New England/Canada Cruise

I Luv Crusin

I am thinking of booking the Rotterdam next Sept. 22, 2018. It goes from Boston to Montreal. We live in Northern VA and I was thinking of taking a train or fly to Boston, then rent a car in Montreal to drive back to Boston and then fly/train home.

Has anyone done similar?

I am thinking of booking the Rotterdam next Sept. 22, 2018. It goes from Boston to Montreal. We live in Northern VA and I was thinking of taking a train or fly to Boston, then rent a car in Montreal to drive back to Boston and then fly/train home.

Has anyone done similar?

I live in Boston area and have sailed Boston to Montreal many times. We stayed aboard in Montreal and sailed back to back, Boston to Montreal to Boston and then left the ship.

We sailed some of those times with friends who boarded in Boston wirh us, sailed to Montreal where they left the sh;ip. They rented a car in Montreal and drove home to Boston. They made a 2 2 1/2 day trip of it annd stayed in b qnd b a few nights. They said it was a very pleasant, easy drive and they enjoyed it.

You can also take a train from Montreal to NYC and then continue by train from there. No need to return to Boston unless you want to.

We've sailed from Boston to Montreal and Quebec City to Boston. We always do the trip to/from Boston by train from NYC. It's obviously shorter than from northern VA, but with so many options on the NE corridor, it should be easy for you to choose times you like.

I don't know of a train that goes from Montreal to Boston. You'd have to change somewhere. Be aware that if you want to take the train home from Montreal, it's a long day. I'd plan on an overnight in NYC because the Adirondak is notoriously late, mainly due to the border crossing. We love taking the train, but I have to say that's my least favorite route.

The drive from Montreal to Boston used to be 5 hours. My grandmother's sister and husband drove up twice a year to see her. As the years went on they started making it a 2 day trip because of the mountains in Vermont.

As much as I enjoy train travel, it is better to plan on flying. Two years ago when we sailed on the Veendam from Quebec City to Boston, we flew Air Canada from DCA to YUL Montreal, and then on to YQB Quebec City. Plenty of flight options are available from YUL.

Can't comment on the driving from Montreal part, but I live outside of DC and am taking the train to Boston for my Bermuda cruise in May. I love Amtrak, I'm from CT so I'm used to the long haul. I'm trying out the Acela for the first time going up though (stopping at home on the way back). Less than 7 hours to Boston, although it costs twice as much as the regular train. South Station is right near the port, although of course we're going up the day before the cruise. Looking forward to not having to deal with the airport.