Updated Rome Itinerary- Is it Doable?

#eurovirgin

Ok, I've kinda reworked my plan for Rome recently, based on what I've decided means the most to me about being there. So we get into port at 8:00. I'm thinking off the ship by 8:45? The RS guide I have says plan on 1.5 hrs from ship to Rome. Is that accurate? If so, I'm thinking we arrive at Ostiense station by 10:15/30.

I was thinking we'd sort of breeze past the ancient sites- Colosseum, Forum, etc. I want to see them but an in depth tour isn't our priority considering time constraints. So I was thinking 10:30-11:30 for that.

Then I thought we'd do the Heart of Rome walk plus lunch somewhere in there. I was thinking 11:30-2 for the stroll plus lunch. Then we head to Vatican Museums. I was thinking 2:30-4:30 there (we will get advance tickets), then head back to train station by 5. That puts us back at port by 6:30-7:00 (I don't know final boarding time; it just says we are there 8am-8pm).

I would do everything in my power to get off the ship as quickly as possible. Next, depending on where your ship is berthed, you'll need to either walk from the ship to the train station (this is only good if you are in one of the southernmost berths, 9 - 12) or take the port shuttle to the Via Turco exit and either walk or take a bus one mile from there to the station.

This map of the port will give you some perspective on the berths but note that the top of this map is actually EAST, not north, so it's a little confusing. http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/it/mappa-del-porto

If you can, shoot for the 8:56 (arriving 10:06) train because the next regional isn't until 9:58 (arriving 11:06).

Or you can arrange for a private transfer from the port to Rome with a company like romecabs for approx 160 euro

You can train it back

Or do the reverse

If you are 3 or more think convenience although I know the regulars on this board are proponents of diy consider the simplicity of having a car right there for you

Sometimes it's not about money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can, shoot for the 8:56 (arriving 10:06) train because the next regional isn't until 9:58 (arriving 11:06).

Yikes, I didn't know that... I have no way to predict how long it will take us to get off the ship unfortunately...

Also, where are you getting your schedule info? I looked online and saw a lot more options. I was looking at the Trenitalia site.

Edited by #eurovirgin
needed to add something

I'm using Trenitalia and limiting the search to Roma Ostiense station. There is only one train between the 8:59 and 9:43 regionals and it's an IC train (at 9:24, arriving 10:18). You could certainly use this train but it's almost two and a half times the cost of the regional train, you can't use the BIRG ticket on it, and it takes just as long as the regional train. However, it does get you there a half hour faster than waiting for the next regional so it's probably worth the extra money.

Opening the search up to Termini adds one more train, a Frecce at 9:16 that gets to Termini at 10:03 (at more than three times the cost of the regional train).

Yikes, I didn't know that... I have no way to predict how long it will take us to get off the ship unfortunately...

Also, where are you getting your schedule info? I looked online and saw a lot more options. I was looking at the Trenitalia site.

For port stops, you can nearly always count on being able to get off the ship just a few minutes after docking. It doesn't take them long to clear it.

If it were me, I'd be waiting by whatever door they'll be using for disembarkating by 7:45.

My simple answer is no. For instance you have left out some of the time you will need between points. If you get off the ship at say 8:45 you will not then be on the train. Depending on where in the port you are you likely will need the shuttle to the port gate. This does not happen instantaneously as the shuttle driver waits until he has a certain number of people before departing. Then you need 15-20 minutes to walk to the train station. I am not sure of your date but on weekends there are fewer trains on this route as it is a commuter run. Once in Rome your concept might work, but here is the hooker. Last May on our trip in there was a problem on the track so our train sat for 45 mins before taking an alternate route which bipassed certain stations but at least went to Ostiense. Also remember that once at the train station you still need to catch the Metro to the ruins.

On the back end for an 8:00pm final boarding will be at 7:30 or possibly earlier. Also you will have to repeat all of the connections off the train unless you opt to grab a cab from the station to the port.

I do not want to be a pessimist but I generally advise people that trying to see both Ancient Rome and the Vatican complex in one day from the port is a hard and risky proposition. I usually recommend picking one and then adding in a walk of other sites for the rest of the day. With the walk you can adjust your time as things happen.

Good luck.

I do not want to be a pessimist but I generally advise people that trying to see both Ancient Rome and the Vatican complex in one day from the port is a hard and risky proposition. I usually recommend picking one and then adding in a walk of other sites for the rest of the day. With the walk you can adjust your time as things happen.

Good luck.

This is sound advice. There are too many variables involved with trying to do 'Rome-all-in-a-day' from port. One needs to ask themselves "How much stress is it worth to try and fit in all of these sites?"

Sure I understand for some that visiting Rome may be only a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but Rome wasn't built in a day and it's most popular tourist sites can't be visited all in one day.

Pick one or the other. The Coliseum/Forum/Palatine Hill or the Vatican museums/St. Peters, and as suggested above, some of the sites in the central area(Campo de Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain/nearby churches etc.).

A whirlwind tour might seem nice in theory to 'cover the bucketlist bases', but how much is one really going to appreciate the Clark Griswold method of sightseeing while feeling like they're in an episode of the 'Amazing Race' trying to fit it all in?

Yeah, it might be disheartening to miss one of these two main areas, but it will give one a reason to visit the Eternal City again.

