Ships Tours

orvil

I know there is a behind the scenes tour of the ship conducted on the first day. When I booked the cruise on QV, I asked about the tour. The representative didn't have any information. I don't have a travel agent. I booked directly.

How do I make contact? Does anyone know how to get on the list? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

If you mean the paid for behind the scenes tour, it will be advertised in the Daily Programme. You need to sign up ahead of time and places are limited so there is no harm in asking at the Purser's office early on. It doesn't take place on the first day.

Host Hattie is correct in what she says.

As far as I remember :confused: ... this was my experience (QM2 WB crossing):

Advertised in the Daily Programme (1st day at sea, not boarding day). The following morning (ie 2nd sea day) anyone interested had to present themselves at the tour office in the Grand Lobby at 9am. I arrived about 15-20 minutes before and I was third in line (Only one of the two passengers ahead of me was on the subsequent tour). I gave my details and was told that they would let me know in a day or two. Two days later I was told I had been successful in my application, and received my invitation for the tour a couple of days after that. There were thirteen of us on the tour. I have no idea how many applicants were unsuccessful. My tour lasted approx 3 1/2 hours with a break for snacks and drinks. You have to be fit as there are a lot of stairs to climb. I was given a couple of "goodies" to take away at the end, + a certificate, and a photo with the captain (my photo was just with the Commodore, with me sat in a chair on the bridge (not the "captain's chair" as often reported, and no sign of his cap), I have heard that others sometimes have a group photo). Was it worth the $? Yes, every time. Excellent tour, lots of questions answered.

I have heard that sometimes it is not advertised at all, you have to inquire about it at the Purser's Desk. I would do both: Inquire and read the Daily Programme carefully.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

I know there is a behind the scenes tour of the ship conducted on the first day. When I booked the cruise on QV, I asked about the tour. The representative didn't have any information. I don't have a travel agent. I booked directly.

How do I make contact? Does anyone know how to get on the list? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of a ship's tour taking place on the first day. And as far as I know, the only full ship's tours are on the QM2 and not on the QV or QE.

All three ships though do a galley tour.

These tours are usually to 12 to 16 people. If less than a certain number , they cancel the tour. If more sign up , they might run a second if time permits . They are only held on sea days due to security.

There might be a tour on embarkation day gives an overview of the on boar facilities.

I've never heard of a ship's tour taking place on the first day. And as far as I know, the only full ship's tours are on the QM2 and not on the QV or QE.

I have done behind the scenes on all 3 ships and booked at the purser's desk immediately on boarding

Recently on the QM2 it was not advertised. A lunchtime tablemate told me that he was in line the first morning at sea at the Tour Desk before they opened. They were accepting approx. the first 6 in line and then were choosing names via lottery for the remaining spots. I had done the tour several years ago and we then had a lovely discussion about it and things he could expect. One of the other tablemates was shocked by the price but it really is a great tour and depending on your enthusiasm for the ship well worth it.

I have done behind the scenes on all 3 ships and booked at the purser's desk immediately on boarding

For QE I booked the tour on arrival at the Purser's desk. I'm unsure if booking on QM2 is the same as I missed my opportunity the first time.

I'll be heading to the Purser's desk first thing for my upcoming TA. I'm really keen to do the tour on QM2!

Hello

I did the behind the scenes tour on QM2 on a September 2013 crossing from England to New York....at least on my crossing it was not advertised but I knew to show up at the TOUR OFFICE the first sea day EARLY to get a place in line. When I go there there were already several people ahead of me. I was allowed the last spot. We were notified later in the crossing when the tour was going to be and where to meet.

To me it was worth the price of admission given what we were allow to see. I hope this helps.

Deck Chair

I did it on QE on my 2013 crossing (also the last segment of the World Cruise).

Roy

Hello, I would love to a ship tour, but I think it is an obscene amount of money.

Rodger.

Not really if you have a good amount of OBC to use up. It works out around £80.

You also get a chef's apron, a pin badge, a paper chef's hat and a photograph.

Hello, I would love to a ship tour, but I think it is an obscene amount of money. Rodger.
I think passengers who've not yet done the tour may feel that way, or maybe people who've yet to sail on QM2 (esp). However I believe most (almost all?) who have been on the tour would say that it represents good value for money, given what you can get out of it (not just the goody bag), the time it takes, the questions answered, the information given out, and how you're looked after.

Having said that there will be posters who will now comment that they felt it was a waste of money of course ;) .

Best wishes :) ,

Edited by pepperrn