Crew Demographics

greatver

Just got off a very nice South American cruise on the Zaandam and heard what I thought was troubling news: feeling is that crew demographics (now mainly Indonesian/Filipino) may be changing due to anticipated changes to US visa practices.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I Sure HOPE that is not the case. HAL is ALL a bout their wonderfdul crrews. HAL can never be the cruise line it is without the Indonesian and Filipino. crew.

I won't start to get upset about it Y et.

Hopefully it will be worked out.

At this point, it seems to be little more than idle l rumor.

Let's not spread un verified ruumors, please.

Edited by sail7seas

Just got off a very nice South American cruise on the Zaandam and heard what I thought was troubling news: feeling is that crew demographics (now mainly Indonesian/Filipino) may be changing due to anticipated changes to US visa practices.

There are no changes to US Visa practices with respect to either of these countries. Here's an excellent graphic to aid in your understanding. My apologies for the width.

86aedc56b543e5cefa3fae1384b486e6.jpg

The Philippines is a predominantly Catholic nation, in case you were heading in a religious discrimination direction.

Feelings, whose "feelings"? Who was your source? Ship's officers, management, crew, or ? I wouldn't place any faith in "feelings". Just the facts.

From HAL's own website, they are still hiring using agencies representing them in Indonesia, the Philippines, India, and the UK.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/halcareers/ApplyNowShipboard.action

I doubt that even this administration would mess with crew visas. These are not tourist visas, or work visas, and the crew are tightly regulated when joining and leaving the ship. If they started messing with crew visas, then the 98% of the world's maritime commerce, not just the cruise industry, would grind to a halt, and the 60% of our consumer products that come from overseas would disappear, and our exports would stop as well. Filipino, Indonesian, and Indian crew make up probably 85% or more of the world's merchant shipping crew.

Can I ask you who your source is of that alleged "troubling news?" Crew member? Officer? Fellow passenger? Thanks! :D

Source was an officer at the Mariner lunch. I can't give his name. I agree that one of the pluses on HAL is the outstanding service from the crew which is why this was so upsetting. I certainly hope it is wrong. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Source was an officer at the Mariner lunch. I can't give his name. I agree that one of the pluses on HAL is the outstanding service from the crew which is why this was so upsetting. I certainly hope it is wrong. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that and I certainly was not expecting a name. I know, as Cheng stated, that the Indonesian and, to a lesser extent, the Filipino crew members are already tightly regulated by U.S. CBP and the entire crew, regardless of nationality, so incl. U.S. crew, undergoes regular face-to-face inspections by that same CBP

I'm with you that only time will tell but, as of now, there is nothing on the horizon.

We did have some issues a couple of weeks ago with crewmembers of a certain Nationality ( Not Indonesian or Philippine) with a crew-visa not allowed to enter. This has however been resolved and attributed to overzealous immigration officers and the chaos when introduced.

I will refrain from further politics, let us hope that there will be no consequences for the Wonderful HAL crew.

My personal feeling is that all will be well. The USA simply requires Indonesian and Philippine crew. Without them, indeed no Merchant shipping to/from the USA anymore.

We find this post very suspect and wonder about the info. Our understanding is that non-US crew generally need to get a Non-Immigrant Visa (D) and will sometimes also need to get a transit visa. But we have seen no proposals that would significantly alter this Visa program...which is intended for crew members who work on all kinds of ships (including cruise ships). This is that same type Visa required of many international airline workers. There has been some talk in the news about limiting H-1B Visas....which should have little impact on Sea and airline crew.

Hank

Haven't heard of it. Hope it is just a rumor.