Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Ya All must be trying on your skinny jeans and sweaters for fall .... [emoji6][emoji5]️

Because this sure is quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaHa! Not trying on those skinny jeans just yet!

I have, I think started getting my groove back, though! Took some time to force myself off the carbs but now I'm past the worst of it and have lost around 5 of the 25 I need to get back where I was. Gradually working back up on my Insanity workouts a few times a week, also. It's going pretty good but I am having trouble turning this hyper ketone brain off and sleeping along with feeling a little overheated. Hoping this is a good sign that my metabolism is cranking up? Taking Vitamin D, Magnesium and melatonin at night . Supposedly, this should calm down in a while.

New study out by NIH showing that the low carb group versus low fat group had better heart health risk numbers, less inflammation markers, and more weight loss/ no muscle loss after a year on low carb. Great news! Gives me more confidence that I'm doing right by my body!

My next cruise isn't till Sept 2015, but I am trying to change my mindset and realize that I need to STAY low carb for life for my health! Ain't getting any younger. On a side note, my left side under my ribs was giving me some pain especially after eating and has not bothered me since a few days after sticking to LC. Thinking maybe my pancreas? I have 2 siblings that have had pancreatitis and my sister's is chronic. Also another sibling who we have little contact with is in bad shape from food, past alcohol and drug abuse, and is now diabetic.

Hoping this WOE keeps the doctor at bay for me!

So.. I'm at the Dr... Right now... The scale was friendly!! THE FIRST time in Years!! At the Dr office... Like this number is going in my chart!!! Ok, I'm a little excited!!

I so want to book a cruise .... Sigh....

And Atkins was on TV this morning with Weight Watchers & South Beach .... That diets don't work for long term! Did you see it?

Today report said that if you do not make life style changes the weight comes back.

Yup... It does.

I have to say that with the lifestyle change I made 10 years ago with learning the Carbs vs calories reasoning...

I have made lifestyle changes! Keep passing the bread basket, limit the white foods! Things like that, I believe have helped me with my weight issues! I left my Dr visit with 2 less medications!! Yahoo! That my friends is success!!

And with that ... Time to get the shoes on and hit the tread mill!! Have a great day!!

I have made lifestyle changes! Keep passing the bread basket, limit the white foods! Things like that, I believe have helped me with my weight issues! I left my Dr visit with 2 less medications!! Yahoo! That my friends is success!!

Yes!! Excellent!! Thank you for sharing this, Jean.

I firmly believe that without finding Atkins 15 years ago (holy moly! I feel old!!) I would be having a much harder time avoiding the fate of much of my extended family--morbid obesity. I have no doubt I would also be diabetic.

Best of all, I'm "skinny on the inside", with blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride numbers that make my doctors ask me how I do it. They're amazed at what they see and want my secret!:p

I knew the first time I read the book that this was a way I could eat right for life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And it's New Years!!! Who has thrown out any goodies and your stocking up with low carb foods?

I have been consistent with my walking, some weights and lots of busy!!

Hope 2015 is a great and healthy year for all of you!

Hugs!

Jean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lisa... For me... The induction of at least 2 weeks of 50 carbs a day... Is such a cleansing and knowing what I 'was' eating and how it was effecting me! It was also a simple way to get started... And I knew that will power and planning was going to have to be a part of my daily eating times! ...

With that... I hope everyone is doing well and hope you have great Cruises planned for 2015!

• 3 weeks later...

Back to atkins. I lost some weight years ago on Atkins so thought I would start my diet off by getting rid of all the carbs and garbage I was carrying around from my cruise and do a week or 2 of atkins first. Wow! I forgot how good you feel and no hunger pangs. Been 5 days and I lost 6 Lbs. Hope I can stick with it this time.

I have done Atkins in the past and yes it works short term. For me now it doesnt. I am to active doing hard core classes daily , walking 12 k a day, I find using my fitness pal more beneficial. Keeping track on everything that I drink and eat, calorie Burn etc, really opens your eyes. I gained a lot of muscle and lost inches. I feel great while eating well and having a few drinks to. It is a lifestyle change that is for sure. The last cruise I went on I payed for the boot camp plus the trx class, yes some days 2 a day. But didn't feel guilty and enjoyed the cruise. Leaving next Thursday for 2 cruises 20 days, planning to do the same. So I guess what works for one may not work for you. As my trainer says you need to eat or you won't lose. She was right.

• 3 months later...

Wondering if anyone has been successful lately in their WOE ( way of eating )! I have a cruise booked for the end of August, first of September...

