It seems so confusing....

midwestchick

markeb ~

The maps in Frommer's New York Day by Day (not to be confused with other Frommer's New York guidebooks) are exceptionally good, and several of them show (and clearly label) specific neighborhoods and districts within a larger area so that the user can see these neighborhoods' proximity to one another. In addition to a fold-out map of Manhattan from 110th Street/Central Park North to 14th Street in the inside front cover, and numerous smaller maps throughout the book, there's also a larger laminated map of Manhattan up to 102nd Street that can be removed from a plastic pouch at the back of the book. Numerous places of interest (e.g., museums, theatres, restaurants, parks, etc.) are identified in these maps, and street names/avenue numbers are clearly marked. A terrific resource for the tourist, and endless fascination for map nerds such as myself!:D

I'll put that one in my kit bag! Most of the guide books don't do that, so you can end up retracing steps because you didn't realize something you wanted to see was RIGHT there.

Thanks. Not sure how much time we really need to spend in the financial district.

I am considering On Board Tours for one of the days. I did buy the Street Wise map today at Barnes and Noble. Now I need to try and figure out the train. We'll be using the PATH from Jersey City.

I'm a type A personality....and I' sure it shows. ;)

Lower Manhattan (where the ferry to SOL) it is easy to get confused because the streets are winding and have names. This is the original NYC when the Dutch first settled. Once you get to the grid, which is the numbered streets, it's easy. The Hudson River is the most West, the East River the most East. Fifth Avenue is the dividing line between East and West. The higher the number in the address, the further away from Fifth Avenue and the closer to the river. The street numbers go from low ( south) to high (north).

We are also staying in Jersey City. I'd like to go into NYC to see the World Trade Center and 9/11 memorial. What other sights are near there? We were thinking of taking a Grayline tour but we don't even land at JFK until 11:30. We would have to take a car service to our hotel, drop off the luggage and catch the PATH back into the city so I don't think the Grayline is our best option. Thoughts?

i haven't seen it mentioned, but when you hit off Midtown try to at least do a quick walk through Central Park. It's absolutely amazing and something many of us NY'ers take for granted.

If we do the On Board Tour, it does go to Central Park. It looks like a beautiful park.

We are also staying in Jersey City. I'd like to go into NYC to see the World Trade Center and 9/11 memorial. What other sights are near there? We were thinking of taking a Grayline tour but we don't even land at JFK until 11:30. We would have to take a car service to our hotel, drop off the luggage and catch the PATH back into the city so I don't think the Grayline is our best option. Thoughts?

Look at a guidebook for the lower Manhattan area. It's a small area with old narrow streets. IMO best seen on foot rather than a tour bus. There's City Hall, the Woolworth building, Wall St., Trinity Church and graveyard, the new Freedom Tower, Federal Hall, the Federal Reserve Bank, Fraunces Tavern, Bowling Green Park, Battery Park, the free Staten Island Ferry, and the South Street Seaport.