Is there a way to upgrade to GoldStar class Anchorage to Seward?

alwaysfrantic

I kept thinking an "excursion" would pop up offering the upgrade in train to the port. But it never did. Is there anyway to get into the domed cars short of forfeiting our included ticket and buying a new one? Could we even do that as part of the tour or if our seats were empty would they not take our luggage and get us from the train to checkin at the port?

Can anyone who has done the HAL cruise train from Anchorage to Seward tell us what the HAL experience was like. Does HAL have the dome cars for this part of the journey?

Yes, we did the HAL cruise train from Anchorage to Seward in 2015. All the cars have windows that curve up into the roof, I don't know how the dome car would improve the view. I have a couple of photos that show that but unfortunately I'm not techy enough to post them here. The trip is quite scenic & I don't think we missed out an any view by not being in a dome car. Anything else I can help you with?

Yes, we did the HAL cruise train from Anchorage to Seward in 2015. All the cars have windows that curve up into the roof, I don't know how the dome car would improve the view. I have a couple of photos that show that but unfortunately I'm not techy enough to post them here. The trip is quite scenic & I don't think we missed out an any view by not being in a dome car. Anything else I can help you with?

Thanks for your response. We will be on this HAL transfer from Anchorage to Seward in June and I was expecting the rail cars you described. We've taken the bus a few times and this will be our first Turnagain Arm rail trip. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather is sunny and clear!

Thanks for your response. We will be on this HAL transfer from Anchorage to Seward in June and I was expecting the rail cars you described. We've taken the bus a few times and this will be our first Turnagain Arm rail trip. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather is sunny and clear!

Which cruise will you be on?

Which cruise will you be on?

Noordam June 25. The transfer is included as the last leg of our Yukon cruisetour. HAL does a great job on their cruisetours and I'm sure this will be part of a wonderful adventure! I'm also looking forward to my first cruise on the Noordam

Noordam June 25. The transfer is included as the last leg of our Yukon cruisetour. HAL does a great job on their cruisetours and I'm sure this will be part of a wonderful adventure! I'm also looking forward to my first cruise on the Noordam

I'm on the ship the week before, at the end of our first cruise tour. We have been on the Noordam before though.

Glad to hear you like their land portions. We have never done anything like it before; my husband isn't much of a group person but he booked the trip for me <3. I think he is happy at the prospect of not lugging suitcases from place to place though!

In the past did you just travel with a back pack of essentials and the tour handled your suitcase each morning? Do they take the join me on the ship suitcase the first morning?

I'm on the ship the week before, at the end of our first cruise tour. We have been on the Noordam before though.

Glad to hear you like their land portions. We have never done anything like it before; my husband isn't much of a group person but he booked the trip for me <3. I think he is happy at the prospect of not lugging suitcases from place to place though!

In the past did you just travel with a back pack of essentials and the tour handled your suitcase each morning? Do they take the join me on the ship suitcase the first morning?

HAL will handle the luggage for you. They will pick it up at your room at the time they tell you to have it ready. It will be delivered to your room at your next destination. I take a backpack size carry on with the things that I need to keep with me at all times and what I think I will need for the day. Both the bus and the train are very nice and have plenty of space at your feet for your bag.

As far as the "meet me at the ship" bag, that will depend on your itinerary. For the Yukon we had an international flight between Dawson City and Fairbanks so all of our luggage had to travel with us. We just never had to open the one we had packed for the ship.

Holland America has a huge presence in Alaska. You will have a great time!

Edited by oaktreerb