This is the best plan for me to feel & look my best. My 'numbers' are pretty good compared to my contemporaries...no meds, no major complaints at the moment,( tho I know life is fickle & things can change...)

Used to enjoy chatting w/ others ~ recipes, ideas, exercise, etc...

There are many so many conflicting ideas about what is a good eating plan & many have been discussed on this board, but feel free to join in if any have any current success!:)

I've been back on the Atkins diet for 10 weeks now and have lost 23 pounds. I have 24 more to go to reach my goal before my Panama cruise Dec. 5, 2015. I am planning to have some formal pictures taken that I actually won't hate! I have a history of Cushing's disease which caused a huge weight gain before I had the brain tumors causing it removed in 2007. That with having hypothyroid has always caused me to be bigger than I would like. Would love to share with others who are working toward looking better for their upcoming cruises!

Tamera

Anyone have any "new ideas" for low carb desserts/sweet treats. My husband is a dessert/sweet fanatic but the doctor has recently told him he needs to try to go low carb/low sugar/Mediterranean/avoid sugars and flour, etc. So I need new ideas for "sweet treats".

Anyone have any "new ideas" for low carb desserts/sweet treats. My husband is a dessert/sweet fanatic but the doctor has recently told him he needs to try to go low carb/low sugar/Mediterranean/avoid sugars and flour, etc. So I need new ideas for "sweet treats".

Look up a black bean brownie recipe. There are different versions but low in carbs. It does have some sugar in them but no flour. The high fibre and protein helps keep your sugar from spiking too much. I make them for my family all the time and they have no clue it is made from beans :)

My favorite sweet treat is a mix of berries, sweetened with Stevia and bathing in a bowl of freshly whipped cream. YUM!!

Cerabella ~ at this point, my way of eating is just holding off the catastrophe that would happen if I ate more carbs. I haven't lost any weight for a long time, even when below 20g of carbs and exercising 3-5x/week. Doctor believes it's perimenopause, and that when I'm finished I'll be able to drop weight again. SIGH.

My favorite sweet treat is a mix of berries, sweetened with Stevia and bathing in a bowl of freshly whipped cream. YUM!!

Cerabella ~ at this point, my way of eating is just holding off the catastrophe that would happen if I ate more carbs. I haven't lost any weight for a long time, even when below 20g of carbs and exercising 3-5x/week. Doctor believes it's perimenopause, and that when I'm finished I'll be able to drop weight again. SIGH.

I second the 'berry whip' dessert ~ DH whipped this up in the NutriBullet sans the Stevia recently & it was delish!

A favorite of mine recently was 'chocolate dipped bacon'....mmm...I roast my bacon in the oven on parchment paper, less mess, melted some dark chocolate ( 85%) , dipped, chilled ...

Of course, a staple for DH is low carb ice cream. He likes a bowl a couple times a week. (btw, he recently dropped 15 lbs...grrr...that GUY thing...)

Lisa ~ we seem to be in the same boat - I want to blame it on perimenopause, sluggish thyroid or something...lately I have had purple sticks ( I like to check ever so often) & I just maintain, maintain, maintain...up 2, down 3, up 3, down 1...blah blah blah...I am hoping consistency keeps me semi-healthy...starting to add some Barre & pilates this week gradually...slow & steady ;)

I've been back on the Atkins diet for 10 weeks now and have lost 23 pounds. I have 24 more to go to reach my goal before my Panama cruise Dec. 5, 2015.

Tamera

Congratulations on your weight loss. It is wonderful to have such success & you are half way there!

I need to make a grocery run & restock low carb essentials. It is so helpful to have these items available so I won't make bad choices...

I have been picking fresh lettuce & baby kale from my own container garden. Since ETexas is getting hot, like near 100, my plants won't last much longer. I baked some kale, asparagus & brussells sprouts together for supper last night & grilled chicken. I didn't want to heat up my kitchen, but, oh well... It was delish...(isn't it perplexing when you have a 'mess' or bunch of kale & it just kinda cooks down to little of nothing...:confused:)

Thanks...I'm continuing to do well. I keep boiled eggs handy for snacks and really like the Atkins shakes which I have almost every morning for breakfast. I work full time as a nurse and also own/run a B&B/lodge here in Alaska and currently have 31 guests! So anything quick and easy is the key! I make breakfast for the guests but always something I can't have...although my husband loves the summers when he gets great breakfast options. He is one of those that eats constantly and never seems to gain any weight...I can look at what he eats and gain weight..SOOOOO not fair! Looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise in December!!!

• 2 weeks later...