There's no point in going to a place simply to be able to state that one has seen it if they really didn't have enough time to really see it.

If dead set on doing both. Shell out the money for taxis or a private custom tour that can get one direct to the sites and back to port. Trying to set a timetable using public transpo w/ so many other variables that all have to click perfectly just seems like way too stressful of a day. -- And this is coming from a guy that likes to do a lot in ports-of-call.

're your idea for the museum:

Even with pre-purchaded tickets there are lines. Don't expect to just waltz in. Then there will be bottle necks at some points in the museum where you can't just run through.

It sounds like a majorly stressful day to me.

• 2 weeks later...

3 years ago we did a med cruise and Rome was one of the stops. I organized a tour with Rome Cabs for 8 people. Worked out to 125 Euro per person and we had a driver/guide for the day and a nine passenger Mercedes van. We told the company in advance what we wanted our itinerary to be and the driver picked us up ship side and headed out and we did just what we wanted and he dropped us off ship side. It was great.

It's just not possible the Vatican museums alone will take at least half a day. We spent five days in Rome recently and barely scratched the surface. You are much better off deciding on two attractions to experience them properly

OP you have absolutely no chance of acheiving what you want in a day.

I have just spent four days in Rome. Yesterday we went to The Vatican, booking the day before for a late afternoon tour.

From meeting our guide to actually seeing anything inside the Vatican Museum took an hour. This included 15 minute walk to the entrance then 30 minutes queuing for tickets (all pre booking does is get you past the huge line) and 15 to queue to get through the entrance lobby to the galleries. If you DIY you also have the problem of not knowing the system for getting a ticket, it looked far from straightforward with lots of different lines and booths and you won't know your way around.

You are then part of an ever moving crowd and have to go with the flow, but you still need to allow at least 3 hours to just scratch the surface of the museum, see the Sistine and the Basilica and Popes tombs.

To fit in Coloseum, Palatine Hill etc in an hour would also be impossible We queued for 30 minutes for a ticket and were there for 9am. You can't breeze through the Palatine Hill and Forum, it's vast. I was disappointed we couldn't get to Circus Maximus as it was just too much ground to cover.

The two areas are also some distance apart so you need to factor in travel time. Metro is quickest, but Vatican station is a distance away. Buses are OK if you can work out which one to catch (not easy), taxis easiest, but you are then in Rome traffic. I walked about 25 miles over 4 days.

Do the Vatican, anything else in depth is a bonus.

A whirlwind tour might seem nice in theory to 'cover the bucketlist bases', but how much is one really going to appreciate the Clark Griswold method of sightseeing while feeling like they're in an episode of the 'Amazing Race' trying to fit it all in?....

OMG! I thought I was the only one who used the National Lampoon for a reference! We call it "doing a Chevy Chase" somewhere. It comes from the first NLV movie, where they get to the Grand Canyon, do a 2-second look and then leave. Then, when do the quickie through the Louve in Paris in the second NLV- that was doing Europe Chevy-Chase style! I do like the addition of The Amazing Race into it!!! It adds a bit of the "ugly American" into it - pushing, shoving, screaming, being rude, oblivious to surroundings...

Regarding the DIY method for the Vatican Museums: It is actually pretty easy. Buy your designated time ticket from the official Vatican site on line. You just wait in the designated queue for your timed entry right at the Entrance (how early you get there is up to you - I got there 10 minutes before my time). When your time comes, you just walk in and go to a ticket window and exchange your reservation for a ticket. Then, off you go! No having to wait for a guide and the others in your group somewhere other than the front of the Museums and walking around to the entry.

Forget the Vatican museum

I would say book with Rome Cabs and do the following...

Tour via air conditioned mini van...drive by...

Colesieum...outside view and photo stop

Forum...from the hill and your driver will know what to do and you will be able to get out and marvel at it. The forum is best toured this way btw imho

Circus Maximus..photo op..but this can just be a drive by

The pantheon...driver can stop and you can walk inside as there are no lines. Then you can enjoy the piazza and some gelato

Spanish steps ....quick photo stop

Trevi...quick photo stop

Then high tail it over to St. Peter's and visit the basilica inside but be dressed properly

Worst case you just get to see the piazza but will have great photo ops anyway

Perhaps a quick lunch stop by I would just eat a huge breakfast. Of course if you want a nice lunch stop go for it and do order the house wine. Italy keeps their best wine and does not export it. You can tell the difference

Lunch might be doable either way but just don't waste time elsewhere Have that gelato for instance at your other Italy ports.

And if you are really lucky and have enough time do ask your driver to quickly drive you Down the via Appia Antica to really feel the presence of Ancient Rome. Watch the movie Spartacus before you go and then just visualize the crosses on the appian way

Back to ship

Start as early as possible

Pay what they ask

Tip 10% if you care to

And don't worry....your driver will get you back to the ship

If I recall correctly they also guarantee to get you to the next port if the worst case happens. Of course this isn't exactly a stretch for them as it's usually Livorno or Naples and they will probably put you up overnight at a cute hotel or a friends house. Lol that would be a story!!!

I would think saying....doing a Clark Griswold .....

But that's just me.

I always have my Clark Griswold moment on my front lawn around December 4th. Lol

I know. Somehow we use Chevy Chase - it rolls off my tongue better. Plus, it is a little code.

Ah, the Christmas lights...