Transatlantic - Ship Temperature

holidaydude

We are going to be doing a transatlantic from NY to Southampton in January.

Can anyone tell us what the ship temperatures are likely to be. We are about to start to get our holiday clothes ready, do we need to pack cosy winter clothes for our ship days?

Realise it will be very cold outside but unsure what it will be like onboard inside.

Any comments much appreciated.

Our latest (in the season) crossing was in October. During the daytime, I worn sweaters, or a blazer jacket, and slacks. I would have been too cool in just a shirt. On the hand, I wasn't overly warm in light-weight wool slacks.

I imagine inside temperatures will be similar for you in January.

We only ventured on deck once. Brrrrrr! I imagine you can enjoy the January sea from a window without going outside, at all : )

Have a wonderful voyage !!!

Sage advice above, but for some strange reason I would be more concerned about sea conditions. I did 2 TAs on QE2 in December, and one on QM2 in April, all were 6 nights. We had relatively calm seas on the fist and last nights, and in between it varied between force 8 to force 12. While QM2 handles these seas better than QE2 ( it should considering its size) I can assure you that QM2 will still rock and roll, as in waves crashing over the bow and such. Stabilizers only can do so much.

Of course, I love this stuff, but that's just me!

However, the north Atlantic can be hit or miss at that time of year, but more likely it will be hit.

Did B2B TA a couple of years ago, across on QM2, back on QE. Only one rough sea day, rest was very smooth, but the month prior, the sea was so rough people were posting videos.

Inside temperature was the same as always, except, they "upgraded" me to a balcony cabin on QE. The balcony doors may seal just fine for the Mediterranean, but it gets pretty drafty in a North Atlantic wind.

We did a TA in January two years ago. When we left NYC Super storm Hercules was passing. It was very cold in New York. There was a lot of snow and ice. While the QM2 beat the storm into port, we were delayed leaving due to late flights and hard working conditions in the snow and ice.

When we boarded the ship, our stateroom was a little cold, but the rest of the ship was toasty warm. The cold was radiating from the windows and outer wall of the ship. Once underway, things warmed up. I thought I would need wraps, but I didn't. Long sleeves, pants and sweaters were fine. It was cold outside. We wrapped up to walk the decks. We needed the exercise with all of the good food.

Once we were at sea we hit the Gulf Stream. The color of the ocean changed and the ice began to melt off of the ship in big chunks. The temperature began to warm. The weak winter sun was shining. It was delightful. I could walk the deck in a sweater and no coat. The pools were closed. The hot tub was open.

I wore evening gowns that were sleeveless and I was comfortable. I did not walk on the decks at night. Just bring a wrap for at night and you should be fine. Bundle up on deck. Keep moving. It will be cold in Southampton and New York.