Favorite ship for seeing eastern mediterranian

Ldanna

"Best" is totally subjective. For me, the itinerary was the most important factor. The ship had to visit ports i wanted to see and had to be in port long enough for planned activities. After that i looked at smaller ships and read MANY reviews.

Agree with Mapleleaves. For this type of port intensive itinerary, we think the itinerary (posts, time in ports, which day of the week in ports, etc) are the major factor. Once you find your favorite itinerary or itineraries, then make you choice based on ship and cost.

Hank

You have been given good advice.

Best varies by person.

I would been finding the itinerary that you prefer sailing.

From there look at which ships sail it and decide which one is "best" for you. That could come down to price, size of ship, amenities offered and/or a wide range of other items.

Keith

We have two kinds of travel. Vacation: we usually sit around on a beach all day reading. Travel: we spend most of the day sightseeing and learning about new cultures. You'll be off the ship most of the day.

So I agree with the responses saying to pick your ports and time in port and then the ship. Most people spend all day sightseeing and come back to the ship fairly exhausted.

You have been given good advice.

Best varies by person.

I would been finding the itinerary that you prefer sailing.

From there look at which ships sail it and decide which one is "best" for you. That could come down to price, size of ship, amenities offered and/or a wide range of other items.

Keith

Thanks for reminding me!!

If you get the itinerary you like...and it's on a cruise line you like, your ship will be just fine. That said, there are a few things to consider doing a Mediterranean cruise rather than, say, a Caribbean cruise. Sometimes, when we cruise the Caribbean, we are really there just for the cruise...the ports can be somewhat irrelevant. We may be cruising with kids. The ship's amenities become more of the show than the itinerary. Those big RCCL ships with surfing and ice rinks and rock climbing become more of the attraction than the ports...so does the entertainment with the ice shows and the water shows and the Broadway shows.

But, when cruising in Europe, the ship really becomes secondary. We look for itineraries with long days in port--where we can enjoy a lot of the culture and history and art and architecture. The ship becomes more of a hotel/transportation. We just want it to be comfortable and relaxing between those long port visits. Some place to get back to, have drinks, enjoy a nice meal and get some sleep. So, though I enjoy the large RCCL ships--in their place, in Europe, I prefer a Celebrity ship or an Oceania ship. More relaxed.

There are a few small side benefits to a smaller ship as well. In some ports, they simply cannot accommodate large ships...so there are ports you will only get to on a small ship. Others, it becomes a docking versus tender thing. For example, we've visited Kotor, Montenegro twice. First time, on Oceania Nautica, a 30,000 gross ton, 680 passenger ship, we were able to dock right in Kotor, steps from the city gate. When we visited on Celebrity Silhouette, a 122,000 gross ton, 2,850 passenger ship, we had to anchor off shore and tender in. Not a decision-making difference, but something to consider. Also consider the effects on a port when 600 people disembark and head into town versus 3,000 or more. Of course, realize, you may not be the only ship in port. It takes away that advantage if you are a small ship and four large ships join you in port that day... In any event, there are no really bad choices...

Pick a cruise line you like and check out their itineraries. If there's something you like, book it. But, really, look at itinerary first--which ports, hours in ports, etc. Embarkation and Disembarkation ports can also be important...When going to Europe, we often like to find cruises that end in a different port than where they started...because we like to spend a little extra time on both ends of the cruise. For example, when we cruised a Dover to Rome cruise a few years back, we were able to spend 5 days in England pre-cruise and 4 in Rome after the cruise. Also, consider the "at sea" days...It's nice to have a couple of those interspersed in your itinerary. When you are in really interesting ports for 3 or 4 days in a row taking full day tours, doing a lot of walking in what can be a hot environment, it's nice to have a relaxing at sea day in between to recuperate a bit... Good luck...

I agree with the others here. The Med is port intensive where most mornings you are off the ship by 8am and don't get back on until 5 or 6pm. At that point, about all you want is a shower and a nice dinner and to pass out in bed in order to get up the next morning and do a bunch of touring again. On a Med cruise the ship literally becomes a floating hotel. So what you need from the ship is much simpler than a Caribbean cruise:

1. Comfortable bed and place to shower and keep your stuff.

2. Competent Breakfast

3. Competent Dinner

In addition, the excursions in port can be quite expensive in the Med - often several hundred per person per day. So it's best to get on your roll call and book private excursions with others on your cruise. The ship's excursions tend to be more expensive and operate at the speed of the slowest person in the group - often someone on a walker. As a result, they are slow and crowded and you don't get to see as much as you would if there were only 6 - 8 people on your tour. In addition, you can plan your tour so that you see the things you are specifically interested in.

Given the expense of excursions and the time you will spend on land (usually all but 1 day in a 7 day cruise), it is best to choose a less expensive cruise and spend your money saved on your excursions. What is less expensive to you depends on your budget for the whole trip. Find the best deal you can and plan accordingly.

Itinerary certainly is key, but you do still have to spend every evening, night, morning and sea days on the ship, going to shows, eating meals, enjoying your room, etc, so writing it off as some mere mode of transportation only, I think, is not good advice at all. Otherwise, you might as well just take ferries.

