Items at Indonesian Tea

geoherb

They did not have the Indonesian tea on our cruise last month on the Zuiderdam. I'd like to prepare some of the items for one of my groups. My memory of what was on the menu when we went several years ago on the Westerdam is not great. What are the special Indonesian items on the menu at the tea? Does anyone have links to recipes that they have tried (and liked)?

One of the best things for us about the Indonesia tea .....is the coffee. Sumatra coffee is among the best in the world. So don't over look the two coffees they also offer.

My own favorite Indonesian sweet item are the little green crepes (pandan coloring?) that are stuffed with a palm sugar shredded coconut. Sweet with a little crunch and the soft, dense wrapping. They are quite small, but my own favorite. The servers wear batik shirts and hats and the serving area has been decorated with lovely fabrics, Indonesian musical instruments and fancy umbrellas.

They love talking about their own local favorites, but one often hears the best way to enjoy Indonesian food items is ...... when their own mothers make them.

One of the best things for us about the Indonesia tea .....is the coffee. Sumatra coffee is among the best in the world. So don't over look the two coffees they also offer.

My own favorite Indonesian sweet item are the little green crepes (pandan coloring?) that are stuffed with a palm sugar shredded coconut. Sweet with a little crunch and the soft, dense wrapping. They are quite small, but my own favorite. ......

The coconut crepes also come in hot-pink, but same taste and filling. Also my favorite with the French-press coffee, which they don't serve that way anymore, unfortunately. m--

My own favorite Indonesian sweet item are the little green crepes (pandan coloring?) that are stuffed with a palm sugar shredded coconut. Sweet with a little crunch and the soft, dense wrapping. They are quite small, but my own favorite. The servers wear batik shirts and hats and the serving area has been decorated with lovely fabrics, Indonesian musical instruments and fancy umbrellas.

They love talking about their own local favorites, but one often hears the best way to enjoy Indonesian food items is ...... when their own mothers make them.

Many have posted that the Indonesian tea and Royal Dutch tea are no longer offered on board. Is this true? I see that you were on NA earlier this year so maybe you have some knowledge of this. Some have stated that tea is now served in the Ocean Bar rather than the MDR. This is fine with me as long as they still have these unique offerings [the coconut crepes at Indonesian tea and the sausage rolls at RD tea are my faves!]. It would be such a pity of HAL does away with this small things that make them unique. **Hopefully the adorable yum yum guys are still outside the MDRs in their fantastic uniforms or a mutiny may occur! HAHA**

Many have posted that the Indonesian tea and Royal Dutch tea are no longer offered on board. Is this true? I see that you were on NA earlier this year so maybe you have some knowledge of this. Some have stated that tea is now served in the Ocean Bar rather than the MDR. This is fine with me as long as they still have these unique offerings [the coconut crepes at Indonesian tea and the sausage rolls at RD tea are my faves!]. It would be such a pity of HAL does away with this small things that make them unique. **Hopefully the adorable yum yum guys are still outside the MDRs in their fantastic uniforms or a mutiny may occur! HAHA**

We had a Neptune on this last NA cruise so we did almost nothing onboard this time, and stayed pretty much to ourselves or suite events.

But we did see afternoon tea being served in the sprawling Ocean Bar around the atrium. It looked lovely in that setting, but I don't think there was any buffet - it was more people were being served little prepared plates of goodies. Whether they had the Indonesian or Royal Dutch Tea, sorry I did not check on this cruise. Usually I am first in line for both of them on other cruises. Will report back on the Rotterdam coming up in a few more months.

There was not a tea served in the dining room on our 10-day cruise on the Zuiderdam last month. The one time we enjoyed tea at the Ocean Bar, it was the regular type of things we expected--little pastries and finger sandwiches. They had many of the same items in Explorations Café (the coffee bar up in the Crow's Nest).

The yum yum man was on the lower level of the dining room. We had fixed seating--on the upper level. But once we learned he was there, we'd exit down the stairs to see him.