Back from The Paradise

isladonna

Saturday to Thursday, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Myself and hubby, close to 60, 5th cruise, with our adopted 5 year old grandson. Not quite like our other cruises ;)

We made the mistake of taking the Carnival bus to the ship. Ladies at bottom of escalator there with sign, we had not reserved, but hubby talked to them so we paid $40, they gave us grandson free, but it took forever waiting waiting waiting,, ugh!

We planned on cabbing it, but hubby thought bus was good idea, NOT!

We paid out the you know what for a Jr. Suite, $2700!! Hubby had to have a balcony. Smallest balcony I've ever been on lol...and a "suite"? Trying to figure out what makes it a "suite" other than the nicer bigger shower. I guess because those are the only rooms with balconies on the ship so they are suites.

We had a really good time though! Our room steward was awesome! Neenja, pronounced Ninja, kinda. Never had to think about needing anything. Room done twice a day, ice filled everyday, it was great.

Everyone was so friendly, especially with our 5 year old. He drew alot of attention because he is so darn cute :D

When we got on the ship Saturday, the main pool was closed they were working on it :eek: It was open Sunday though. I would imagine people were complaining about it being closed though, on embark day.

The ship was easy to navigate. Nice being on Verandah deck, we have never been that high up before so that cut back on alot of walking. I didn't pay much attention to decor, didn't really are, I'm on a ship.

The kid did Camp Carnival a few times, they were great too.

Loved the cruise director Calvyn. He is so funny and had me cracking up.

Went to the 2 shows, the first one was really good, forget what it's called, the second was just ok.

The food, blah didn't really enjoy much. The salad bar and that area were good though. Never did the Deli or the Mongolian Grill. Didn't want to wait in line. Ate in the dining room 3 nights I think. It was ok. one night we never got asked if we wanted a drink, alcohol or otherwise.

Oh joy joy, we did the Dr. Suess parade to the lounge where Calvyn read the Cat in the Hat book and the kids sat on stage to watch/listen. They had a couple of people from the audience play some roles. It was funny, but I'm thinking really, I have to do Dr. Suess stuff at my age...on a cruise...lol..fun for the kid though.

We went with Stingray Sailing on a catamaran at Grand Cayman. Went to the sandbar and the staingrays were swarming. The kid was scared, but not bad, my hubby held him he didnt like freak out or anything. Then went to snorkel and that sucked. not a good spot at all and the water was alittle too rough. grandson knows how to snorkel but he woud not stay in the water, something was freaking him out, I dont' know.

Cozumel, took a cab to Playa Mia. THey have the cool water park with lots of kid stuff in the water, slides, fountains etc. then they have a bigger pool right next to that and beach access is right there too. It was crowded when we first got there, around noon. We got all inclusive buffet/alcohol and drank our fair share :D On the beach out in the ocean, they have one of those bouncy play things like a obstacle course. I braved swimming out there with grandson, both of us wore life jackets. I had to get pulled up on the thing and then I could not stand up. I was awful, for me!!! I scooted on my arse or crawled lol, im sure t was a sight! Then i was afraid to let him go off on it on his own, so he bounced on the trampoline some, which was next to me, but then I could not take it anymore. He was not happy, sorry kid, I'm old lol...Back to the beach.

Ate at buffet, nothing special. The entire area pretty much cleared out by 3 and we had the place to ourselves till leaving around 5. Would recommend this place, we had a ball here and the waiter, Johnny took good care of us!

Wednesday, at sea. Not much to do, swam and napped during the day.

we self debarked, piece of cake, no problem no issues. Our flight was not until 12:30, but grabbed a cab, $25 flat and to airport before 10.

That's all I know for now. In general had a great carefree trip!

THANKS for the review. I've always enjoyed my "Paradise" cruises, and am booked again in September. I had Calvyn on my last "Valor" cruise, and didn't like him at all, but that was his final cruise before being transferred, so perhaps he wasn't himself? :confused: Guess I should give him another chance. C.D. when I return to "Paradise", will be Steve Cassel and I REALLY enjoy him. Once again, thanks for taking the time to review "Paradise". Glad you had a great cruise.

"SKY"

THANKS for the review. I've always enjoyed my "Paradise" cruises, and am booked again in September. I had Calvyn on my last "Valor" cruise, and didn't like him at all, but that was his final cruise before being transferred, so perhaps he wasn't himself? :confused: Guess I should give him another chance. C.D. when I return to "Paradise", will be Steve Cassel and I REALLY enjoy him. Once again, thanks for taking the time to review "Paradise". Glad you had a great cruise.

"SKY"

You've mentioned Calvyn many times in threads. He was our CD last year on the Inspiration and he listened when guests had input and feedback and added some extra trivia games to the schedule. There was also a medi-vac the last day and Calvyn's professionalism on the PA throughout the transfer was reassuring.

OP thanks for your take on the Paradise. It sounds memorable for you and yours.

Edited by sanmarcosman

You've mentioned Calvyn many times in threads. He was our CD last year on the Inspiration and he listened when guests had input and feedback and added some extra trivia games to the schedule. There was also a medi-vac the last day and Calvyn's professionalism on the PA throughout the transfer was reassuring.

It seems I'm the only one who doesn't care for Calvyn, so perhaps it was just the fact that he was leaving the ship at the end of our cruise, or perhaps he was just having a bad day? In any case, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and sail with him again. Who knows, he may turn out to be one of my favorites. :D Thanks for your input.

"SKY"

We cruised on the Paradise June 20 and loved it. Calvyn was the CD but right at the moment he is serving as a fill-in CD. When Steve comes back Calvyn will go cover someone elses vacation. In my opinion he needs his own ship. It may just be my weird sense of humor(and my family's) but we thought he was great!

Thanks for your review of the Paradise. We will be in a Junior Suite in August. Not really expecting a lot of extra room, just like the thought of having our own balcony even though there isn't a lot of privacy on them. We're still trying to decide what to do for excursions. We've done Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, and the sea turtle/dolphin encounter in Grand Cayman. Leaning toward the sting rays this time, but haven't decided yet.

Edited by grima625