There's some good advice in this thread. Decide what ports you want to visit, then pick the line that best suits your likes. Being on the wrong ship is a quick and easy way to ruin your whole vacation so while it's the second priority, its still a big one.

Why would RCI be out? There's nothing wrong with RCI on a European cruise. If that's the line you like and they are going to the ports you want, then they'd be a good choice for you. I also like RCI. However, like Bruin Steve said, I tend to prefer lines like Celebrity for Europe. The tad better service and food just seem to compliment Europe well. Plus, they still have good entertainment on board for your evenings.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Thank you! Y'all are so right, that's what I keep hearing and I relate that to our Alaskan cruise!!! Looks like Royal may not be the best choice!!! Thanks again!!

We did RCI Rhapsody of the Sea and it was good. We chose it because it sailed out of Venice and included a fantastic selection of ports which included Katakolon, Chania, Athens, Thessaloniki, Ephesus, Rhodes, Dubrovnik, and ending with an overnight in Venice.

This year we're doing the NCL Spirit with some buddies out of Rome to Livorno, Cagliari, Heraklion, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, Valletta, Messina, and Naples. Both were chosen because of itinerary and value.

We have also cruise Celebrity, MSC, Costa, and Princess in Europe and all were good experiences based on itinerary and value.

How can ship be best or worst for specific destination? :rolleyes:

Sometimes the size of the ship prevents it from visiting some great ports. Just a question. The allure, oasis for example don't visit a lot of Caribbean ports cause they are too large.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have any thoughts about the new Carnival Horizon coming next year?

It will be a grand overcrowded zoo in the Carnival tradition...

4,716 passengers (at full capacity...and, trust me, Carnival tends to fill its 3rd and 4th berths to full capacity) in only 133,500 gross tons for a woeful 28 gross tons per passenger ratio (WAY too crowded). The buffet will have a seating capacity of only 825 (Good luck there). The two MDRs have a combined capacity of 2,176--so, not enough to seat everyone in two seatings...I guess they are counting on many to eat in the specialty restaurants or buffet.

Of its 1965 cabins, a whopping 678 will be insides...almost 35%. Another 293 are OVs (15%). Less than half the cabins are verandas or suites...So, there will be plenty of cheap cabins for the Carnival passengers...Passenger cabins are spread out over 12 different decks.

Compare to Anthem of the seas--similar number of passengers (Anthem carries 4162 at double occupancy, 4819 at full--but, unlike Carnival, RCCL usually cruises a little less than full)...so, anticipate same number of passengers, but with over 25% more space. Only 367 of Anthem's 2,090 cabins are insides. (1,570 balconies and 194 suites).

As typical with Carnival, the Horizon will be far too crowded for me...

How can ship be best or worst for specific destination? :rolleyes:

Actually, some ships are/may be better for specific destinations. For example, size plays an important role in whether tendering will be required in certain ports.

Of course, itinerary and port time are also key considerations. But, the folks who discount the importance of cruise line/ship choice seem to forget that, after a long day ashore, the ship is your dinner restaurant and overnight lodging. Wouldn't anyone want the best accommodations they can afford?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Itinerary certainly is key, but you do still have to spend every evening, night, morning and sea days on the ship, going to shows, eating meals, enjoying your room, etc, so writing it off as some mere mode of transportation only, I think, is not good advice at all. Otherwise, you might as well just take ferries.

There's some good advice in this thread. Decide what ports you want to visit, then pick the line that best suits your likes. Being on the wrong ship is a quick and easy way to ruin your whole vacation so while it's the second priority, its still a big one.

Why would RCI be out? There's nothing wrong with RCI on a European cruise. If that's the line you like and they are going to the ports you want, then they'd be a good choice for you. I also like RCI. However, like Bruin Steve said, I tend to prefer lines like Celebrity for Europe. The tad better service and food just seem to compliment Europe well. Plus, they still have good entertainment on board for your evenings.

Good luck with your choice. :)

Thanks for all the god info, makes me feel better!!

;);), I can tell already, I think the same way so I'm taking in all of your advice!!

It will be a grand overcrowded zoo in the Carnival tradition...

4,716 passengers (at full capacity...and, trust me, Carnival tends to fill its 3rd and 4th berths to full capacity) in only 133,500 gross tons for a woeful 28 gross tons per passenger ratio (WAY too crowded). The buffet will have a seating capacity of only 825 (Good luck there). The two MDRs have a combined capacity of 2,176--so, not enough to seat everyone in two seatings...I guess they are counting on many to eat in the specialty restaurants or buffet.

Of its 1965 cabins, a whopping 678 will be insides...almost 35%. Another 293 are OVs (15%). Less than half the cabins are verandas or suites...So, there will be plenty of cheap cabins for the Carnival passengers...Passenger cabins are spread out over 12 different decks.

Compare to Anthem of the seas--similar number of passengers (Anthem carries 4162 at double occupancy, 4819 at full--but, unlike Carnival, RCCL usually cruises a little less than full)...so, anticipate same number of passengers, but with over 25% more space. Only 367 of Anthem's 2,090 cabins are insides. (1,570 balconies and 194 suites).

As typical with Carnival, the Horizon will be far too crowded for me...