your starting and ending cities. Please remember too that the day you arrive from Ottawa after a long overnight flight with many time zone changes is pretty much a washout. Even if you youngsters can keep going, your 70 year-old companion won't feel like it. I speak from personal experience, as I'm 66 and did the overnight flight from Ottawa to Venice last fall. Thank goodness my daughter was with me, as I was pretty tired and disoriented. And thank goodness, also, we had planned two days in Venice before the cruise, or we'd have missed the experience of that wonderful city.

Every port in the Med (in my experience) is worth a visit. They are all wonderful and unique, so you can't go wrong, whatever you choose. People say the summers are ferociously hot, and it's no fun trying to see the sights under those conditions. October has been ideal both times I've done this, but spring would probably be fine too. Don't limit yourself to ship's excursions (overpriced). The local tourist industry is experienced and reliable, so hire a local taxi driver or book a tour online. Prices are less and it's a lot more pleasant to be in a small vehicle than in a bus with 50 people. Great info on local tourism providers in the Ports section of CC, and for sure, join the Meet and Mingle (or whatever it's called) for your cruise once you've booked it. You'll meet others you can co-operate on tours with.

After two Med cruises, these are the ports I feel you should not miss:

Athens, amazing: do the Parthenon early when it's cool, as it's a decent hike up to the top, then see the nearby Parthenon Museum to understand. Then enjoy the food and sights in the Plaka, also nearby. You don't need a tour, just take a taxi each way and soak it all in.

Venice: Get a pass for the Vaporetto so you can get on and off at will. Stop often, walk a lot, and then ride on the boat to rest a bit. I can't be bothered with the inside of San Marco or all the other big tourist draws. Being out and around in Venice is enough. Everything is beautiful.

Ephesus (Kusadasi) Turkey: The ruins are gorgeous, fascinating and in excellent shape. Take your time. The market near the pier is full of treasures and trinkets, so browse. We got a taxi for about 4 hours for three of us for $50. He took us to Ephesus, a very old mosque, and for a drive in the countryside. Then we did the market. What a day!

Crete: Whether you port in Iraklion or the other place doesn't matter. Hire a local driver to show you around, then spend some time walking in the town. Have a meal - Greek food is fabulous.

But really, just go, you'll love all of it. Rick Steeves book is amazing - he tells you how to do it yourself, and how to get past the touristy stuff and really feel the places you're visiting.

Save the transAtlantic for another time. Make sure your companions like cruising before you stick them on a ship with so many days without ports.

Have a wonderful time - you have an amazing adventure ahead!

When choosing your cruiseline, I suggest you consider the length of time that you are in port. Although MSC ships are beautiful, the port times are short and would not allow you enough time to discover the places you want to see. Choose the itinerary first. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an English speaker & I sailed with MSC in July & I loved them. English was the first language on the ship as there were so many nationalities on board it was used as a universal language. Every anouncement was made in English, Italian, Spanish, French & German. So you won't have a language problem.

There are loads of amazing places to see all over Europe but not sure how much in depth tours will be available as you are in port for such a short time unless you go with private tours which will be very pricy. I think of cruises as taste tests of places I might like to explore more in depth at a later stage.

Hello, all!

Venice (if possible)

Rome (and Vatican City)

Pompeii

Barcelona

Athens

Santorini

Hopefully you are making progress on your planning. I'm surprised nobody has suggested you look here for info and ask questions; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

You should stop at a travel agency and or do some research as the choices between ships, stops, ports, excursions can be overwhelming.

A plus of cruising is every day a different port. A huge downside is only a day in Rome and other places where one could spend days if not weeks.

As you plan also be careful with budget. Rome is far away from port and thus how you plan to do your port excursions is a factor. DO you a couple hundred dollar a day port budget for the best excursion or are you going to be limited to less than a hundred dollars and public transportation and your feet to see the sights?

My fiancé and I just went through the same process in planning our honeymoon next June! After going back and forth on a number of ideas, we settled on a 10-night Italy & Greek Isles itinerary aboard the Celebrity Reflection. It's the newest ship in the fleet and has a small passenger capacity for a ship of its size, it hits most of the ports we wanted to see, the dates work, and the price point was great for all you get. There is no Venice, but you want to see if the itinerary speaks to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the most amazing trip:

4 nights in Florence on our own (we stayed in a monestary)

Joined a Gate1 escorted tour:

Venice

Tuscany

Amalfi

Rome

(Day trips to Lucca, Siena, cinque terra, Pompeii)

Then I embarked in Rome on the Rhapsody for 7 days-- santorini, Mykonos, Athens, katakolon.

Considering I was there for 25 days (or 26 when I was stranded in Montreal due to a cancelled flight)-- actually price was reasonable. And it was the trip of a lifetime!!

Edited by denatravels