Carnival Dream multiple Qs

LandsharkFrenzy

My wife and I have a balcony room on the Dream, Deck 7. Did I do well? I'd heard that because the suites are on this floor that the stewards would probably be better (if there is a thing). Also, that it is insulated by rooms above and below for reduction of noise.

We know very little of the eating situation, but from research and reading threads here, it doesn't seem that we'll starve by a long shot. Are reservations needed to be made for the MDR for dinner? How expensive are the dining options that aren't included with fare (Bonsai Sushi for example)?

We applied for passports two weeks ago, so we can't check-in online yet. After doing so, will we be able to see what each day's activities are that have been planned? I'd like to know which night is considered elegant, which shows are available on which nights, which movies are showing on certain nights, etc.

We plan to purchase the middle wifi package. This is due to mainly wanting those that are watching our (then)3yo daughter having a means to contact us. We know we can use the ship's app to chat ($5). Would it be smarter for just ONE of us to get the internet package since we can communicate with the app?

We will also be purchasing the Cheers! package. When does it begin...as soon as we board...as soon as we leave New Orleans...some other time?

Besides our balcony, is there anywhere on the Dream that we will be able to sit in the DARK and stargaze? It's my understanding that most areas are lit in some fashion.

What is the boarding like? Do they go through your suitcase and carry on? As we were not able to buy the FTTF, what type of time frame would we be looking at considering it will be mid-July (which I assume means more people)?

That's all I have for now! Thanks In Advance!

Landshark (soon to be cruise shark)

Edited by LandsharkFrenzy

My wife and I have a balcony room on the Dream, Deck 7. Did I do well? I'd heard that because the suites are on this floor that the stewards would probably be better (if there is a thing). Also, that it is insulated by rooms above and below for reduction of noise.

Not sure about the stewards, I've had awesome stewards on every cruise I've been on, regardless of whether there are suites nearby. But yes, as long as you aren't above or below a large public area or the galley, it will probably be a good room.

We know very little of the eating situation, but from research and reading threads here, it doesn't seem that we'll starve by a long shot. Are reservations needed to be made for the MDR for dinner? How expensive are the dining options that aren't included with fare (Bonsai Sushi for example)?

You don't have to make reservations, but you will be assigned (or you'll choose) either early, late, or Your Time. Early and late have specific times you have to show up. Your Time is a window where you can show up anytime and be seated. You should be able to see on your booking page on the Carnival website which one you have. You can probably google the exact prices for all the extra dining options, but I want to say most of them are $10 to $15 per person and include an app, entree, and dessert. The Steakhouse is $35 and include an app, a salad, an entree, a side (or maybe 2 sides? can't remember), and a dessert.

We applied for passports two weeks ago, so we can't check-in online yet. After doing so, will we be able to see what each day's activities are that have been planned? I'd like to know which night is considered elegant, which shows are available on which nights, which movies are showing on certain nights, etc.

You won't be able to see that stuff after checking in, but you can find it pretty easily on the internet. On the ship, you will get a daily schedule of events called the Fun Times. So right now you can probably search for something like "Carnival Dream 7 day Southern Caribbean Fun Times" (or whatever your particular cruise is, obviously) to find what you're looking for. The front page at the top of the Fun Times will say the itinerary for the day (either Sea Day or whatever port you're in that day) and whether its Cruise Casual or Cruise Elegant. Somewhere inside it will list the show for the night. Many people take pictures and post them online so it shouldn't be hard to find. Also, the movies change every month, so you won't know what movies are playing till the month of your cruise.

We will also be purchasing the Cheers! package. When does it begin...as soon as we board...as soon as we leave New Orleans...some other time?

I've never gotten Cheers but I believe it begins as soon as you board. Usually you have to stop somewhere after you get on to get the special Cheers sticker put on your Sail and Sign card. Also I believe you do have to pay taxes on all drinks while still in port, even if the drink itself is free.

What is the boarding like? Do they go through your suitcase and carry on? As we were not able to buy the FTTF, what type of time frame would we be looking at considering it will be mid-July (which I assume means more people)?

Most ships are now doing a staggered check in time. That means when you check in online, you'll get a specific window of time in which you can check in at the cruise terminal on the day of your cruise. Every port is a little different, but I think they usually start boarding regular guests (after Platinum, Diamond, suites, and FTTF... also wedding parties, I believe) around noon and are done by 3. It seems like a lot of ships these days sail at almost full capacity anyway, so there's always going to a lot of people no matter what time of year it is. They're usually pretty fast and get people on pretty quickly.

As for suitcases, you'll give any checked bags to a porter usually before going into the terminal. Those get scanned and then delivered to your room later in the day or sometimes in the evening. You and your carry ons go through a regular security line similar to at the airport. Some places have liquid checks, where they look at any bottles of wine you carry on, or look at cans you're carrying on and usually cut open the box to make sure you aren't smuggling beer cans. I remember this being done at New Orleans, but we went out of Long Beach last year and no one checked anything.

If you want to do your online check-in stuff you don't need to wait for your passports, just click that you will be checking in with a birth certificate. It really doesn't matter and you can change it later.

You don't need reservations for main dining you will have an assigned table and assigned dining mates.

If you go to the steak house on the first night you get a free bottle of wine or it's 30% off any bottle on the menu. If you like wine, buy extra bottles and take it to your cabin.

IMO, the best breakfast is in the MDR. The buffet is the best place to have lunch. I'm partial to the turkey wrap in the Deli station, but the Indian food is also good. There is also a pasta lunch in Cucina del Cappitano that most people don't know about until later in the cruise and it's included.

The thermal suite at the spa is great. If you want a spa pass, go to the front desk of the spa after you board and buy passes.

In regards to boarding in NOLA - be sure to only go during your boarding window. Wear cool and comfortable clothes as it is muggy down by the river.

The darkest areas on this ship will be forward above or below the bridge as lights must be off for navigational purposes and drapes must be closed.